Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alpkit Sleeping Bags – Alternatives for the Thrifty Bikepacker
  • tomd
    Free Member

After another night freezing my nuts off in an old Mountain Hardware Lumina sleeping back, I’ve decided to get a new bag. I’ve been eyeing up the Alpkit ones and have had other good stuff from them, but I went to buy and they’re website says they don’t have any, they don’t plan on getting any and if they did it would take six months:

https://www.alpkit.com/develop/getting-sleeping-bags-back-on-track

So does anyone have any recommendations for cheap-ish but light and functional 2-3 season bags?

miketually
    Free Member

I think the answer is usually: Snugpak or Tesco.

scotroutes

Mountain Hardware Lamina. Just make sure you get the right rating this time 🙂

FWIW, it’s also worth getting it cleaned. Dirt prevents any bag (down or man-made) from lofting properly.

dknwhy

Cumulus Quantum 450 but the uk site is rubbish and rarely stocks anything.

Look to Europe to order:

cumulus

The liteline looks good.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Similarly, alpkit seem to have lost their supplier for cheapy sleeping mats – who’s the go-to now?

dknwhy

For cheap sleeping mats, look at Karrimor or Multimat or spend a bit more and look at Thermarest. Loads of deals on at the moment.

tomd
    Free Member

It’s a Lamina 35 I’ve got so supposed to be good down to 2ish degrees. Interesting what you’re saying about wsshing it. Is one wash every 5 years OK?

scotroutes

I’ve been using my Lamina 35 for camping/bivvying through this current winter and it’s been fine when teamed up with another layer. I am quite a weak sleeper though.

For the cost of getting it properly cleaned, it’s worth a try.

As for waiting 5 years to clean it, I guess that depends on how often you use it.

BadlyWiredDog

Montane has sleeping bags coming out this spring… not cheapo, but look interesting.

chakaping
    Free Member

Alpkit were out of stock when I wanted one, got a Rab Ascent 500 down bag from Go Outdoors for about £90 I think.

Worth keeping an eye on there for good deals.

ElShalimo

Snugpak have a big range and are excellent value

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Sleeping Bags – Alternatives for the Thrifty Bikepacker’ is closed to new replies.