• This topic has 113 replies, 78 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Have you got pedal reflectors on that thing, Sir?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you really want to be that much of an arse to someone though? I suspect if you did that they’d probbaly be arsey back, conduct a full seatch of your bike to make sure it’s roadworthy and everything is BS stamped, confiscate your ridiculously bright non BS flight as it’s easily arguably a danger to other road users, then it’s probably possible to arrest you for failing to stop.

Or you could just comply with a law designed to keep you safer which has no significant downsides to you?

50p reflectors, £50 fine, or be really arsey and probably get in some actual trouble? Not exactly a difficult one is it?

nicko74

50p reflectors, £50 fine, or be really arsey and probably get in some actual trouble? Not exactly a difficult one is it?

er… except, as covered above, fitting reflectors to SPDs is not particularly easy to do (as in, one has to go and buy some solution that may or may not be particularly available in the usual bike stores*) and results in a set of SPDs that don’t actually work as they did prior to adding reflectors.

I’d prefer to take my chances, thanks

*-I’ve never seen them before in wiggle, CRC etc, but hadn’t actually been looking, so that may not mean much.

khani
    Free Member

You can get some Reflective stickers and stick em on

debaser

Wellgo B233

Decided to go ‘legal’ on my commuter and bought a pair of these, nice grippy flat pedals with BS reflectors (which incidentally are tucked away well enough that I’d be happy to use them off road and bang them into rocks without risking littering the trails with orange plastic).

ski
    Free Member

OK, I was pulled over coming back from work on Friday night, where the police had a road block, trying to catch drink drivers.

Police officer was polite and asked if I had been drinking and commented on how brightly front light was.

As I cycled off he mentioned to me to get reflectors for my wheels and pedals.

He did not seem that bothered with my illegal front and rear light either 😉

Shimano “M324 Combination Pedals” are SPDs that come with reflectors fitted. But they look like old fashioned touring pedals so are desperately untrendy.

I think Wellgo also make something similar.

MSP

Depends how (ande if) it is actually applied. If they are pulling over cyclists that are barely visible to other road users, then they are doing them a favour in bringing their attention to both the law and the benefit of being seen. But if they pull over cyclists who have decent lights, and reflective patches on their cycling shoes (as most now do) and clothing then it will just be jobsworth stupidity.

It is worrying thought that since the recent spate of cyclist deaths in London, the message from the authorities seems to be placing all responsibility on cyclists. Maybe it is just the stories highlighted here are scewing my perception, but I haven’t seen anything about educating drivers, and getting them to accept some responsibility for the safety of those around them.

Davesport

The main points of RVLR are as follows:

Lights (and reflectors) are required on a pedal cycle only between sunset and sunrise.

Taken from the CTC webby.

Don’t cycle in the dark 😀 Have none of you lot got a car ? 😆

DT78
    Free Member

Surely there are more important things for those pcso s to be doing?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Reflectors on your pedals wont help drivers who are looking at their phone see you.

Bone of contention – 5 of the **** were spotted on my way home tonight

tomhoward

But if they pull over cyclists who have decent lights, and reflective patches on their cycling shoes (as most now do) and clothing then it will just be jobsworth stupidity.

These are PCSOs we are talking about here. You could have 2000 lumens beaming out in front of you, 17 lights facing behind with all the reflective tape in the world on you but if you are using eggbeaters, they’ll pull you for it, on account of not having any really power/anything to do so will flex their muscles at all opportunities!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

I don’t much is going to change most pcso I’ve come across know next to nothing about the law and most of them would have trouble catching up with me if I was walking with my bike let alone riding it 👿

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I make sure my commuter is fully equipped, peddle reflectors, wheel reflectors BS lights front and rear, admittedly some of this is augmented by magic shine, 3M Black Reflective stickers etc. 2 Reasons i don’t trust motorists as far as i can throw them and ive seen to many judges letting off cyclist killers on the basis of shaky victim blaming so now there are no excuses.

neninja
    Free Member

Is there a legal requirement to identify yourself to a Police officer or PCSO in relation to a cycling offence in the same way that there is for a driving offence? If not that would make it pretty difficult to issue the penalty if you wanted to be properly awkward. Probably not worth the hassle though.

tomhoward

Iirc, if a copper/pcso asks you who you are, you have to tell em, else they can haul you off down the nick

nedrapier

‘Ello, ello, ello. What’s all this ‘ere then?

55 posts about a tiny paragraph in a wide ranging bill which delegates powers which aren’t used by those who currently have them to a group that does very little to start with?

fourbanger
    Free Member

At night60
    At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
    Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Strange. All of my bikes were manufactured before 1/10/85. Bit hard to prove otherwise with no numberplate or registration documents…

MoreCashThanDash

As others have said, this isn’t a change in the law requiring reflectors. The Police appear to have a proper grasp of perspective in terms of enforcing the existing law.

