Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Angle headsets – any good?
  • drewd

I’ve got a Marin Pine Mountain 1 that I picked up in the sales last year, and as a package it’s not a bad bike. Far from perfect, but not bad. However, even at launch the press were stating how dated the geometry is. The Recon fork is usable, the 1×11 SLX gears are ok, and the brakes do the job well enough.

I’ve considered selling it and buying something more modern, but the resale value is really low. I’ve also considered buying a new frame and transferring parts over, but by the time I’ve bought the frame, a new rear wheel (stupid boost qr) and all the little bits there’s not much of value left on the Marin to sell. Many of the bikes I’ve looked at within posible budget are using the same fork and Sram SX or NX 1×12, which aside from being 12 speed don’t seem like a required upgrade.

Could I run a 2 degree slackset in a frame with a 44mm headtube with a tapered steerer fork? And if so, is there any point? Or should I just leave it alone and either ride it as it is or move it on any buy something better? I’m aware that it’ll increase the reach, drop the BB and change the head angle, but will there likely be any negative effects from this? The frame has a fairly short reach and high BB anyway.

chiefgrooveguru

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20-degree-ec44-ec44-angle-headset—to-suit-tapered-steerer-tube-1136-p.asp

It’ll lengthen the effective A2C length because the lower cup is external. I don’t think you can use a ZS44 lower cup angleset with a tapered steerer.

drewd

Thanks Chief, I believethe bike currently has an external lower cup so hopefully it won’t make too much difference.

Northwind

I love ’em, 2 of my 3 bikes have them fitted. Way I see it is, they can’t make a bad bike good, but they can make a good bike better. And that can basically keep you on that bike for longer. I had a 2 degree headset in my old Hemlock almost as soon as works got them out and it really did mean I kept the bike for an extra 3 years. Now I’ve got one in my Remedy 29- which has the best rear suspension I’ve ever used, but slightly conservative angles- and it’s helped make that into a really awesome package.

There were no negatives for the Remedy, or for my 456, or my 224 evo. The Remedy’s definitely waggier when climbing, not relevant normally but on real technical climbs it loses out a bit. But totally worth it.

drewd

Cheers Northwind, I’ll give one a go. I wouldn’t say my bike is bad, although I’m sure others may disagree with that. There’s no harm in trying it, if I don’t like it I can always refit the standard headset.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Angle headsets – any good?’ is closed to new replies.