Automatic cars – does anyone sell one of these in the UK?

Home Forum Bike Forum Automatic cars – does anyone sell one of these in the UK?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Automatic cars – does anyone sell one of these in the UK?
  • Premier Icon rockhopperbike
    Subscriber

audi did a 20 tdi a4 with a cvt around 2005-2007

djglover

I think lexus do, but I don’t think they dial in the gear change. .. saw it on 5th gear being Nailed on the track and it was at a constant 6,000 rpm. Comedy. Not for me. I like autos though

PeterPoddy

£4K for a car with 140k miles on it?
    Not a forking chance.

PeterPoddy

but I don’t think they dial in the gear change.

That’s neither here nor there really 🙂
    I was just so impressed by that Altima, a truly fantastic piece of kit it was.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2012/07/31/daf-s-rubber-band-transmission-has-the-last-laugh/

A friends mum had a green one branded as a DAF, in the late 70s or early 80s

hora

Honda Jazz do a CVT

thegreatape

Audi, Subaru, Lexus, Honda off the top of my head.

allthegear

I have a Skoda Fabia with the DSG7 gearbox – that’s pretty smooth, although not a CVT of course. 180BHP is quite nice, too…

Rachel

PeterPoddy

with the DSG7 gearbox

Arn’t they the ones that cost £300 to change the oil on every 26,000 miles or so?

PeterPoddy

Honda ….. do a CVT

Yeah, but is it a REALLY REALLY good one? 🙂

PeterPoddy

There’s quite a few Qashcows around at reasonable prices but, well, phhhhhhhhhh. Errrrrr. Yeuch.

Premier Icon madhouse
    Subscriber

There’s bound to be someone who can import one from Japan – they’re right hand drive too.

rc200f8

Suzuki use CVT’s in their new SX4 cross & the Kizashi, both have the option to use the box in six speed manual paddle shift mode too.

allthegear

Peterpoddy says:

Arn’t they the ones that cost £300 to change the oil on every 26,000 miles or so?

No – DSG7 gearbox oil is not supposed to be changed.

Rachel

hora

Rachel if you keep signing off each post I’ll sign mine off carebear.

Carebear

allthegear

Dear Carebear,

that’s good to know.

Rachel

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Rachel if you keep signing off each post I’ll sign mine off carebear.

Carebear

There’s a reason she does it hora and I think everyone’s kindof bought into it and accepts it’s part of who she is on here now?

hora

Im soft and cuddly.

Carebear.

allthegear

To be fair, I only do it these days ‘cos it’s just habit…

I could stop, probably…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I could stop, probably…

DrP needs the company though 😉

wayniac

Nissan sell CVTs in the UK on Micras, Notes, Jukes and Qashqais

PeterPoddy

We’ve just come back from the USA and whilst there we did 2100 miles in the hire car, a Nissan Altima, which isn’t for sale in the UK.
    Now, obviously, it had an auto box and for a start I thought nothing of it (I like autos) other than noticing how smooooooth it was. Then as I drove more I started trying to see if I could count how many gears it had. Nope. Can’t tell. It was utterly, totally seamless on acceleration, literally no sign of it changing gear at all. Only if you put your foot down did the revs climb and gear changes became noticeable. Seriously impressive.
    So I googled the car. Ahhh. That explains it. It wasn’t a conventional auto but a CVT!
    Now I’ve only seen CVTs on small cars before but this was some seriously impressive box. Under mild and steady acceleration the revs stayed low and constant giving seamless drive. As soon as you back off the revs dropped to just over tickover and cruising at 80mph was a tad under 2000rpm.
    Being a real geek, of course I checked the fuel consumption whilst we had it. That never dropped below 35 (UK) mpg which was during some spirited driving up lots of miles of Rocky Mountains and twice topped 40mpg.
    I’m assuming the “gear changes” I could feel when I booted it were electronically selected ratios to give the impression of gears, as such a thing is available on some auto motorbikes.
    Now this is a 2.5l 4 cyl petrol engine with 183bhp tugging a pretty big car about (I’d say it was bigger than a Mondeo)
    So it was doing pretty much what our 1.6 manual Focus does, fuel wise. I can live with that!

But does anyone make a CAR (not MPV or 4×4) with this box or similar in the UK?
    Nissan don’t.

slowoldgit

Rachel, if we had a vote I guess the majority would say keep the sig.

PeterPoddy

Nissan sell CVTs in the UK on Micras, Notes, Jukes and Qashqais

Yep. But one is too small, one is a box driven by old people (And still to small) one is a 4×4 (stylee, and therefore useless) and one is the second most ugly car in current production (after them fat Minis)

PeterPoddy

Seat Exeo CVT.

C’mon! I’m a bike mechanic. D’ya think I can afford* a new car? (I wouldn’t buy new even if I could**)

*I can actually.

**But it ain’t gonna happen. Never spent more than £5995 on a car in my life, and we still have that one!

hora

Err…you’ve just been to the US.

I cant afford the US.

Carebear

PeterPoddy

Err…you’ve just been to the US.

I cant afford the US.

A trip I paid for ONE WEEK before I was made redundant and took a 45% pay cut, sonny boy!

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Pick one

A guy up the road here has one, a 2.5l auto IIRC. Gets it serviced at local dealer without any issue.

Premier Icon tor5
    Subscriber

Wouldn’t a Vauxhall Ampera do essentially the same thing, engine at constant RPM, no gear changes in the transmission. Except rather than a gearbox doing the clever stuff there is a battery and some motors?

PeterPoddy

Wouldn’t a Vauxhall Ampera do essentially the same thing, engine at constant RPM, no gear changes in the transmission. Except rather than a gearbox doing the clever stuff there is a battery and some motors?

Yep. Probably. As would a Priuis. Already been there.
    But you cant tow a trailer leagally with a Prius in the UK. No type approval see?
    Also, are there any used ones around?

Premier Icon tor5
    Subscriber

hmmm, think the Ampera is a bit different, because the engine never actually drives the wheels – it is simply used to provide juice for the motors, a bit like a diesel loco. It’s apparently quite nifty because the engine can be tuned for maximum efficiency at a set RPM, rather than having to perform reasonably across a range.

No idea about towing though, or used examples

<caveat>
    This is my understanding, based in part on something I saw on topgear, therefore likely to be bollocks
    </caveat>

wobbliscott

I had a Merc A class rental car with a cvt a few years ago. Got to be the future. What’s the point in having defined gears between your highest and lowest ratios?

The lexus CT200 Hybrid is a CVT, as is Audi’s S-tronic on most new models.

Nonsense

Or you could just use a proper car with a gearstick …

thegreatape

S-Tronic is dual clutch
    Multitronic is Audi’s CVT
    And their torque converter auto is still called Tiptronic

Premier Icon Rio
    Subscriber

Audi multitronic/m-tronic is a CVT, available on A4, A6 and no doubt other VAG models. I used to have an A4 estate with a 2.4 petrol engine and the CVT; that transmission was a brilliant piece of engineering and I don’t understand why it’s not more popular. At the time the 2.4 was the largest engine they did with the CVT but I see from their web site they now do a 3L diesel so I guess they’re confident that it will take a shedload of torque.

Have also hired an Altima with the CVT in the US; the VAG implementation is better IMHO.

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

I had a Merc A class rental car with a cvt a few years ago. Got to be the future. What’s the point in having defined gears between your highest and lowest ratios?

The Merc A class CVT is known to have lots of issues.

I guess the “always in the right ratio” of CVT is becoming less of an advantage as we head now to 9 speed autos

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Automatic cars – does anyone sell one of these in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.