Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • An alternative to Conti Grand Prix 4000s iis
  • SaxonRider

For the roadies on here I thought it might be helpful if I offered a two or three line review of my new tyres.

Over the last 12 months on my best road bike I have used Conti GPs ii 23s, Veloflex Master 25s, and now Clement LCV 25s.

When I switched from the Contis to the Veloflex, it was a revelation. Some of that may have been due to the difference in width, although I doubt it, because the Veloflexes were a very narrow 25. Yesterday, however, I rode 90 kms on the Clements which represent a wider 25mms than the Veloflexes. And they were amazing.

Clement tyres have not often (if ever) been mentioned on here, but I would definitely put them up there with – if not beyond – the GPs.

Anyway, well worth considering if you’re going to be looking for new rubber as we head into spring (ha ha!) then summer.

TiRed

What inner tubes? Supple tyres make a big difference and latex inenr tubes can transform a ride. My favourites are Schwalbe Ones. Vittoria are a close second. Think Michelin make Clement.

schmiken

Challenge are also amazing. I switched from Continental GP 4 seasons to Michelin Endurance to Vittoria Paves And now Challenge Paris Roubaix. The Challenge are the best of the lot.

jamesco

Are we talking comfort or grip, or both ?

Northwind

It’s expensive to do but width makes such a difference, you can’t really compare much across sizes- my 28c GP4000s’s are way better than my old 23s, they don’t really feel like the same tyre.

atlaz
    Free Member

Clement tyres have not often (if ever) been mentioned on here, but I would definitely put them up there with – if not beyond – the GPs.

I had 28c clement tyres and they were great in the 120TPI version. Bike is stolen now but I’d buy another pair without much hesitation (although I’ve bought something else for the replacement just so I can try something new). They’re rebranded Donnelly Cycling now BTW

SaxonRider

Are we talking comfort or grip, or both ?

i would not claim that grip was better, although it felt at least as good. I am think in terms of comfort, and more subjectively, roll. But maybe they’re the same thing.

Significantly, there was a tangible difference. But, in light of what Northwind says, above, it could have just been width.

anyway, I was impressed. I’ll report back on the durability issue later in the season.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘An alternative to Conti Grand Prix 4000s iis’ is closed to new replies.