Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Another 'sold my car, now it's knacked' thread….
  • taxi25
    Free Member

Rightly or wrongly the op gave something of a verbal guarantee. To go back on that would be breaking his word. Plenty of straw men on here don’t seem to think that matters, but it sounds like it does to the op.
    Get the car checked out, and if the repairs needed are legitimate stick to your 50% offer.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

When selling a car always make sure it has one minor fault that you highlight, then put on advert and receipt spares or repair.

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh and a private sale means buyer beware and your responsibility to the seller ended the moment the money changed hands.

Caveat emptor means that there are no implied or statutory warranties but unfortunately the OP went ahead and gave an express one.

pondo

A verbal one’s not worth the paper it’s written on, is it?

hora
    Free Member

Rightly or wrongly the op gave something of a verbal guarantee. To go back on that would be breaking his word. Plenty of straw men on here don’t seem to think that matters, but it sounds like it does to the op.
    Get the car checked out, and if the repairs needed are legitimate stick to your 50% offe

From how I read it he said he wouldn’t walk away and he had offered 50% of the first price. Its a contribution otherwise WHEN does he stop? In another week the A/C unit goes? Then again?

Do you see my point. He was making a good will gesture.

konabunny
    Free Member

A verbal one’s not worth the paper it’s written on, is it?

I think that might be a philosophical question.

hora
    Free Member

I imagine the OP’s followed up with texts/communications so cant back out of that. If it went legal though he could argue a contribution but only if he could have a second opinion. Going to one garage and getting a massive bill from a diagnosis is nuts. If a garage gave me that big a bill I’d shop around. The fact that the buyer isn’t attempting to mitigate the costs is idiotic in the least (or lazy). In every business EVERY – you ring round for quotes, bids for business etc etc. You dont accept the first price.

Therefore its not unreasonable for the OP to ask for a second opinion. Hes offered to help however what he shouldn’t feel like he has to now is to have his money taken through the idiot who now owns the car.

‘Sorry you signed sold as seen, I said I’d help/contribute though as a goodwill gesture if there was a problem so soon after sale. For this to happen though I’d need more than the say of one garage’. As such I dont feel comfortable with the diagnosis, costs etc. (but better worded last sentance).

A court would see you as being fair I feel. Offering to contribute/help but not go **** crazy.

codybrennan
    Free Member

There’s a lot of it about!

davosaurusrex

Thanks for the responses all, even the character assassinations and GCSE psychology assessments…..

Texted him this morning and told him that my offer is fair and that if he had have had the car inspected and the fault came to light then I could have used my warranty and neither of us would be out of pocket so the responsibility lay with him. Offered him £650 as a goodwill gesture with no admission of liability but that is the limit. He phoned back an hour later, said the garage had told him a new cambelt by itself would cost £400, he appreciated my offer and would like to accept. We have agreed that I will pay the garage directly when the work has been done but I want to see photos of the car in pieces before I pay anything.

So there we are, let the cries of “you mug” etc recommence, I think it reflects worse on you than me. I do think I’ve been generous but I said I wouldn’t walk away in the event of a problem and my Dad always said you should be true to your word. Although he never bought us that windsurfer he promised us, the lying git.

@ Jamie – that’s three examples of compliments you gave me, I insist I pay you £30! PPG ok?

hora
    Free Member

No problems- get him to sign something with no prejudice/full and final settlement as agreed.

£400 cambelt? You mean aux (fan) belt replaced. That wouldn’t be £400.

A Cambelt would cost that much. If your cambelt failed it’d be a new engine on most engines.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I feel for you Dave, and having been in a very similar situation recently I know exactly what you mean.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hora . Only a bodger would refit the old cam belt if they had the head off

Not worth the garages rep

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You

But if you feel happier then fair play…

wwaswas

codybrennan – did it all go quiet?

hora
    Free Member

Ah good point, but thats the buyers choice. Plus £400 if the labour/hes already there doing something else/removing everything?!

Anyway – thats the buyers problem/wallet. Great news OP 🙂

dannybgoode

I for one think your actions are very commendable. You told the bloke you wouldn’t see him shafted if anything happened and you’re true to your word.

Top marks from me 10/10 on your handling of the situation.

