Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Another ‘is it cracked?’
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So Mick do you think it’s fatal?

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way would that be a join. Nor could you bend it with your hands.

I’d go with a frame builder’s advice.

And the stress ion it will be low. Just ride it and keep an eye on it

forked
    Free Member

It looks like a crease, the tube appears to be slightly kinked in this image.

https://i.ibb.co/Qfpht9d/48289456752-f167ac52ca-k.jpg

mick_r

Is it fatal? Depends where the fractured tube impails you I guess 🙂

Something is going on with that tube and I’d definitely replace it if I was attached to the bike and wanted it back on the road. Plenty of people ride trigger’s broom frames because they have an attachment.

Talk to Argos.

Also measure / draw up the frame on bikecad or similar now before anything is done. You can then at least get a replica made in the future.

molgrips
    Free Member

It looks like a crease, the tube appears to be slightly kinked in this image.

Don’t think so I’ve checked it. The paint is really remarkably thick so I think the link you can see is just the amount of paint I’ve had to sand away.

chiefgrooveguru

My gut feeling (as an engineer – I’m meant to say that, aren’t I?) is that that is some kind of fatigue failure and if you’ve got that happening in the middle of the down tube, what’s happening elsewhere?

I’m the sort of person who likes to keep stuff for ages and repair it etc but with the cost of repair I’d buy something new or secondhand to replace it.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no way I can get what I want for anywhere near the cost of repair though.

molgrips
    Free Member

No WD40 seeped out.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Another ‘is it cracked?’’ is closed to new replies.