Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Alternative Christmas Dinners
  • slowoldman

Picking up on the December EDL thread, given there may be fewer people around the table this year, what are people planning? Turkey and all the trimmings or something smaller scale? A quail or two perhaps?

onehundredthidiot

Just two of us, hopefully, so Chateaubriand and lobster mac n cheese with chips.

NY day will be a play on the steak pie by having beef wellington.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tradition is overrated.

That said, I do rather like turkey so I don’t mind eating it. But if I didn’t, there’s no way I would!

kilo

First Christmas on our own (after 18 years) for Mrs Kilo and I, probably like a roast dinner with no meat on it. And booze – champagne and wine lots of it!

sam_underhill

If it stays dry, I can feel a BBQ coming on! Normally, cooking for the in laws, I’m not permitted to stay from their version of tradition, so we’ll be mixing it up this year for sure!

jp-t853

Pizza as usual

p7eaven
    Free Member

Just two of us this year. First time for years.

I just wish booze and chocolate all day. Sherry! Maybe some freshly baked (vegan) sausage rolls with a few homemade pickled onions. Evening wine with posh crisps and some salted peanuts with some nice IPA. Some Veganzola and crackers.

^ Beigemas day! Dreaming of a brown christmas 🤣

(What will actually pull out because realise it’s not all about grumpy self):

Proper home-baked nut roast or posh pies (Pieminister Kevin), brussels, chestnuts, roasties, trimmings, cabbage,stuffing, gravy.

Some Lidl mince pies with homemade brandy butter.

Dog gets a steak pie (bits of) every Xmas

Now I’m hungry.

mogrim

MiL will be here, so I’m guessing it’ll be a traditional Spanish Christmas with suckling pig or kid goat. I’m not particularly enthusiastic about either of them: they’re fine, just unexciting. I’d rather have turkey with all the trimmings 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

This thread is giving me ideas about suggesting fajitas instead of the traditional dinner this year! 😆

LeeW

I’m going all out this year as it’s the first Christmas lunch I’ve ever cooked for others, three families is 14 of us in all. I’m determined not to cook turkey, I don’t mind it, but it’s not my favorite.

Fore rib of beef in the Kamado BBQ
    Capon and loin of pork (I wanted to do Goose but apparently it’s a step too far)
    Nut roast for my SiL and other half
    Roasted veg, potatoes, parsnips etc.
    PiBs, home made pork stuffing – I got a mincing attachment for the Kitchen Aid.
    Pasta for some of the little ones

Need to think of a starter, will probably do self serve picky bits.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Curry, same as every other year

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Either 2 or 4 of us – with my (new!) GF and mebbe he sister+partner. She’s ordered £65 worth of venison as part of an £85 meat order for the 24th and 25th (she’s Hungarian, we therefore get 2 xmas’). we’re planning on roasting the venison with coffee, spices and chocolate, I believe.

Needless to say, I’m looking forward to quite the feast!

slowoldman

Capon and loin of pork (I wanted to do Goose but apparently it’s a step too far)

My mum always did capon rather than turkey. Much nicer. I only tried goose once and was disappointed by how little was left after all the fat had oozed out (brilliant roast spuds though). Only two of us for Christmas so might just be a loin or belly of pork stuffed with brandy soaked prunes (again) though I could fancy a rib of beef or maybe venison (not much experience there though).

Whatever we go for there will be a mountain of chipolatas.

tjagain

Nothing! I have not eaten a lunch on xmas day for decades.

FB-ATB

Since we got a pizza oven in the summer, I’ve suggested turkey pizza. FB Jnr isn’t impressed as he wants proper turkey dinner so pizza may be on for boxing day

sadexpunk

Pizza as usual

we’ve just had that idea too, make good use of the pizza oven we got in the summer. 1st christmas just the two of us, so we’ve decided to have christmas dinner on christmas eve, then save some turkey, sprouts and PiB’s, and have them on a BBQ sauce based pizza, probably still with the usual pizza fare, mozzarella, pepperoni etc.
    different!

EDIT: typing same time as above, great minds 😀

FB-ATB

I might even relax my no fruit on a pizza (yes I know tomatoes are a fruit) and allow cranberry.

Was meant to pick up some turkey pieces to experiment but can’t go out as I’m quarantined and forgot to add to the shopping order.

Drac

Traditional beef.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

We’ll be having a homemade chestnut & mushroom wellington. Might try making some veggie pigs in blankets this year too.

Pudding will be something heavy and chocolatey. With lots of cream.

Maybe, if the weather’s ok, we’ll fire up the pizza oven on Boxing Day

colournoise

Doing a Julbord for the second year running. Such a chilled way of doing the big meal, plus pickled fish so it’s a win win!

frankconway

Ptarmigan.

wait4me

Mother in law requested my steak and Guinness pie. Gotta say I’m absolutely delighted to oblige.

johnw1984
    Free Member

No one having a traditional Japanese Christmas meal and ordering KFC? 😂

Gribs

Cheeseburgers. I’ve managed to make it into a Christmas day tradition for me and the wife as it’s not much effort and very tasty after a decent walk and a few beers. We’ll have a roast on boxing day.

doomanic

A Parmo…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Last year, we had turkey, cranberry, stuffing sandwiches, eaten ironically while out on a ride.

We’ll probably try for the same again.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If the weather is half decent I’ll be going surfing on the 25th so whatever I can cook on a camping stove. Christmas dinner in the car park two years ago was avocado and scrambled egg on some fresh bread.

mrb123
    Free Member

Ptarmigan

My step dad has actually eaten a ptarmigan. Found one out on a Munro that appeared to have been freshly killed, probably by a peregrine falcon. So of course he took it back to the camper van and cooked the breasts.

We’ll be having slow roast pork shoulder this year.

ElShalimo

When is just the two of us, we usually just have sirloin steak as it’s much easier than cooking a turkey 🦃

Breakfast tends to be bagels, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for a treat to set us up for the day.

I hate having a large meal around lunchtime so we just have dinner early around 6pm which means we can do something during the day ( walk, bike etc)

Scapegoat

Son and his vegetarian partner coming to stay (all bubbles considered and COVID secure!) .She doesn’t eat farmed meat, so it’ll be pheasant or venison.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Christmas Dinners’ is closed to new replies.