Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • An abandoned cat is using my garden as a toilet and I have questions
  • Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Besides bombers, frozen sausages etc. is there anything I can actually do about this? The cat (Siamese, I think) is not in great shape and is very thin. Would RSPCA come out for it or am I looking at at Cats Protection etc. I think the council only collect stray dogs, not cats.

I spoke to the woman who owned it, originally, but she says another family started feeding it and it won’t go back to her. I suppose the buck will stop with her, (assuming it’s chipped) if I can get someone to take it away.

It’s plopping in my slate chippings, stinks to high heaven, and it’s a nightmare to remove. Another misguided neighbour is probably feeding it but it’s me that’s getting the backwash, unfortunately.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The more of their shit I have to clean off the driveway, the less I understand why anyone would want one of the wretched things.

You* wouldn’t let the dog out to shit all over the neighborhood and decimate the local wildlife for a few hours, so why are cat’s acceptable?

*the 90% of vaguely responsible dog owners.

thols2

null

fossy

Cat’s protection/RSPCA might be worth a call. It can’t be well if it’s crapping on slate chippings – most bury their poop. It’s the owner’s responsibility – she should be getting it to come back, but may well get in bother for neglecting it – there is a reason the cat won’t go back.

PS no way are 90% of dog owners responsible. Out yesterday on the bike, one dog nearly pulled the owner over after the dog tried to eat me, then next off lead one went for me, then another started chasing me, not to mention all the bloody others totally out of control. Wouldn’t have minded, but the owners are **** clueless. I was being careful as I had ice tyres on, sliced dog anyone ?

dirkpitt74

Tell the original owner to MTFU and take responsibility for HER pet.

Or frozen sausages……

johndrummer
    Free Member

The cat (Siamese, I think) is not in great shape and is very thin.

If it’s a Siamese, they can be very thin, depending if ‘modern’ Siamese or ‘traditional’ Siamese. So just because it’s thin does not mean it’s in bad shape.
    I’ve got one of each & the modern Siamese is half the size of the traditional one

Tbh I’m surprised it hasn’t been stolen, they are not cheap

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

What’s the frozen sausages idea … just out of interest

ElShalimo

hammer them up the cat owners nostrils

argee

Just get some of the sonic deterrents and see if that does the job before hammering sausages into her lawn

mjsmke

You* wouldn’t let the dog out to shit all over the neighborhood and decimate the local wildlife for a few hours, so why are cat’s acceptable?

*the 90% of vaguely responsible dog owners.

More like 10%

IdleJon

hammer them up the cat owners nostrils

If that stops a cat from pooing then why was my cat rubbing her nose on my arm last night?

chakaping
    Free Member

Out yesterday on the bike, one dog nearly pulled the owner over after the dog tried to eat me, then next off lead one went for me, then another started chasing me, not to mention all the bloody others totally out of control.

You need to check your pockets for sausages mate.

hels
    Free Member

I think the RSPCA will come and collect it, but I wouldn’t open with the line “it is crapping on my garden can you rid me of this beast” try “a poor wee cat has been abandoned, it is starving, sick and in distress, can somebody look after it please”

woots787
    Free Member

Used coffee grounds sprinkled around the garden worked for us.

b230ftw
    Free Member

You* wouldn’t let the dog out to shit all over the neighborhood

That’s weird because that’s what dog owners appear to do most of the time. Including letting them crap on my driveway while on a lead. And on the pavements, and the footpaths in the towns and countryside.

More like 10%

I wish it was as high as that.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

it’s a Siamese, they can be very thin, depending if ‘modern’ Siamese or ‘traditional’ Siamese. So just because it’s thin does not mean it’s in bad shape.

The woman I spoke to, who originally owned it, commented on it’s poor state, since it was tempted away. It’s verging on emaciated IMO.

I don’t really want to go back to their house as her other half is a bit of a wrong un and they’ve made their position clear.

The clowns she says are now “looking after it” aren’t much better. I doubt either party will care if a shelter took it in.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

think the RSPCA will come and collect it, but I wouldn’t open with the line “it is crapping on my garden can you rid me of this beast” try “a poor wee cat has been abandoned, it is starving, sick and in distress, can somebody look after it please”

Sound advice but do I need to capture it first? I’m not a cat owner so I don’t have a carrier etc.

I think the arrival of her new fella, plus his dogs, might have something to do with her lack of interest in retrieving it. It was relatively well looked after up until then and didn’t really venture down our end of the street.

BillMC

Try a cat scarer off Amazon, about £20. Worked for us.

boardmanfs18

Smother the chippings in Sudocream.

turneround

They eat cats in the far East, maybe worth a try

joshvegas
    Free Member

Trap it and if it is a Siamese… sell it.

That’s your 2022 holidays paid for.

tjagain

Congratulations.  You have been adopted by a cat.  Your job now is to feed it.

VanHalen

give it a home – it will then crap in someone elses garden as cats dont seem to crap in their own

Olly
    Free Member

they dont crap where they live.
    Take it in, feed it, care for it, love it. Name it Mr Bigglesworth
    It WILL crap in someone elses garden

edit: beaten by 30 seconds.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve had the misfortune to meet a few cat protection league volunteers over the years – crazy cat ladies with purpose. One phone call explaining he’s moved in with his dugs and kicked it out and your cat will have a new home.

andrewh
    Free Member

Where are you?
    My neighbour works for local cat home, if you are in the Borders I might be able to help

PJM1974
    Free Member

You can either a) get a cat of your own, or b) adopt the Siamese cat, who seems pretty keen on recruiting you as his/her favorite human. It’s the highest form of compliment that a feline can give.

ernielynch

I would definitely get in touch with Cat Protection, they will sort the problem out fairly quickly imo. They will pick it up/trap it as necessary and re-home it.

Don’t bother with the RSPCA.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mRZ8iP]20200817_183435[/url] by Michael Clark, on Flickr" alt="cat" />cat

This was the fella, around 16 months ago. He/she was in good nick then, skinny as a rake now, ribs visible etc.

The fouling has only just started in the last week or two, no issues with it up until then

My next door neighbour has been known to feed a stray cat or two. I’ll have a word with her, see if she’s part of the attraction.

NE England btw.

slowol

To reduce the neighbour’s cats pooing on our veg beds I’ve found the granules from Wilko reasonably effective. I think they’re made from garlic and clay so the oniony smell deters the cats.
    Need to do every few days for a couple of weeks then the problem usually goes away until the next time I take a bed over ready for planting.
    It’s cheap to try and harmless, save an occasional whiff of onion when fresh.

ernielynch

My next door neighbour has been known to feed a stray cat or two. I’ll have a word with her, see if she’s part of the attraction.

Doesn’t really resolve the problem though. If Cat Protection are well organised in your area getting them on the case will.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Thanks ernielynch, will get onto them.

Will they report the owner for mistreatment of the cat? Just curious as they’ll probably know it was me that got them involved. Marching up there with a bag of cat cr@p and slate was the giveaway.

40mpg

My cat craps in MY garden. Can I get a refund from Blue Cross? Its a definite malfunction.

ernielynch

Will they report the owner for mistreatment of the cat?

I can’t imagine that Cat Protection would be in the least bit interested in that, rescuing cats/kittens and finding homes for them is their main priority, and IME they are very good at it.

Legal stuff is more the concern of the RSPCA, which IME lacks the expertise of Cat Protection when it comes to dealing with feline issues.

Obviously if the cat is microchipped there might be some legal implications concerning ownership but I have no doubt that Cat Protection will be able to deal with that.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘An abandoned cat is using my garden as a toilet and I have questions’ is closed to new replies.