Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Answer Manitou Elastomers
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

OK, they’re seriously retro but does anyone know of a place I can get the elastomers for these? The compression elastomers have failed and the nearest I can find is £22 plus shipping from the US for a similar but not the same fork.

Dont suggest a different fork, I want my retro ones working, dont want to spend the cash on new and cant find newer ones that dont require sus corrected geometry.

Ta!

wors

I am supposed to be getting some new forks next week to replace my rockshox judy tt which have elastomers, you are welcome to them if they are any use.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oooh that could be handy if they’re long enough, I’ll have to measure, where abouts are you?

wors

Bolton

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmm well last week I was in Wigan, but now im ooop norf so it’d have to be posted. I’ll get some measurements tonight and see how they stack up?

wors

ok, all depends on these forks turning up, the guy i’m getting them off said he had to go away for a couple of weeks, last week.

Phil_H

Which forks?
    I’ve got a set of 98/99 sx going for spares

juan
    Free Member

coffee I am sure you’ll be able to get a coil that fit inside the fork. Will work so much better
    X

coffeeking
    Free Member

OK, no problemmo – I can be got on coyoteboyuk >> at >> hotmail dot com if and when you find out, I’ll keep looking in the mean time so don’t feel obliged in any way.

Ta

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If they are Mani 1’s or 2’s reckon you wil be unlucky. You can get springs, but they have no top out elastomer and by all accounts are crap
    People have tried to use various substitutes to no avail, if you do find some make sure you don’t use lithium grease, that’s what turns them all gungy

I managed to find some NOS for my 2’s from a canadian chap, but that was pure luck and there doesn’t seem to be many around now.

If they are 3’s or 4’s, think I may know where they are available, so get back to me if that’s what you are after

coffeeking
    Free Member

They’re mani 1’s (1991), just like these, theyre lighter than a light thing drinking helium:

The top-out elastomers are OK at the moment, its just the compression ones that keeled over (previous owner did indeed use lithium grease). I could try to get some coils of a similar size and cut and shape them to fit, leaving the top-out elastomers in place I suppose.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I am sure you’ll be able to get a coil that fit inside the fork. Will work so much better

No they won’t unless you fancy having a pogo stick on the front of your bike

You could try these people who i think have got Mani 1 elastomer kits
    http://www.suspensionforkparts.com/Home_Page.html

Hope you get sorted out ok

coffeeking
    Free Member

Good point, the damping is done by the elastomers. Good spot on that page, though they are a tad pricey – bookmarked as they may be my last resort! Cheers!

brant
    Free Member

You asked on Retrobike.com? Someone was on about something on there the other day.

Alternatively, I bet you could just stack up skateboard bumpers.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Just remembered about them, don’t think you will find anything cheaper though to be honest
    I paid 20 quid for my set and any that appear on Ebay fetch a goodly price due to their rarity value

From what iv’e heard the springs are next to useless and when you think about it they would be
    Shame their isn’t an air cartridge available like the Englund’s you could get for RS forks

coffeeking
    Free Member

Suspect skateboard bumpers are too hard, the elastomers are seriously squishy?

I’m just trying to find if I can get the elastomer in two-part mix, I did something similar with a differential mounting bush for my car that the manufacturer was charging £100 a time for, I managed to buy polyflex two part rubber (used to make polybush uprated bush stuff by manufacturers) for about £30 a tin, enough to make 3 bushes – it worked a treat, though it was a little hard to handle and came with instructions saying the fumes displace oxygen and bind to your haemoglobin permanently making it useless so I did it in a VERY ventilated place lol.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I may have to get one made up in the workshop at work TT 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Measured the standard rubbers (I have one remaining that isnt entirely chewing gum, only one side oddly?; 75mm x ~19mm diam.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Answer Manitou Elastomers’ is closed to new replies.