Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Another 'sold my car, now it's knacked' thread….
  • brakes
    Free Member

if you’re keen to make amends and he is taking liberties, begin to reduce your offer until he accepts.

Jamie
    Free Member

M’kay.

I miss Talkative Dave 🙁

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1wdAoSulm8[/video]

mudshark
    Free Member

Isn’t this why the AA offer vehicle inspections to potential buyers? Buyer beware for sure.

mrchrispy

i know you are getting stick here for not telling him to go and do one but I for one salute you sir. you are being more than fair and he shouldnt try and push his luck.

personally I’m not sure what I’d do.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be paying anything at all, and I’d especially avoid agreeing to pay a percentage. What if more problems get discovered?

Dealers charge more money because they’ve factored in these costs (though they almost always try and wriggle out of them or steer you onto the warranty).

takisawa2

Something doesn’t sit right with this whole sorry tale mate.
    Firstly there is this garage of his, kindly quoting a stupid price for a new head gasket.
    Then there is this farcical, Ooh, I paid you too much rubbish.
    Thirdly, there is you faffing about.

I feel for you, as you want to do the right thing.
    It’s well & good folk telling you to tough up etc, but it’s not their number he’s calling & making life difficult.

But, they do have a valid point.

Firstly, I’d call a few garages & ask for a quote.
    That sounds a lot of money for a head gasket change, if indeed it needs doing.
    Ask a main dealer what the std labour time is for the job.

Me, it would cause me some sleepless nights, but your offer to go halfs is more than generous.
    I’ve not heard of Ford TDCi engines having issues like this, they are tough old lumps. The injectors & DMF’s used to be an issue, but not heard about them having head gasket issues.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have a personal policy of never buying a car for a price I couldn’t replace the next day if it lunched itself.

I bought a car on Monday based on it’s description on eBay, a phone call and an email to the vendor. A fellow STWer volunteered to give it a quick test drive. On that basis I handed over my cash. The vendor even met me at the airport after a night shift as a doctor having just completed an emergency cesarean section.

As I turned the ignition on he said he’d filled up the tank as he felt guilty the tax disc had expired. We had arranged before my flight that he would renew that online at my expense.

When I completed the V5 all responsibly for the cars ownership and it’s liabilities became mine.

If the car blew up at the end of the street, at the end of the day’s 500 mile drive home, or next week. The responsibility for it’s repair is mine alone.

I bought a Discovery with a brand new MOT whose rear brake pads detached themselves from their backplates on the drive home from the Lakes to Fife. The engine was underpowered too. Both required maintenance, but that responsibility was mine.

I can see why the OP would want to do the right thing, but cars like everything in life are unpredictable, I would suggest that you absolve yourself of any responsibly and of any ongoing liability.

konabunny
    Free Member

This. He has absolutely no comeback if the vehicle was sold as seen.

…which would be the case if OP hadn’t then given the buyer some kind of woolly warranty.

I think at this point I
    I would be tempted to draw a line and say I’ve been as reasonable as I think I should be, you’ve rejected the offer, good luck with your knackered car.

hora
    Free Member

Second opinion at the very least.

The verbal ‘help out’ should be a firm contribution NO MORE.

Plus any private buyer knows its without warranty. He’ll keep pushing for as much as possible. Where to stop? You mention heating taking longer. Surely its colder weather plus HG is spikes in temp guage/poor running etc?

I smell something. Hence a second opinion before handing over any money at all. If the garage say sorry car in bits then you say Im out.

Grow a pair. Whose to say its not a simple heater issue and a garage is fleecing? No coolant top up in your care means something is fishy.

totalshell

i just paid 6500 for a vintage bike.. con rod snapped within the first 10 miles.. NO WAY would i expect the vendor to cough up anything other than sympathy..

your a mug and been taken for a ride.. the guy drove home thinking it was a great car and he d got a good deal. END OF..

hora
    Free Member

When I sell my latest car I will sell it with peace of mind as when I hear one squeek on a car I want it solved or it drives me crazy. So if I sold it and within a few days there was suddenly a massive issue I’d be pissed off with the buyer/offer nothing thinking something was fishy.

My engine oil is still clean 4, 000miles after its change 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

I too like to be liked and have had to learn to not let my dominant ‘Please People’ driver take over.

This is exactly why I write ‘sold as seen’ on the receipt when I sell anything that is mechanical, electrical or a mix of both.

