Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • An open letter to motorists
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

When London centre is totally given over to the bicycle it will be total carnage

Ha ha! This is like 'If they let the Darkies in they'll rape our women and take our jobs and murder our swans and eat them and all our children will end up speaking only in Urdu!' (I am not for a second suggesting you're in any way like that, Whippersnapper!).

Come on. Central London, and the centres of many towns and cities in Britain, just aren't designed for motor vehicle traffic. The bicycle is the best form of transport, in so many ways. The recent 'explosion' in cycle use has led to some problems, but once again, the worst problem is too many cars. Pure and simple.

I tell you what I love doing; riding around the City on a Sunday, when it's all quiet. The best time to enjoy the place. Hardly any cars or people, it's actually amazingly serene and peaceful. It's then that the idea of banning cars really makes sense. Seriously, give it a go. You might just enjoy it!

(And you'll probably be able to jump a few red lights without anyone noticing…)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

We only need to look to certain parts of Europe to understand that mass transportation cycling would make our cities cleaner, quieter, safer, more pleasant, and quicker to move about. There are so many part time cyclists, full time drivers on here.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i counted over 40 sets of traffic lights on my 4 mile commute in london.

As with others, when i started comuting i stopped at them all, but most of the time i was waiting round like a chump in front of an empty road.

I think lots of drivers would dislike cyclist even if all of them followed the highway code to the letter. Complaining about RLJ'ing is just a rubbish attempt at rationalising it, like complaining about 'road tax'.

jond
    Free Member

>At least the vehicles keep us in check a bit. No cars will equal a no-holds-barred cycle free for all. I reckon we'll see more 'cycling' related accidents

Yeah, absolutely *terrible* fist-fights all over China before car ownership became more common, I dunno how they all survived…

whippersnapper
    Free Member

'If they let the Darkies in they'll rape our women and take our jobs and murder our swans and eat them and all our children will end up speaking only in Urdu!'

hee hee, I must take after my grandmother after all 😉

I share your sentiments about vehicles in the city centre Elfinsafety. I was just thinking aloud I suppose, based on the actions of the many self important cyclists about (Clerkenwell in particular).

I like you make use of sunday mornings for a spot of quiet city centre sight seeing. It is ace. Evenings after rush hour (but before the pubs close) is good too.

belgianbob

"One of the major junctions in York, near the train station, is being changed shortly, they are installing delayed lights where cyclists get the green light earlier than motorists to allow them to get away safely. Aparently this is the first of its kind in the country."

Actually I *think* they had them in Oxford some time ago, but I agree that they're far from common, and having more of them at busy or complex junctions would make negotiating such junctions much safer for cyclists, and remove the temptation for cyclists to RLJ. Apart from the fakengers and actual couriers, that is.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Part of me is quite surprised that there haven’t been (to my knowledge) any instances of cyclists being sued by drivers (for damages or trauma caused etc) following an accident caused by a cyclist running a red light (and I’m not saying it should happen).

dazh

Surely these lights which allow cyclists to go first will just result in more confusion as most drivers I see can't cope with understanding 3 lights let alone any more.

How about we just have a 2 lights, stop and go for cars, and a general rule that they only apply to cyclists if there is traffic or pedestrians crossing? God forbid we should empower road users with the power of common sense and responsibility.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

You're not alone Piggy, I stop at the lights but if I'm late I will hop off the bike, run on the path and then on the road again which is legal but usually I just wait at the lights.

I know so many roadies and mtb'ers who just go through it and once a van driver with an open window asked me why I was waiting unlike my 'riding buddy' who shot through the red lights- "because I'm not a ****" was my answer!

Jakester
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Come on. Central London, and the centres of many towns and cities in Britain, just aren't designed for motor vehicle traffic.

Well, bugger me. So all those grey strips of tarmac all over the place are actually snail superhighways?

What a load of tosh.

D0NK

Well, bugger me. So all those grey strips of tarmac all over the place are actually snail superhighways?

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the grey stuff was put on later, originally buildings in towns/cities were built around paths and horse/cart tracks. I'm pretty sure london existed pre car.
    Tho not modern stuff, see milton keynes, that was designed around the car I believe and I'm sure its a lovely place 🙄

coogan
    Free Member

I don't understand why it's so difficult to just follow the rules of the road. Never jump lights or mount pavements myself and get pissed off when others do. Seen a few end up over the bonnet of a car because they did. I just cycled passed them lying in a heap thinking they got what they deserved.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

dazh

Never jump lights or mount pavements myself and get pissed off when others do.

Why though? Fair play if you want to live your life to the letter of some rule book, but if people who take a more pragmatic and logical view as to whether a certain rule is worth obeying annoy you, then maybe you should take a leaf out of their book?

coogan
    Free Member

You're a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

Yes I am thanks. Not my fault some clown thought going through a red light straight into a car was a good idea now was it? He took the risk and it back fired. Tough shit, deal with it.

