Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alps alone- who's done it?
  • Ambrose

Looks like I’m riding alone this year. Very XC orientated. Opinions/ suggestions welcomed. I’m planning to drive down for a week or so, probably in early or late August. I’ve been to PdS loads of times before but never on my ownsome lonesome. Billy no-mates!

Mackem

Done pds myself, no probs, good vide in Morzine, always someone to chat to in a bar, the riding is good evven for XC mincers like me.

stripeminister
    Free Member

I’ve recently just booked myself on a weeks back country riding with White Room Chalet, I’ll be driving down by myself 1st week of September… It’s also my first biking trip to the alps, and also on my lonesome….

Ambrose

Oooh- now I’m a bit tempted to maybe go further afield than PdS.

johnhe

I’ve ridden alone in pds many times and never a problem. Well, lots of problems actually, but no accident type ones.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Chamonix. Anywhere else is less.

p.s. don’t go unless you are as fit as nails.

darrell
    Free Member

i went to Bike Village on my own once. Had a great time

But i also used to live in Switzerland, so it only took me 4 hours to drive there

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve done Whistler properly solo – I got one guided ride then stuck to marked xc trails, had a fantastic time – being on your own means you can focus on riding, but if you can’t find riding mates you do need to ride conservatively.

Also went solo to a chalet in Morzine, I got on fine, group of 10 mixed well.

Mackem

Actually, why dont you try the Pyrenees. You could go guided with http://www.basquemtb.com or you could go to “Zona zero” in Ainsa. Waymarked natural rides. Great place, great riding.

MTB Travel Guide: Zona Zero, Spain

They’ve added a few more marked rides since the above review and you can download GPS tracks for other rides.

http://bttpirineo.com/

johnhe

I’m not sure i would ride alone at Chamonix. I’ve ridden there several times, and it’s my favourite place to ride, but the danger level is considerably higher (IMO) than somewhere like the PdS. The drops off the side of the trails are much scarier!!

flap_jack
    Free Member

If you go over it’s no different if it’s 100 feet or a thousand. The feeling of being ‘in the mountains’ is incredible in Chamonix.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alps alone- who's done it?’ is closed to new replies.