Your generosity on this occasion is not all that admirable, given that you must have some self-awareness of your propensity to be overly nice and accommodating to people. Maybe this is here to help you learn to reign in your learnt behaviour?

wwaswas

Hora takes a lot of care to make sure his cars are in pristine condition when sold;

hora
    Free Member

😆 Oh I miss that car 🙁

martinhutch

In the same situation, I’d have bitten your hand off for the £650. The fact that he isn’t smacks of a chancer or a scammer.

Your conscience should be utterly clear, you’ve offered to go well above and beyond the call of duty.

Contractually, you owe him nowt. If he continues to whine about your massively generous offer, shrug and walk away.

(I’d want a second opinion on the damage at a garage of your choice local to him regardless of whether your offer is £650 or more.)

Cougar

he had paid what he felt was a dealer price because of the spec and condition he intended to bum you for several grand and because I seemed so honest gullible.

FTFY.

Seriously mate, fair play for wanting to “do the right thing” but this has “scam” written all over it. At the very least, you want to get the car to a second garage of your choosing before paying out a red cent. You’d be surprised how honest people can look when they’re confidence tricksters.

And to be honest, you offering to go halves and him kicking it back to demand you pay the lion’s share, I’d be revising my offer to be the square root of **** all. You’ve already said that they’ve pre-empted the second sting, ” If the head is warped another £1200 on top of that” – I guarantee, guarantee that if you were idiotic enough to go “oh, alright then” he’d be cap in hand for the other £1200 a week later.

“I’m terribly sorry to hear about the problems you were having with your car, and saddened that you’ve declined my generous offer to help with repairs. I wish you all the best, should you feel the need to contact me again please refer all correspondence to my solicitor.”

trail_rat
    Free Member

and on what planet is it 1200 quid for a head skim.

hora
    Free Member

Complete head gasket. coolant/burp etc- all in on a Subaru is £1,500.

There are two heads on a Subaru 😯

Fantombiker

In my eyes, by agreeing to fund repairs you have admitted liability. The buyer might come back to you for more repairs…Withdraw all offers.

As others have said, the garage costs seem very high, unless it was a main dealer. I had a head skimmed and it was only a few hundred quid.

theocb
    Free Member

OP I think you are doing the right thing and I don’t think you are behaving like a gullible fool at all. Stick to your principles and don’t listen to anyone telling you otherwise. It is possible to turn everything into a potential scam and 99 times out of 100 they are NOT so trust your gut.

Second opinion on the work sounds like a good plan if concerned at all about a scam.
    Make it clear the offer is in no way accepting any sort of responsibility and is a one time good will gesture.

Being firm is also a good idea. This is the offer and is purely a good will gesture and is way and beyond any legal requirement.

Try to get it all sorted in as short a time as possible so it doesn’t drag you down (due diligence still required, no hasty decisions but spend a bit of time sorting it all out in a short period.)
    Make a decision you are happy with and move on.

Good luck.

hora
    Free Member

his garage of choice

tomaso
    Free Member

Its all very nice offering to help out if anything goes wrong but why would you? No one has a crystal ball and can tell when a car may lunch itself.

He is the man taking a risk. You sold the car in good faith with all faults disclosed and no false representations. I really can’t begin to see how you owe him anything.

There are only two things you can guarantee with cars:

1. They will cause you trouble
    2. They will cost you money

Everything else like being taken places safely in them is optional.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I think you definitely need a second opinion from another garage. Smells very fishy to me on a 70K mile car with FSH and that’s been checked a few days before.

Don’t fall for it.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Put something in writing, sooner rather than later, short and to the point.

Dear buyer

On xx/yy/zzzz you purchased the vehicle dd44 xyz in a private sale from me. The vehicle was sold as seen, as stated on the receipt.
    You contacted me nn days following the transaction, informing me of a problem that had developed with your vehicle. As a gesture of goodwill I offer to contribute £xxx towards repair. This offer is made without prejudice.

This is my only offer in respect to repair to your vehicle, that was sold in good working order, and as already stated, sold as seen.

If you do not accept this offer and cheque enclosed, all further correspondence should be addressed to my solicitor.
    I am sorry you have experienced problems with your vehicle and hope you resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Regards etc

Send recorded too

_tom_
    Free Member

he sold his Merc 2 days ago for top dollar

So he should be able to afford the repairs then? Stop being such a walkover and tell him to do one.

rebel12
    Free Member

I had to ask him if he wanted me to pop the bonnet for a look, he didn’t seem too bothered

Really, I wonder why? The chap sounds like a complete tool to be honest. You are admirable offering something to pay towards the repair costs (genuine or not). Why not just limit it to a goodwill gesture of say £500, take it or leave it. That sounds fair enough in my book. Otherwise you’ll open yourself up to a world of pain and ever increasing strife from this idiot. A sold as seen sale means it’s his problem not yours and the only comeback legally he would have would be for him to prove that you had deliberately lied about the cars condition – which you didn’t if you were not aware about the alleged problem.

wwaswas

If the head is warped another £1200 on top of that” – I guarantee, guarantee that if you were idiotic enough to go “oh, alright then” he’d be cap in hand for the other £1200 a week later.

this is right.