Why though? Fair play if you want to live your life to the letter of some rule book, but if people who take a more pragmatic and logical view as to whether a certain rule is worth obeying annoy you, then maybe you should take a leaf out of their book?

Rather not. I don't live to a 'rule book'. It annoys me as I fail to see how waiting a few minutes is going ruin someones day. Plenty talk on here about drivers going to fast to save a few seconds etc, well, it's just excatly the same as far as I'm concerned.

dazh

But why should it bother you whether someone else may or may not ruin their day by waiting a few minutes? And whilst you may think drivers and cyclists disobeying the rules of the road is the same, it just isn't. Maybe you should direct your ire toward a more worth target.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I appreciate what you're saying, coogan, but wishing harm on someone just because they've been a little foolish/made an error of judgement is a bit harsh, is all.

I don't live to a 'rule book'

Nor do I, if I can help it. But I'll make my own decisions as to what's safe or not. If I'm at a red light, and I consider it safe to proceed, I'll do so, and not worry about the opinions of others. If they decide to get their knickers in a twist over my 'lawlessness', then that's their call. I can't live my live worrying about what others will think, at every step of the way. I want to get places. If you chose to sit waiting needlessly at lights when riding on would make not one iota of difference in he general scheme of things, that's up to you.

There are worse things than a few cyclists running a few red lights. Driving two tonnes of metal around like a nutcase without any regard for the safety of others being one of them. Plenty more people doing that.

coogan
    Free Member

But why does it bother you that it bothers me? Sorry, forgot cyclists are never in the wrong on this website. 🙄

dazh

It only bothers me because there seems to be a large misguided consensus among people that the biggest issue of road safety at the moment is whether cyclists run red lights or not, and not any of the multitude issues to do with dangerous, ignorant or incompetent driving.

coogan
    Free Member

Yeah, I can understand your point. My point is as bad as some drivers are there are equally some bad cyclists. I cycle and drive round Edinburgh and both are as bad as each other. Yes, I know a car is heavier/bigger etc etc than a bike, but it doesn't stop the fact that some folk on a bike are a liability to themselves when it can't be avoided. And vice versa with motorists.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

My point is as bad as some drivers are there are equally some bad cyclists

I don't think you can say they are equally bad though. I mean if they really were equally bad, you'd see thousands of people killed and injured by cyclists every year. And, well, you don't.

Cyclists are not equally bad.

coogan
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot cyclists are never in the wrong on this website. 🙄

eshershore
    Free Member

It's the 'law breaking' bit that gets up people's noses. Esher shore; as well as the cyclists' misdemeanours, how many car drivers did you see breaking traffic regulations (driving whilst on the 'phone, not indicating, speeding, not using mirrors effectively, driving without due care and attention etc) because if you didn't see any of that, then maybe you lack sufficient observational skills needed to be able to ride safely in busy congested areas.

And only 14 sets of lights in 6 miles? What route is that?

14 sets of traffic lights in 6 miles is called smart commuting – finding a back street route to minimize use of main roads – yet even with my "only" 14 sets of lights, I find the majority of cyclists jumping the lights!

yes, there are always bad examples of motorists in London and I am extremely observant of all traffic whilst riding even during my back street commute – however the traffic speeds are relatively low in London, and I ride defensively giving clear indication to motorized road users…which is something MANY cyclists do not do

giving NO hand signals and making sudden turns = wondering why a motorist has nearly run into the back of them?

yes there are motorists using mobile phones, trying to speed in short clear gaps on the roads, but bad motoring does not excuse cyclists from acting like complete pricks and ignoring the rules of the road, or even just using any "common sense"

I have seen plenty of crashes over the years from traffic light jumpers, including attending a fatality which was not pleasent!

something to understand about the highway code – IF you are involved in a serious road traffic accident and have jumped a red light, don't expect the "law" to view your situation with any sympathy especially if you try to bring a civil claim against a motorist

stopping at traffic lights and giving way to pedestrians on crossings does not ruin your commute, just adds a little time – if you are that tight on time, try leaving your house 2-3 minutes earlier!

people need to take responsibility for their actions, and cycling like a prick does not help anyone

coogan
    Free Member

I appreciate what you're saying, coogan, but wishing harm on someone just because they've been a little foolish/made an error of judgement is a bit harsh, is all.

At which point did I wish harm on someone?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Interesting stuff.

When I used to commute through a big town I only followed one rule:

"Never do anything that causes any other road user or pedestrian to have to alter their own course of action."

With this you can go through red lights, ride on pavements, anything really as long as you're aware of everything around you.

Worked for me – I almost never had to stop.

Then I saw THIS VIDEO and realised what real skill is 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, you did say this:

I just cycled passed them lying in a heap thinking they got what they deserved.

From that I gather that you didn't stop to ensure they were ok. A bit callous, no? And does someone 'deserve' to be hurt for being foolish or making a bad decision? Their behaviour is hardly malicious.

