Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Am I too strict?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

it was your money – you should have got all the change from the tenner.
    let ’em off at that point and i will have no sympathy when you are venting on here in 2-3yrs……

i got sent to the shop for 3 (somethings i cant remember) with a fiver.
    i returned with the 3 things and £4 change, **** in the shop short changed me by a penny, i didnt realise and my mum pointed out that whatever the unit price, there was something dodgy going on.
    cost me a damn sight more than that tho(cant recall if it was grounding or witholding pocket money £0.25/week (if b. probably cos she really didnt have it)), but i quickly learned to check my change, especially if it belongs to someone else.

binners

Just out of interest, has their been some fault in the time/space continuum, and some of you were actually brought up in a Dickensian workhouse? I’m just waiting for the bit about the withholding of daily gruel rations

ransos
    Free Member

An split of opinions. I’m surprised people think this is ok tbh different values I expect but I agree I could have been calmer. As for kids not doing little chores like this … Really?

I’m not sure people think it’s ok – it’s just that it’s not very important.

soobalias
    Free Member

weeksy:
    food – yes (do not take)
    toilet flush – leave it as you found it, clean!
    tv – how would a kid have a tv, if you want a tv, get a job, move out, pay rent, bills, tv license and enjoy whatever programs you like.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Bit over the top in my opinion but I understand why. I would have docked the pocket money if they get any and explained why they’re wrong.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

tv – how would a kid have a tv, if you want a tv, get a job, move out, pay rent, bills, tv license and enjoy whatever programs you like.

Exactly – If you wnat a bike, move out, open a steel fabrication workshop, buy a rubber plantation, mine some metals, build a forge, lay yourself a few hundred miles of road and piss off while you’re about it.

soobalias
    Free Member

now come on thestabiliser, i dont mind if they want to ride off road, but the trails dont maintain themselves eh.

*high fives*

emsz
    Free Member

What’s more important to you? The relationship with your son? Or the 2.00 he spent on some crisps? Did you not maybe think that he thought it would be ok? That its just some crisps?

Seriously, you went ‘mental’ over some crisps? have a word with yourself

thegreatape
    Free Member

OP – unless you had notices stating ‘DO NOT BUY PRINGLES WITH MY MONEY’ on either side and above your front door, and on the doormat, and perhaps at various points en route to the shops, then I don’t really think this is your sons fault.

dazh

As for kids not doing little chores like this … Really?

Well I suppose if you don’t want your kids to be your servants, then yeah. I am surprised that in this day and age so many people still follow a quite authoritarian model of parenting. This thread is a good example. I remember when I was a kid I spent a lot of my time feeling unjustly punished and unfairly treated by my elders. It didn’t teach me values, boundaries, morals etc, I worked that stuff out for myself, all it did was left me feeling rather resentful and angry.

chambord
    Free Member

This has reminded me of the time I ate most of the carrots from my dads veg patch and he went insane and chased me half way across Shropshire.

Ahhhhh memories.

binners

Choose your battles. Especialy when savoury snacks are involved. If you want crisps issues that are really worth going mental about , then my girls eating all the decent flavours out of the bloody multipacks, and leaving just the sodding smokey bacon, or roast chicken flavour…..?

Well…..

Sandwich

see 17yr old sitting in garden with his mates knocking my beers back. life is too short, your kids wont be at home forever.

They will if they drink my beer without permission, under the patio forever!

Rscott
    Free Member

I think you went over the top why not explain to him the value of a good quality snack,and explain next time ask.

How ever in my house it was my job to do the small shop runs, it was a mile each way. but we had an open fridge rule, anything could be eaten as long as we ate our dinner. (obviously within reason)

Im fully in the oppinion of brining your kids upright, but going off it over a packet of crisp when you could have just had a civilised word.

BoardinBob

+1

Your son now thinks his dad’s a dick

chip
    Free Member

When I was 11 I was given £5 to go and get my haircut.
    On the way I bumped into a friend who invites me back to his house.

A few hours later I arrived home hair uncut having lost the lot playing 3 card brag.

My hair grew quite long that year. .D

joolsburger
    Free Member

I went mental because my kid took money that wasn’t his to take and would again reading some of these replies explains a great many things.

ransos
    Free Member

I went mental because my kid took money that wasn’t his to take and would again reading some of these replies explains a great many things.

It explains that when you’ve asked if you’re in the wrong, you’re not very interested in the answer.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Why not focus on the fact that he went to the shop for you and bought what you asked?

binners

reading some of these replies explains a great many things.

Such as….?

* makes ‘Bingo Card’ list of the things about to be mentioned *

joolsburger – Member

So, you’ve asked everyones opinion, the majority say you were OTT, yet your reaction would be the same if it happened again?