Cheers

Danny B

codybrennan
    Free Member

wwaswas: nothing heard after the “I’m staying in a hotel tonight” text message.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can I just say it’s refreshing to see somebody keep to their word and not automatically assume the world is out to scam him.

To all those advocating the “tough tit” approach: What would you do if you sold a bike which was discovered a few days later by the buyer to have shagged fork internals? Same attitude?

Edit: Don’t sell anything to a triathlete again though!

wwaswas

cheers codybrennan. Glad it’s behind you now

davosaurusrex

Hundred! Now who’s the mug? Ha!

finishthat
    Free Member

A cam belt “kit” is at most £100 – getting the head off and on again involves removing the cambelt and refitting a new one.
    I admire you sticking to your word – but another quote might save you both money

DezB
    Free Member

Decent resolution. Well done.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

So, you’ve both accepted the first quote without getting any alternative figures?

Man, if I ever open a shop I’d love customers like that.

davosaurusrex

No, I got a quote from a garage I’ve used before, £1200. He also got another one, just over £1200 so not much in it. He wants to use his usual garage, I have no problem with that for the sake of £50, they also say if the labour comes in under the quote the price will be reduced accordingly. Why I’m spending my time typing this out for people who jump to conclusions on the internet I have no idea…….

wwaswas

Why I’m spending my time typing this out for people who jump to conclusions on the internet I have no idea…….

[jumps to a conclusion]

It’s ‘cos you’re jolly nice chap, isn’t it?

[/jumps to a conclusion]

DezB
    Free Member

Nicest bloke I’ve never met.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Ah, right you are then.

hora
    Free Member

Why I’m spending my time typing this out for people who jump to conclusions on the internet I have no idea…..

Then why ask the original question if you feel/felt that way.

pondo

Fair play, sir – I think you’ve done the honourable thing, even when you didn’t have to, and I hope karma rewards you generously. You deserve it! 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

@ Jamie – that’s three examples of compliments you gave me, I insist I pay you £30! PPG ok?

Charging you would be like kicking a puppy….I just couldn’t do it.

This kid on the other hand…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSQsphnbUEw[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

Meanwhile, man with ‘fixed’ car…

rp16v
    Free Member

u saving up karma tokens as u just aquierd a bucket load if id just purchased a car for 8k id be checking EVERYTHING on first and second viewing, i recentley bought a car for 700 and checked everything if i broke down 5 days later id be pissed but its my problem
    1200 is abit high but another 1200 for getting a head skimmed? also 400 for a belt and pump kit that has to be removed anyway there taking the piss out of him and you but hey it happens next time dont offer a verbal warrenty lol

_tom_
    Free Member

Lol just read the conclusion. Unbelievable.

davosaurusrex

It’s all true, I just want to be loved! Anyone want to spoon? I’m offering £650 for 15 minutes

Cougar

Well, this suddenly took an unexpected turn.

wwaswas

spooning?

this is where at it’s at now;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=effb2JYiKXM[/video]

pondo

Well, this suddenly took an unexpected turn.

That’s the last thing that car needs to do now.

legend
    Free Member

To all those advocating the “tough tit” approach: What would you do if you sold a bike which was discovered a few days later by the buyer to have shagged fork internals? Same attitude?

If someone sold me a fork, which later on I found had shagged internals I’d simply moan like **** on the internet then suck it up and put it down to experience because I know what buying 2nd hand kit means

Now…….. if I thought the buyer would’ve known all along……. I’d be buying a set of Bombers to go with the first fork.

_tom_
    Free Member

What would you do if you sold a bike which was discovered a few days later by the buyer to have shagged fork internals? Same attitude?

Yeah, dont see why bike stuff would be any different. Sold as seen and all that. Pretty much that situation has happened to me before as well, its just the risk you take when buying 2nd hand stuff online. You just need to stop being such a wet flannel.

ricky1
    Free Member

Well done OP,I’m convinced he’s a bit of a scammer though,giving a verbal warranty,I have to admit it sounds like something I would do,being a nice person leaves us open to p&@ss takers but that’s not our fault,hope you have learnt something from this because I have and probably a couple of others as well,sleep well my friend your soul is cleansed 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Another 'sold my car, now it's knacked' thread….’ is closed to new replies.