Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Amazon Prime renewal scam
  • shinton
    Free Member

Anyone else getting these calls? A quick google shows they are raking in quite a bit of money so worth mentioning it to anyone you know who has Prime and could be a potential victim.

jon1973
    Free Member

What do they say when they call?

I have a recurring payment for Prime.

wordnumb
    Free Member

If somebody phoned me offering to stop Amazon asking me to sign up to Prime in exchange for a tenner I’d probably fall for it.

cogglepin

I’ve had an automated call from them telling me to renew my account but seen as I don’t have an Amazon Prime account I ignored it.
    However one of my customers, an elderly lady fell for it and got scammed for 10 grand.
    She got the money back from her bank I believe but she’s now really nervous about answering the phone.
    Set of barstewards.

DezB
    Free Member

I have a recurring payment for Prime

You’ve already fallen for it then 😁

Caher

Mine renewed the other day which was a bit unexpected as I placed the reminder last year, which somehow was not triggered.

tenfoot

Mine auto-renewed last week too. Third time and I’ve never had a reminder. I’m not looking to cancel, but I do think it’s a bit cheeky that they don’t send a reminder/warning out.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s what you sign up for, autorenewal is all part of Amazon’s scam er, terms – set your own reminder in google calendar or something, not difficult.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s what you sign up for, autorenewal is all part of Amazon’s scam

Why is it a scam?. I pay monthly for a service I use regularly. I can cancel anytime. Why is it anymore of a scam than say Netflix. Even if you have the annual subscription you can cancel it as soon as you sign up to stop it renewing.

shinton
    Free Member

You get an automated message saying your account will renew at £39.99 which is the wrong amount and if you want to cancel press 1. I had a call yesterday, put the phone down and a q google search showed quite a few people have been falling for this.

Had another call today so pressed 1 and spent 10 minutes with the bloke seeing how the scam worked. He gave me a dodgy web address amazon9640webnode.com which I obviously didn’t enter but instead told him I was on amazon.co.uk and looking at my Prime account. He said the only way I could get a refund was by going to the above website and he was pretty convincing/persuasive.

I then told him I had found this was a scam which he initially denied but when I said I felt sorry for him that he had to make a living this way he crumbled. The cheeky fecker then asked me if I would financially support him as he was poor.

DezB
    Free Member

^^ duh i’m so fick

ThePinkster

Yep, had one of these calls yesterday. I cancelled my Prime about 3 months ago and it didn’t sound right to me so was obviously a scam (to me).

They really are scum though.

whitedog149
    Free Member

I’ve read some reports about this Amazon Prime scams at http://whycall.me since few weeks ago. These scammers are very persistent. We should always inform our family about how these scammers work.

scuttler

Had another call today so pressed 1 and spent 10 minutes with the bloke seeing how the scam worked

Had one this morning but in between tying the kids shoelaces I didn’t pay any attention. If there’s not much going on next time they call will game the melon-farmers next time.

twowheels
    Free Member

@jon1973

Sounds fair enough but they are pretty sneaky with reactivation-

I had a prime renewal email totally out of the blue today. It was genuine and I assumed my account had been hacked. I had cancelled Prime in mid 2017. The card originally used for Prime had expired.

Turns out one of my flatmates had opened the Prime Video app on our Smart TV to use with her account – apparently simply opening it had reactivated my account with my new credit card, no confirmation. This is from a device I had not signed into Amazon with for well over 2 years!

frankconway

Scam emails doing the rounds for Prime.
    Also emails from Netflix – your free trial is about to expire etc; I don’t have an account. Called them – we have an account in your name; how was account opened?
    Online; your email address used.
    Did you send confirmatory email to me? No, we opened account.
    You just open accounts without any check? Yes, we can’t check every account application.
    Yes you can; update your system to automatically generate confirmation email to email address on application. If valid application new customer accepts; if a spoof, reject.
    Useless numpties.

HarryTuttle

The Smart TV thing happened to me as well. Wife took on a free trial, hit the ‘amazon’ button on the TV remote, next day I got an email saying my account had been reativated and my card charged.

They did re-fund promptly but it’s still a bit iffy, the solution is to log out on the TV when an account is closed so it can’t be re-opened without the login details.

AlexSimon

That re-activation thing is proper dodgy!

boomerlives
    Free Member

Experian is a real scam. Have the free month, ring to cancel and they will still charge you. And will continue to charge you until you ring them again.

They are not remotely apologetic when you accuse them either. Scumbags

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Prime renewal scam’ is closed to new replies.