Why ask?

soobalias
    Free Member

can i just use my dailywail bingo card?

dazh

I went mental because my kid took money that wasn’t his to take I have a short temper and an inability to control it in response to a challenge to my authority and would again reading some of these replies explains a great many things.

FTFY.

chambord
    Free Member

Ah come on OP, did you honestly think you would get a unanimous response from STW that what you did was 100% correct and totally awesome and exactly what everyone on here would have done?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

What no hummus? You need to put your house in order mate!

binners

Sounds like you’re probably stifling his creativity, and limiting his self-expression too. You monster! 😉

emsz
    Free Member

My dad had a jar of change when I lived at home (probs still does) it was full of brown coins mostly but if you rummaged around you could come up with the odd 50p or even v occasionally a quid!! I used to help myself to it.

How would you have reacted? As my dad was pretty much not bothered.

Your son probably understands the concept of stealing, and maybe technically he sort of did, when he helped himself to your loose change, but is it really worth going ‘mental’ about it?

SiB
    Free Member

I hope he came back with an empty tube, smiled at you as you were ‘going bonkers’ and said to you “well you know how it is dad, once you pop you cant stop”, that should have softened the blow for you that your son was stealing off you.

Way too harsh reaction IMO, you’re going to be a v stressed out individual by the time he is 16, maybe even dead from stress.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s true I’m a monster Binners

fr0sty125
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    +1

Your son now thinks his dad’s a dick

He is meant to be a parent not a mate. The kid was in the wrong he stole money he needs to know it is not acceptable at that age.

Out of interest what punishment did the OP dish out?

ransos
    Free Member

He is meant to be a parent not a mate.

I think being a parent means trying not to flip your lid over a minor transgression.

weeksy

He is meant to be a parent not a mate. The kid was in the wrong he stole money he needs to know it is not acceptable at that age

Can you not be both ?

Stealing money is taking it from your mums purse without permission. Not buying a bag of Pringles with the change when you’re given money.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve had him killed so all sorted now

I_did_dab
    Free Member

You asked you 13 year old son to do an errand and they did it without complaining or making a fuss – great result
    You gave them far too much money for a loaf of bread (assuming this isn’t an Islington artisanal loaf we’re talking about) so they used some change for an alternative source of carbohydrate as well as the bread – fair enough
    You flipped out – not cool.

You sound like the mum in Jack and the beanstalk…

binners

I’ve had him killed so all sorted now

You fool! You’ve just cut off a potential household revenue stream

globalti
    Free Member

Poor lad, he must have been thrilled to be entrusted with the tenner and was overcome with consumer lust and a feeling of wealthy recklessness when he saw the Pringles on the shelf.

I’d have told my own lad aged 15:

1 – You should really ask when you spend other people’s money, as a courtesy.

2 – You should have brought them back to your Mum as a present; she would have said “no thanks I’m on a diet” and then you could have scoffed them with a clean conscience.

He won’t forget the scolding though – I went to the shops when I was about ten and emptied my piggy bank onto the counter to buy an Airfix model but it turned out I was 3 pence short. The shop assistant told me to take the model and come back later so I went to my Mum to ask her for the 3 pence because I knew it was important to pay it straight back. She bollocked me for borrowing money, a lesson I never forgot.

Edit: kids in their early teens are desperate to please and be popular, my own son is currently curling up with embarrassment because while watching the TDF go past he shouted out “Come on Brad!” in a moment of enthusiasm. We keep assuring him that nobody heard but he is mortified anyway.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Taking something that’s not yours without asking is wrong I’m amazed anyone would disagree. But fair enough I am just old fashioned and too strict. I’ll get some coke and he and I can talk it over on the gak.

binners

Finally…. some bloody common sense. Don’t forget the hookers for later

weeksy

joolsburger – Member

Taking something that’s not yours without asking is wrong I’m amazed anyone would disagree.

It could be argued he was given it… never took it.

“bring back the change” is what my mum would have said to me …

I’m staggered that someone who’s a parent would act like this towards their own child. I’m all for instilling values, morals and scruples in mine, but there are ways and means of doing it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    He is meant to be a parent not a mate. The kid was in the wrong he stole money he needs to know it is not acceptable at that age
    Can you not be both ?

Stealing money is taking it from your mums purse without permission. Not buying a bag of Pringles with the change when you’re given money.

Shit I’ve been getting this whole stealing thing wrong!

Right I’m going to buy myself a Liteville 301 on my GPC after all I did use it for my train tickets for work I will use the rest on a new bike.

It wasn’t his money….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Am I too strict?’ is closed to new replies.