Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alternatives to Spec. Butcher tyres?
  • dan1980
    Free Member

According to the evil that is Strava, I’ve done a whopping 320.3 KM in a total of 19 rides on a pair of Spec Butcher control tyres. Both front and back have now gone through the sidewall and aren’t suitable for using as part of a tubeless setup any more.

There’s still loads of tread on them, so going to carry on using them tubed, but when they do go, is there a similar handling tyre (I’ve used aDvantages, and rate them too) I can swap to, with a sidewall that isn’t apparently made of cheese.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Budget option would CM front and SB rear VFM I don’t think they can be beaten (I’m running this). However I think a 2.3 HR II would be a better rear tyre than a SB. I’ve noticed that a HR II rear and Magic Mary front seems to be popular at the moment though I have never tried it myself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion in Exo casing has stood the test of time for me tubeless, and has a v similar tread pattern.

The On One tyres apparently have same casing, but I’ve not been running them so long to give a personal recommendation. Worth a try at the price though.

Northwind

Might be worth checking to see when the Grid version’s getting a UK release. Or you could size up to the Butcher SX, if you like the Butcher? The Control’s the lightest model of 3 so yes the sidewalls aren’t that tough- work great for me but some folks are harder on tyres

Simon

Have the side walls on the Butchers ripped or do they just look worn? Do they still stay up tubeless?

I’ve found Spesh Control tyres very durable, sure the sidewalls look thread bare on my rear Purgatory but it still holds air.

dan1980
    Free Member

Cheers folks for the suggestions.

The sidewalls look fairly well worn (see pic below) and in places the diagonal “fabric” type stuff that’s showing through has alomst gone through to the inner of the tyre. In a couple of places it has, and the sealent is only just able to plug these holes (one such hole in centre of picture). Turning at speed can pull apart the sealed holes and the tyre hoses it’s fluid out the hole again.

For info, I run these at around 30-35 psi.

zelak999
    Free Member

I really rate the High Roller 2.3’s. Tough exo sidewalls, tubeless ready, reasonable rollers on the trail, excellent grip.
    Not much not to like really.

bigjim

My purgatory sidewall is going a bit like that but the Butcher is fine. Maybe spesh had a bad batch?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Spec. Butcher tyres?’ is closed to new replies.