Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alternatives to High Roller front?
  • scotabroad

Sorry, sorry, sorry another what tyres but I have been out of the loop for a couple of seasons and I just wondered what might be the alternatives to a sticking a highroller on the front?

I like maxxis tyres and have been running a hardtail with ardent front and crossmax rear, which is great.

Out on full suss today which has an advantage front and a geax sugaro rear which was just horrible (its what was in the in shed when I built it)

So looking to stick and the advantage onto the back of the full suss and get a high roller for the front to increase grip for winter, and thoughts for recent alternatives?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Minion DHF. Better than the HR in every way IMO.

scandal42
    Free Member

On one chunky monkey. Made by maxxis but half the price

tomaso
    Free Member

What they said. For the money the Chunky Monkey is tough to beat.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another happy chunky monkey here

cloudnine
    Free Member

Minion dhf and ardent lust on the back.

andyrm
    Free Member

Onza Ibex – I run the 2.4 single ply on the front and 2.25 single ply on the rear. Best tyres I’ve used, cheap, lightish, tons of grip and good sidewalls. They also go up tubeless easily.

Lummox

Chunky monkey has replaced both my hr’s for no obvious loss in anything, and a gain in money in my pocket.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not maxxis, but loving the rubber queens my new bike came fitted with.

sprocker
    Free Member

Specialized butcher on the front for me, easy tubeless and grippy. Only about 26 quid each to

chakaping
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey +4

Or Minion DHF, or maybe Spesh Butcher.

All great tyres IME.

Edit: I’ve only used the 2-ply butcher Sprocker, how’s the carcass hold up on the 1-ply version?

mekon
    Free Member

Well it depends on what type of riding you’ll be doing.

fudge9202
    Free Member

baron fr rubber queen rear both black chili

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it depends on what type of riding you’ll be doing.

True but I assumed he meant alternatives for the same sort of riding you’d do on a HR.

matt1986
    Free Member

Another onza ibex fan here running the edc casing 2.25 front and rear really grippy and lasting really well. They also went up a treat on my ex823.

scotabroad

Thanks folks I think I will stick with the Maxxis and I had forgot about the minions, they came as standard with a Kona coiler I had a few years back and I thought they suited my style great.

sprocker
    Free Member

Chakaping – butcher has been holding up well after a couple of months

Northwind

Butcher is class- a better Minion, and no wonder since it’s made by the same people, only with a few more years of experience.

enigmas
    Free Member

-1 For Chunky Monkey, Ridiculously draggy, even compared to a pair of high roller 2’s in exactly the same casing, and always felt a little sketchy to me. Found they had a tendency to slide suddenly under braking and felt a bit unstable set up tubeless under 30psi. Sold them and went back to butchers as my all round tyre.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to High Roller front?’ is closed to new replies.