Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alternatives to Timberland boots?
  • dove1

Looking for the STW hive mind to give me some options for a new pair of boots.
    I have a pair of Timberland 6″ boots that have been great, but are now showing their age and need replacing. I would get another pair but a lot of the reviews seem to indicate that Timberland shifted a lot of their product abroad and quality has decreased.

What is recommended in a similar style?

chestrockwell

CAT? or have they gone the same way? My current pair have been going for years so have had no need to buy any more but thinking of upgrading in the new year.

maccruiskeen

Maybe have a look at Buckler’s ‘non safety’ range.

a lot of the reviews seem to indicate that Timberland shifted a lot of their product abroad and quality has decreased.

I’d take that with a pinch of salt unless there’s some empirical like for like comparisons being made. I’ve got some timberland shoes that are over a decade old and say ‘made in China’ inside.

aside from the (slightly racist) presumption that something made by a cheaper labour force is necessarily of poorer quality it’s worth keeping in mind that newer designs of boots tend to focus on lighter materials

my old Cat ‘combustion’ boots were tough as old boots. The ‘Dinems’ I replaced them with didn’t last half as long but they weighed far less – so I lasted longer when I was wearing them

kilo

My current timbies have been quite uncomfortable, probably third or fourth pair I’ve had, got some William Lennon boots much more comfortable

chewkw
    Free Member

What is recommended in a similar style?

Best Group Gust Walking Boots – Brown

I bought a pair and the quality is very good.

Just check if they have the size before order.

w00dster

I’ve been in Timberlands (6” Originals mainly) for a good couple of decades. Bought three new pairs this year, 6” Radford, similar to originals but I got them in a sale for much cheaper price, 6” heritage in brown and 6” tan D rings.
    I’ve not noticed any difference in quality. I’m currently up in northern Finland with the Radford D Rings, waterproof and comfortable. Lots of snow and a high of -8 during the day. (I don’t wear them when going into deep snow but they are great around the village)

Only paid close to RRP ok the heritage tan boots. I don’t wear the yellow boots in winter, but will get a good few winters out of the brown boots.

prettygreenparrot

Panama Jack. Very similar look. Better construction. Slightly cheaper than retail Timberlands. Made in Spain. Waterproof. They don’t have an extended or bellows tongue, this is their only downside compared to Timberlands. However, their verifiable waterproofness and more local manufacture won it for me.

edit

I’m not sure the move to manufacturing Timberlands outside of the USA is the reason my last 2 pairs leaked and felt cheap compared to my original ones from the 90s. I think it’s more like others described: more ‘efficient’ manufacturing and materials use. The result seems to be the same: lower manufacturing costs, higher retail price, maintained profit.

mooman
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Subscriber
    I’ve got some timberland shoes that are over a decade old and say ‘made in China’ inside.

Over 10 years? you probably not the best person to give an accurate review of the boots quality/longevity if you wear them so infrequent that they still have tread on them after 10 years!

I am in the market for a new set of work chukka boots. Been looking to get the Timberland SQUALL CANYON style … any real world reviews on them (from people who actually wear them)?

maccruiskeen

Over 10 years? you probably not the best person to give an accurate review of the boots quality/longevity if you wear them so infrequent that they still have tread on them after 10 years!

most of the time I wear boots – that’s why the shoes have lasted so long. My point was timberland have been making stuff outside the us for quite a long time.

dove1

Cheers, all.
    I like the look of the Panama Jack boots so may order a pair. I can always return them if I don’t like them.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like the look of the Panama Jack boots so may order a pair.

I have checked that too and rather nice quality.

But I got massive discount on Best Group Gust and the quality is rather similar.

bsims
    Free Member

Some brasher country travellers? Not as good looking but mine have been robust, comfortable and remained waterproof.

All my timberland boots have been made in China, Vietnam etc.. they have got progressively less comfortable and robust with each new pair, since my first pair bought for me as a present in 97ish. Leather lining replaced by plastic weave, cheeper soles wear out quicker, harder leather cracks, heal and toe inserts going soft and so on and so forth. Lower quality equals more profit and I don’t think their target audience plans on extended use – only what is fashionable this year.

unovolo
    Free Member

I have got some Aussie Redbacks(UBOK) and they are not fancy but are well made and supremely comfortable,

They do a couple of chukka style boots which if anything like the above should be pretty good.

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/row/work-boot-lace-up-uach-crazy-horse.html.

https://everythingaustralian.com.au/row/lace-up-everest-lined-puma-aquapel-uepu-dark-brown.html.

I have bought from the website linked too, which has been fine but you will probably be liable for customs fees(I was), but still worth it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve been buying Timberland boots and shoes for 30 years and the quality is still good. Trouble is they flip around with styles a lot and I’m a bit cross that I can’t buy the same waterproof/goretex chukkas I bought ten years ago. I still have them, but the latest version are quite different and not as comfortable.

stayhigh

As far as Cat boots go I had a pair the sole came unstuck on and the leather split along the crease line within around 3 months of use at work. Should point out I’m a nurse so while lots of time on feet its hardly rugged terrain or arduous conditions. Conversely I have a pair issued to the Post Office that an uncle gave to me BNIB when he retired which after 4 years of occasional use are brilliant.

Ultimately I went back to Dr Martens an haven’t looked back.

mooman
    Free Member

Dr Marten range at moment are uninspiring. I have the carbolic type chukka, but others in range are just the dated bovver boot of old.
    I wear them for office type work so do not want to look as if I going to pretend to work on a building site.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Timberland boots?’ is closed to new replies.