Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What's the fastest speed you've reached on a mountain bike?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Using GPS, old fashioned speedometer or racing a wild animal to calculate,

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I did 31.1 mph the other week which is the first time I used my Garmin for speed. My mate has done 41 mph but I think that was on his road bike.

nickc

About 45 down a very steep road on the mountain bike. Fastest on a road bike was 53, but that was converted from a computer showing 85 kph dunno how accurate they are tbh

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

49.5 on the quantocks one summer. 55 on a road bike into Shepton Mallet.

I’ve not measured speed for years though.

Bregante

Over 40 on a straight fast section at La Molina bike park. (my mate passed me doing 43 or something)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

36mph on the final descent at Relentless 24 according to my gps. Wouldn’t like to go a whole lot faster off road to be honest.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

47.5mph, with 2″ Schwalbe Marathon XR tyres, carring 40kg of loaded panniers, down the Lidis Pass in NZ. I’d met someone a week before who’d managed 50mph on the same road but I just couldn’t (relatively safely) manage it.

Edit: According to my old computer, I’d regularly achieve around 180kph every time I crossed the border into County Durham from Northumberland.

andytherocketeer

327km/h is the fastest I have readily available evidence for, although I have clocked in excess of mach 1 uphill before.

OK in reality, just over 60km/h on the descent to Champery.

MadPierre

Dunno? Can’t tell with my eyes closed!

asterix
    Free Member

~75kph on a MTB in the Quantocks (like Scienceofficer)

~80kph on a road bike coming down from Buttertubs Pass – I whimped out at the thought of hitting one of those stone walls

Tom-B
    Free Member

39.7 mph on a downhill fireroad.

binners

43 down Drum Mountain. My poor brakes were absolutely cooked at the bottom, and I had oil pissing down my fork legs

thewanderer
    Free Member

82kph – Around 50 mph on the “red hot rim run” back in the day before discs! It’s an 8km long fireroad north of Melbourne. Can’t believe I would do that on a rigid xc bike wearing shorts and t-shirt.

In a great display of physics if you hit a rock (and there were many) the bike would have so much inertia it would just pop back into shape.

fivespot
    Free Member

Usually going my fastest just after leaving the bike, but got no speedo on my body to tell speed. I’m sure there is a scientific formula based on bruise size and body weight to calculate speed of impact though 😳

martinhurton
    Free Member

46mph in the Quantocks also, must be the same hill 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Managed 60kph on the bit down from the top of the Marmottes lift near Morzine. Probably managed more on the roads down from the goat village, trying to get away from the smell…

Rachel

RustySpanner

Off road, 41 and a bit across the fields after you cross the road on the drop down from Embsay Moor to Bolton Abbey.

This seems to be the average speed that most people hit without really trying going by previous threads on here.

I reckon I could beat it on the drop down from Drum to Llanfairfechan, but I’m too scared these days and it’s not worth missing the view. 😀

EDIT – just noticed Binners post – great minds & all that… 🙂

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

43 down Drum Mountain. My poor brakes were absolutely cooked at the bottom, and I had piss down my legs.

FTFY

andytherocketeer

Goat village road was too busy. Stuck behind cars, and couldn’t pass them on inside of the bends.

Too right about the stink though.

Road to champery is less bendy.

scuttler

50.0 mph down Wessenden Head Road in Meltham with a mahoosive tail wind (Avocet speedo)

mangatank
    Free Member

55ish on the road bike, 40ish off and on-road on the MTB.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

GPS max speeds are pretty unreliable anyway, aren’t they? If it loses a point or two then snaps back, that could surely produce a duff reading?

bigyinn
    Free Member

51mph going down Butser hill nr Portsmouth with a tailwind once. 😀

spawnofyorkshire

71kph (44mph) downhill in the slipstream of a wagon. I could feel myself getting pulled along in it’s wake. Completely sh*t-scary and brilliant at the same time. Never managed more than 55kph on the same stretch of road since

messiah
    Free Member

1991 when I last had a computer on my bike I used to clock 41 on a local offroad hill and 43 on a road hill… on my Rocky Mountain Blizzard with rigid forks.

I tried fitting a 52 tooth chainring to see if I could go any faster but it didn’t work.

I’ve not had a computer or GPS since as I really don’t care how far or fast I’m going.

portlyone
    andytherocketeer

GPS max speeds are pretty unreliable anyway, aren’t they?

Very.
    And Endomondo/Strava/Mapmyride/Runkeeper filter and process the data even more than the Garmin/Magellan/etc. and make it even more unreliable (but usually probably lower on a “good” track).

My 60+ km/h recorded on VDO speedo is reported at about 40km/h on endomondo.

That 327km/h reported on Runkeeper appears absolutely normal on Endomondo, despite it being the exact same GPX file.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

About 45mph down a closed road in Morocco on my MTB & about 55mph on my road bike in the Alps.

Not sure I could go much faster on either…

warton
    Free Member

i once hit 63mph on a MTB on a road in Newcastle when i was 16. Looking back, I probably hadn’t set it up correctly 🙂

Hit 54 on a road bike before, not sure I’d want to repeat that sort of speed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

45mph on a road (on a mountainbike)

Not really something I’d measure, the faster your going the easier the track probably is.

lowey

Comes up regularly this thread.

Again, descending Drum Mountain into Llanfairfechan with Junkyard and Justme from here… Junkyard’s GPS showed 49mph and I went past him so thinking just over 50mph.

Its very wide and grassy so you cant really get a full idea of just how fast you are going until you hit the brakes. I admit to being a little scared when I pulled the lever.

allthegear
    Free Member

I gave a friend my GPS to stick in her pocket on the Fantasticable – recorded a nice smooth acceleration to just short of 100kph and back.

Rachel

pictonroad

50mph at dusk on Tioga mud tyres on a damp road, dropping from the end of the South Downs way into Eastbourne, it’s flinkin steep and I was braking ‘so’ gently to avoid what I knew would be horrible death.

Off road, 40ish..

DezB
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

55mph on the (road) descent to Glossop in the Peaks (Snake Pass?) – on my mtb with a big rucksack.

Offroad, 43mph in Richmond Park

(both via speedo)

superfli
    Free Member

49.5mph in mid 90’s down Butser Hill according to my bike computer. That still stands for me. Minimal front suspension, but big chainring and bigger balls.
    Same hill last year I got 44.5mph measured on phone, bike comp and Garmin, so I know that is accurate. Its on Strava too. http://app.strava.com/segments/2388865

LoCo
    Free Member

A mate clocked 55mph on a fireoad in the Alps (dh bikes) (computer, we checked the setup afterwards too) I had gone past him at the point a bit faster as well (full aero tuck), so who knows 😯 😕

Bit dissapointed if I don’t hit at least 30mph when I go out on the MTB

Sandwich

40 mph off the top from Gillamoor down the road. Quite exciting when the bike is set up soft for off-road.

Scapegoat

48mph on a flat bar Boardman down Round Ings, and 47 down Ripponden Bank on a MTB. Off road, just a whisker over 38 down the old fire road finale at ‘Degla.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What's the fastest speed you've reached on a mountain bike?’ is closed to new replies.