They just need you to start handing cash over and then they’ll be back for more with a “Well you’ve already admitted it’s your fault”.

Either say that you’ve received further advice and have chosen to withdraw your offer or go with 49erJerry’s approach.

I’d be tempted to go to the garage to see the car, meet the guy hand over a cheque and get a receipt ‘in full and final settllement’

sharkbait
    Free Member

Your parting offer of let me know if anything goes wrong was purely verbal and AFAIK means nothing – the important bit is the piece of paper that says sold as seen and is signed by him.
    Tell him to stuff it. If he can’t be bothered to look at/into the coolant header tank when buying the car then it’s his problem.

[OT: Morning Jerry….. how’s the arm?]

mav12
    Free Member

i would go to the garage and pull the dipstick if theres water in the oil it will be a light coffee color but they may have drained it by now

onandon
    Free Member

It’s funny how many of these threads appear on piston heads each month.
    A car is sold with fully history only to go bang on the way back to the new buyers home etc etc.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

[OT Sharkbait, improving all the time. Range of movement improving daily as is strength. Still as weak as a gimmer though. Doing a couple of sets of girlie press ups last night was mildly uncomfortable… Wasn’t expecting to have the tedium of the Great British winter though. Dodging flying fish is much more agreeable! Still planning to get back out early March though.
    May be popping over to Nipper’s for a curry next week. Will let you know and pop in for a brew?]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

OP. Your desire to be liked is admirable, but you’re stiffing yourself in doing so.

Jamie
    Free Member

If this is all about being liked, then I will like you for a mere £10.

Examples of compliments you will get are as follows:

I love what you have done with your hair!

Have you lost weight?

I wish I was as awesome as you. Can you teach me?

Etc etc.

These compliments can be delivered via a method of your choice. Email, text, phone, song or via the medium of modern dance.

I am sure you will make the right decision as always*

*That’s a freebie.

rob81
    Free Member

OP, I am not going to join in with the assignation of your character! I once made a similar offer after selling a car and feeling responsible for the subsequent fault. However, the buyer became increasingly unreasonable, pissed me off and threatened court(which went nowhere and I cut all contact ). Good luck getting it sorted and only do what you think is right.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So he didnt even want to look under the bonnet initially? Warning #1!
    His garage of choice? Warning #2!
    How do you know the garage guy isn’t in on this scam?
    Which garage and where? Perhaps a local STW’r could sus out the garage and whether its likely to be genuine or not?

Oh and a private sale means buyer beware and your responsibility to the seller ended the moment the money changed hands.

He’s sussed you out as an easy play and your keenness to be nice sealed the deal for him.
    He wasn’t buying the car, he was buying you.

hora
    Free Member

It could be that the garage doesn’t know its onions. Plain and simple.

I took my car with a squeek and a noise to TWO garages, both established over 20yrs etc. Both were clueless. The latter were going to replace the exhaust, the plugs and the coil pack. None of these would have cured the issue. Only a STW’er cured them with after literally looking at the car for 2minutes.

butcher

If you do insist on paying (which is a noble and respectable thing to do if there’s a genuine fault with the car), I don’t think it would be unreasonable to request that the car is looked at by an independent garage of your choosing for a second opinion. It’s a lot of money. Not something to give away based on someone’s say so.

Cougar

He wasn’t buying the car, he was buying you.

Bingo.

If you want to give away free money then Jerry’s letter is perfect. If not, I’d suggest telling him to roll it tightly and grease it lightly.

Money aside, how are you feeling about this? Concerned? Stressed? Upset? All over a complete stranger’s car? Is it worth the hassle? Bollocks to him, he’s taking the piss and it’s not your problem.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Has anyone suggested he already had a Ford TDCI which had lunched it’s head and the garage is just swapping the engines/heads ? If you do go and see it, check the engine number against the chassis/V5.

I’d be telling him to jog on and stopping communication. Any offer you made expired when he demanded more money, and was verbal anyway so can’t be proven, you’ve got a piece of paper saying ‘sold as seen’.

bigyinn
    Free Member

One thing to think about is the engine in the car actually your former engine or a knackered one that’s been swapped out for the orignal engine?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Another 'sold my car, now it's knacked' thread….’ is closed to new replies.