Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Angleset and frame stress?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempted by a cane creek Angleset. Wondering if slackening the head angle would put extra stress on the frame? Wondering if we’ll start seeing warranty issues?

LoCo
    Free Member

Interesting point, I suppose it will depend on the manufacturer/distributor dealing with the specific warranty claim.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Guessing slackening the head angle would have a similar effect on frame stress to fitting a longer fork, and if you are at the frame limit then that would push the frame outside of its design parameters. Know some manufacturers are explicitly ok’ing the use of angleset, I wonder if some are prohibiting its use?

mikey74
    Free Member

I raised this same question with the designer for Banshee, when talking about my Rune, and he said that it would have no effect whatsoever.
    For other makes/models, it may be worth checking with the manufacturer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

it’s got to be marginal imo

mikey74
    Free Member

I would guess that the angleset is designed to distribute the forces through the head-tube evenly, minimising any additional stresses that may be imposed.

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

“Guessing slackening the head angle would have a similar effect on frame stress to fitting a longer fork”

It won’t be that simple… The head tube ends up closer to the ground when you slacken the head angle, so hits from directly in front have less leverage effect. Though that’ll be a small difference.

TBH I doubt it’ll make any significant difference but I suspect it’ll reduce the overall stresses not increase them. Though i guess if you’re making a mod like this, you’re more likely to be using the frame towards the harder end of riding which by itself will stress it more.

But also, headsets can be easily removed before returning a frame 😉

Oh and PS, the Angleset’s a bit hypey/gimmicky and very expensive still, check out the alternatives from Works Components and K9, they have simpler cheaper designs. The Angleset’s got some advantages too and covers more headset standards but it’s just another take on an old idea.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Angleset and frame stress?’ is closed to new replies.