Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • alternatives to stan's yellow tape and/or thin rim tape
  • jonba
    Free Member

Tyres on my cross bike are a pain to get on and off. Currently using velox cloth tape and thought it might be easier if I used a thinner tape to give a bit more slack when the bead is in the centre channel (there isn’t much of a centre channel to start with which doesn’t help).

Stan’s yellow tape seemed like a good idea but it is pricey for what it is and I thought I’d do some googling to find an alternative.

Looks like Tesa 4289

http://www.tesa.co.uk/industry/products/tesa_4289.html

or 3M 8898

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0000000_nid=F76BMK1MZ8beTRGGC52N4Mgl

is virtually the same stuff at a fraction of the price

Anyone know where you can get hold of individual rolls as I can only see it in more industrial quantities where I need to buy 12 x 50m rolls.

Or any alternatives. Thought of electrical tape but I don’t trust it and the fabric reinforced tapes like gorilla are a pain to remove if I ever want to replace it ot it doesn’t work first time.

Genuine products are acceptable.

lipseal
    Free Member

Few on here have used electrical tape.

cynic-al

I’ve hoped for a cheaper alternative too but you’ve got further than my searches.

I’d be wary of insulating tape for cx pressures.

PaulB
    Free Member

Roval Tape (Blue) longer and cheaper than Stan’s.

Paul.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It is tesa 4289 but I’ve never found it in quantities of less than 72 rolls.

DrP

Group buy……?!

DrP

reggiegasket
    Free Member

3M crossweave. Tougher and cheaper than stans. I’ve done dozens of mtb and a few road tubeless using it and they’ve all been sound.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-ROLL-19mm-x-50m-Crossweave-Reinforced-Tape-/180337800112?pt=UK_Packaging_Materials&hash=item29fcf873b0

jonba
    Free Member

I was thinking buy a load and put it on ebay?

I’ve emailed the manufacturers direct and I’ll see if they get back to me.

I think the Roval stuff is the 3M tape.

“All” you need is pre tensioned polypropylene tape. Then you can compare the elongation factors and breaking/adhesion strengths.

rickon
    Free Member

I use electrical tape on my 26er Crests and it holds up fine. Pretty thin, and you can double it over.

Unless you’re taking your tyres off, badly, a lot with tyre levers, what is there to damage it?

Oh – and that crossweave stuff it what Joe’s Notubes uses.

coatesy
    Free Member

Insulating tape’s fine at mountain bike pressures, but even doubled up, road tyre pressures cause it to stretch through the spoke holes, and can literally leave you with a row of neatly punched holes.

cynic-al

That crossweave didn’t work for me tubeless, the sealant got under it.

rickon
    Free Member

Coatsey and Al – cheers for the clarifications, good to know 🙂

Does Stans work well with CX pressures?

continuity

Gorilla tape. Pretty sure e.13 supply it with their rims for tubeless.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘alternatives to stan's yellow tape and/or thin rim tape’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.