Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Amazon Smile finishing
  • PrinceJohn

The one thing that made Amazon bearable to use morally will be finishing this year.

Apparently not enough people used it – hardly surprising since they never mention it anywhere.

doris5000

never heard of it!

kelvin

Apparently not enough people used it

I call bullshit. They don’t want to keep giving to our chosen charities*. Cutting all the corners they can. Say they’re increasing donations elsewhere… but not saying whether that increase is more or less than what they’ll save by closing Smile.

[ *mine is set as Tweed Valley Trails Association ]

ChrisL

I changed my Amazon bookmarks to Smile ones when I signed up for it, but the occasional emails I received from Amazon about them making Smile donations always did seem to report surprisingly small amounts of cash, given how much their overall UK turnover must be.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Shame, I’ve been using it for a few years now, they never publicised it much even when it was first created, but I’ve not seen any mention of it on the amazon site for a long time now, if they’d ever put any effort into it it would have been much more successful I’m sure. It didn’t surprise me that amazon never pushed it much as there’s no money in it for them, and that’s all they care about, but I was surprised charities didn’t publicise it a bit.

kelvin

They should introduce grimace.amazon.co.uk where they pay UK tax equivalent to that a UK high street independant shop would have to pay for the value of the order placed.

kimbers

. It didn’t surprise me that amazon never pushed it much as there’s no money in it for them, and that’s all they care about, but I was surprised charities didn’t publicise it a bit.

All of this,

Smile donations always did seem to report surprisingly small amounts of cash, given how much their overall UK turnover must be.

Also this

shame its ending, but was always ridiculous that they hid it away

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Shame, partner has had it set up on account for a number of years. 🙁

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

shame its ending, but was always ridiculous that they hid it away

I’m pretty sure I was put onto by the android app, once you signed up it defaults all your orders via app to smile.

To be honest I didn’t think that did a bad job of it all things considered.

multi21
    Free Member

We’ll continue working to making a difference in many ways, but our long-term commitment to our communities remains the same: we are determined to help create a better world for our customers, our employees, and the communities we serve across the country.

Translation: “We will be doing very little to make a difference from now on, because Jeff needs moar cash for phallus shaped rockets”

All this means is that I can no longer kid myself that using Amazon is okay because i am at least supporting my local school (that was set as our Smile beneficiary).

bearGrease

I didn’t know TVTA was a choice! I set my charity to British Red Cross. They probably got very little from me though as Amazon has been my retailer of last resort for years.

Pook

Gits.

I’ve got it as one of the routes for funds for Trail Pot.

CountZero

Apparently not enough people used it

I call bullshit. They don’t want to keep giving to our chosen charities*.

I’ve never heard of it, first time I saw any reference to it was as an article headline on Flipboard earlier today.

ross980
    Free Member

but the occasional emails I received from Amazon about them making Smile donations always did seem to report surprisingly small amounts of cash, given how much their overall UK turnover must be.

Exactly what I thought.
    The reasons given for ending it seem disingenuous, blatantly just a cost cutting/profit increasing measure.

Kuco

Used it for years, and I liked the idea of I chose who got my donation.

twistedpencil

Well it’s the final reminder to me to drop paying for Prime. I’ll be back when The Boys season 4 starts, but until then Jeff can find his cash for his cock rockets from somewhere else.

Kuco

I **** up with my subscription by leaving my credit card on and they have just got me for another year after constantly saying I’m not renewing it.

tthew

they have just got me for another year

Just cancel it now and whatever you paid for will continue until next renewal, then it will stop.

frogstomp

mine is set as Tweed Valley Trails Association

Mine is / was too.. looks like they received just over £300 from the scheme while it was running and over £18.5m to UK charities in general (£380m worldwide) so not to be sniffed at

Cougar

The thing that irked me with Smile was, even after you’d opted in and set it all up, you’d to remember to go to smile.amazon rather than http://www.amazon when buying things or it wouldn’t make the donation.

Whether that was intentional to reduce payments or not I can only speculate, but if they had wanted it to be more successful they could easily have made it more accessible than it was.

reluctantjumper

Shame, had it set for the theatre that my sister runs so it went towards funding their subsidised hire for local charities. They got just under a grand from it most years so we’ll worth doing.

Did annoy me though that some purchases weren’t eligible for it, usually larger ones.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.