D0NK

True, callous but not actually wishing them harm

some folk on a bike are a liability to themselves when it can't be avoided. And vice versa with motorists.

Yes cyclists can be a liability to themselves (very occasionally others) I presume by "vice versa" you meant bad motorists are a liability to everybody else? Cause thats what they are.

I'm not a fan of cyclists RLJing either but there's much more worthy targets for my disdain. Get the death by car numbers right down then start nailing RLJers to the wall if you so wish.

dazh

Well this morning on my 4 mile commute from Levenshulme to Manchester city centre, I went through 2 of the 5 red lights I was stopped at. One at a crossroads which had no traffic crossing which enabled me to get a headstart on the 2 lanes of traffic behind me, and another nipping through a crossroads when the ped crossing was on the green man and there were no peds.

In the same ride I also had a car cut in on me without looking in a cycle lane so that it could undertake another car turning right, and another car turn right across me at some lights.

So in one, fairly typical, ride I had two events which could have caused a bad crash simply because the idiot drivers weren't looking where they were going, yet probably still what you would hear is people going on about the fact I jumped a couple of red lights which affected no one.

coogan
    Free Member

From that I gather that you didn't stop to ensure they were ok. A bit callous, no? And does someone 'deserve' to be hurt for being foolish or making a bad decision? Their behaviour is hardly malicious.

Still not sure how that is wishing harm on someone. No I didn't stop, he was clearly fine, just with a massively dented ego. No, no one deserves to get hurt, but when you go through a red light in traffic and hit a car going through a green light, you also don't deserve any sympathy.

mooo
    Free Member

Herenamastebuzz –
    "Then I saw THIS VIDEO and realised what real skill is"

Lol, i wondered how long it would be until somebody posted a Lucas Brunelle video on here 😮 HERE is one they did in London, I fully accept this is an extreme and is nowhere near the more trivial light jumping we're mainly discussing but meh…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks Mooo I've been on his site and looked at most of his vids and some of them are pretty cool.

THe NYC one is my all time fave on Youtube – but in another guise with a more laidback soundtrack.

I think the London one is a bit less controlled than the NY one, maybe some of the riders aren't as skilled or maybe the different traffic/road set-up makes it harder? ONe guy even falls off in the carpark at the start.

I guess you can take elements of what they do and tone it down and icorporate it into your own commute to enable swifter progress.

Or just watch and enjoy 😀

mooo
    Free Member

No problem 😀 He was originally a road cyclist I think but got kicked out of his team for getting into fights (hmm, no surprises there). Their technical ability is impressive and on most of the red lights there is no traffic at all but… a lot of it is just stupid tbh. Quite near the start he almost runs into a police car while on the wrong side of the road lol

coogan
    Free Member

They are skillful. Jumping red lights. Cycling down the wrong side of the street. Almost knocking people over. Wow. Impressive…

mansonsoul
    Free Member

And yet, for all their rampant law breaking and dangerous stupid cycling, they are unlikely to kill anyone, bar themselves. I don't condone what those people do, in fact, quite the opposite: I find it appalling.

But lets not ignore the fact that cyclists don't kill people, motorists do. And motorists do this, not by breaking every point of the highway code like the cyclists in those videos do, but by their normalised illegality, i.e speeding, dodgy overtaking, using mobiles, paying bugger all care and attention.

dazh

Whilst I could never condone such breathtaking lawlessness, it's interesting that despite the speed they ride and rules they break, there still don't appear to be any accidents of any seriousness.

You could even take this as significant evidence that however reckless or dangerous cyclists ride, it's still pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things.

coogan
    Free Member

You could even take this as significant evidence that however reckless or dangerous cyclists ride, it's still pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things.

So it's dangerous and harmless at the same time? And just because they didn't show any accidents doesn't mean there wasn't any.

dazh

Fair enough, but the point still stands that however reckless and law-breaking cyclists can be, it's still much less harmful than even a mild case of reckless behaviour by someone driving a vehicle, and so the two things cannot be equated or even sensibly compared.

D0NK

it's tempting to agree with coogan that it's all semantics and all we're doing here is arguing over who the biggest knobs are, bad cyclists or bad motorists.

Then you see the enormity of the latest road death tolls and see how few are caused by bikes.

coogan
    Free Member

I'm not arguing who the biggest knob out of them are. I just find on here sometimes because its obviously a cyclist based site that there is whinging and crying over all sorts of stuff but the minute a cyclist is involved a blind eye is turned and they are clearly in the right. I'd never deny that cars/vans/trucks etc are going to cause more damage and more than likely kill some one, but if we all started jumping red lights, mounting pavements and the like I'm pretty sure you'd see a steep increase in people getting clobbered by cyclists and the inevitable outcry about 'bloody cycilsts' even more.

The most dangerous thing I can see in that video is the cars.

Oh, and hello Bob.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘An open letter to motorists’ is closed to new replies.