Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Another Mountain biker stole my grips……..
  • gallowayboy

Nice sunny warm afternoon, so me and my partner pedalled up to our local swimming spot, left our unremarkable hardtails secured to a fence half a mile short as she’s not keen on cycling along the narrow flagstones. Its high up, quiet, and most folk up there are walkers or mountain bikers.

Got back to the bikes and bloody hell someones nicked my grips nice fat odi grips not bling and I liked them for longer rides. Now, the culprits were clearly mountain bikers (who else carries a multitool around with them) and also clearly one of half a dozen bikers who passed us as we sat by the reservoir, saying Hello on their way. Obviously liked the look of them so just took them. F****** spangle. Might even lurk on here.

Its not the crime of the century, but it left me gobsmacked. I guess I believed naively that mountain bikers were trustworthy decent sorts, not scrotes in baggies.

I feel like a little part of me has died today.

funkmasterp

That’s a really shitty thing to do. I’ll have a check in the shed, see if I have some spare grips I can post out to you.

martinhutch

Whereabouts? Might be dumb enough to log it on Strava.

gallowayboy

Cheers funkmaster, thanks for your offer but its not the grips in themselves, I have others, its just the pathetic wazzock and my naivety thats irritated me!

CheesybeanZ

Its not the crime of the century, but it left me gobsmacked. I guess I believed naively that mountain bikers were trustworthy decent sorts, not scrotes in baggies.

Scrotes need hobbies too .

spawnofyorkshire

My piss has reached a roiling boil reading this. Sucks for you OP

There are plenty of knobbers out there, unfortunately the biking community is not immune to them

Did you Strava your ride or are there any segments on it you can have a look for who rode today and then use the flybys function on the webpage (not app) to see if any stopped by your bike

gallowayboy

@martinhutch possible, if I have time later I may have a look…

spawnofyorkshire

@gallowayboy

You need to look today to get the names of who rode it today.

superstu
    Free Member

Really unbelievably pathetic thing to do, feel for you OP. However, I’m not sure what investigating on Strava will do – may or may not be anyone on there. Even if there was only one rider on Strava doing the same bit you won’t know if it’s them or someone else. Save yourself the stress and just (begrudgingly) move on.

bukobuko
    Free Member

The **** need’s a good beating with handle bars that have no grips on.

gallowayboy

I’ve had a look, the only people today recorded at the wrong times as far as I can see….

But then I don’t pay for strava, and only use it for finding routes 🙂

….and i’ve moved on as well, you cant really confront someone on that basis. Still pissed off though.

wordnumb
    Free Member

its just the pathetic wazzock and my naivety thats irritated me!

Yes, some people really need to get a gri… oh wait. It’s a really random and twatty thing to do.

singlespeedstu

PM’d you.

damascus
    Free Member

Are you sure one of your mates hasn’t ridden past and recognised your bike? Maybe thought you were off with the Mrs in a last of the summer wine moment and thought it would be funny to take your grips?

Where were you? Sounds like the spot above Todmorden. If you were then that’s become very popular recently.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s s really shitty thing to happen.

The second poster is my nominee for forum member of the week, though.

gallowayboy

Aye, Gaddings, but not the “popular end”. Don’t think my mates would be so daft – though my sons not above suspicion….:-)

….and thanks for the offers of grips, love your generosity, but I have a couple of others for replacements.

lotto
    Free Member

Nice and sunny afternoon in Galloway? Where? I’ve been Rhins of Kell walking then to Newton Stewart via Clatteringshaws and the rain never halted!

lotto
    Free Member

Ah, Gaddings Reservoir near Todmorden. That explains it, no way there was sunshine in Galloway on Saturday. Miss summer already.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I guess I believed naively that mountain bikers were trustworthy decent sorts, not scrotes in baggies.

I feel like a little part of me has died today.

I actually would stick to the believe that mountain bikers are trustworthy.

That’s part of the fun.

Forget the grips!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Had a customer come back after Ride London, with a rattle in his bars, turned out it was half/part of his bar plug,

I am sure Someone tried nicking his bar end plugs, as the screw and cap as missing and no threaded bit left in the plug (so not broken/snapped)  and they they loong screws, they only manage to get one! They where Cannondale ones.

the mind boggles!

tdog
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>singlespeedstu
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

PM’d you.

</div>

To give him his grips back😝

Blackflag
    Free Member

Find them,…. then own them with a pair of bombers!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Another Mountain biker stole my grips……..’ is closed to new replies.