I am a bit worried that a PCSO may be targeted to issue fines and will then set about enforcing the law regardless.

(Actually, I’m only a bit worried – the commuter has pedal reflectors on the SPDs and the Cateye on my rack has the BS reflector built in, I don’t ride the road bike at night, and a PCSO won’t catch me at night on the mountain bike

mrmo
    Free Member

simple question, the regs say must have a pedal reflector, what standard? i assume that there is some legal standard to which reflectors must be made? I assume a minimum size colour, reflectivity?

Or can i get a couple of square millimetres of 3m tape, and stick a bit on the front and back of my iclics and be legal…

spursn17
    Free Member

Speedplay Zero’s on my commuter, how the hell will I get reflectors on those?

mrmo
    Free Member

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6632.25

a debate on reflectors,

Summary, reflectors have to comply with bs6102/2 according to the law, but the newer EN standards supersede the british standard and the EN doesn’t mention reflectors…

So reflectors are required and have to comply with a spec that doesn’t exist!

Figure that one out!

edlong
    Free Member

@mrmo

Somehow I managed to read all that, and the gist I got was just that the legislation refers to a now obsolete British Standard and therefore it will have to continue to, unless they change it (the legislation) to refer to something else.

I could read it all again just to check..

bartimaeus
    Free Member

WOWOW slap wraps… cheap and effective

amedias
    Free Member

WOWOW slap wraps… cheap and effective

indeed, but not amber, or attached to your pedals and therefore although handy for visibility not handy for adhering to the actual law.

I doubt very much this will have much impact, as many have said they’re more likely to be targeting those with no lights or reflectors at all.

Superficial
    Free Member

I always thought PCSOs couldn’t detain anyone. Turns out I was wrong – I just googled it and apparently they have the legal right to detain an individual for up to 30 minutes (until the police can arrive). However, they don’t have the right to use any sort of force. So there’s absolutely nothing they can do to stop you from merely walking (or more likely pedalling) away.

You will have caused an offense, though, so I suppose they could make your life unpleasant if they could find you again.

The law seems awfully anachronistic though. No doubt it was written when dim tyre dynamo-powered lights were de rigeur. Nowadays when I have 1600 lumens up front + several flashy things on the back I’m far more visible.

Of course, if you get knocked off your bike at night without pedal reflectors, I suppose a driver’s defense would be that you were riding illegally.

garage-dweller

Superficial I rather suspect you are right.

I like pedal reflectors and I cannot work out why it seems to be such an issue for pedal manufacturers to create a non competition road and off road pedal that manages to house a reflector for commuters, training rides and leisure rider. Is it only England where we have these rules?

Will I give up my spds on the mountain bike for the mile or two I might ride on the road ….

Babyjack
    Free Member

According to that bikebiz article..
    “the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Bill completed its passage through the House of Commons on 15th October. It is now subject to parliamentary scrutiny in the House of Lords.”

So I’m a bit confused.This has nothing to do with PCSO’S, they didn’t push it through the commons so why is this thread pretty much about slagging them off?
    Oh and @fatsimon mk2, “I don’t much is going to change most pcso I’ve come across know next to nothing about the law”
    Maybe, but they could probably write a sentence better than you 🙄

kimbers

Sigh

Saw 2 pcso at shepherds bush today on duty monitoring the traffic lights today -pary of the tfl crackdown they chatted away happily as a car and a bus had stopped in the ASL box a meter in front of them, wish I’d said something too them

sbob
    Free Member

Pedal reflectors work really well.

Carry on. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like pedal reflectors and I cannot work out why it seems to be such an issue for pedal manufacturers to create a non competition road and off road pedal that manages to house a reflector for commuters, training rides and leisure rider.

Shimano SPD-SL (reflector mounts on the underside)
    Time ATAC (plastic cage fits around the sides of the pedals)
    Ritchey shimano SPD copies (reflectors mount front and back)

And those are just ones I’ve bought, I’m pretty sure there must be more!

poly
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    Reflectors on your pedals wont help drivers who are looking at their phone see you.

Well possibly not… …although if you are not in their core vision then the moving reflector is more likely to be noticed in peripheral vision. [That is NOT an excuse for using a mobile]

Actually as a driver I find pedal reflectors can be very good both in rural areas and in crowded busy streets at night – because it helps you recognise that what you can see is a cyclist quicker / further away. Not an excuse for mowing down cyclists if they don’t have them – but if the aim is to maximise survival then not a bad idea to fit them.

benp1

What do they have to be like as a legal minimum. I’m up for putting some on my road bike pedals (flat/spd combo), but £7 is a lot for some plastic

I have reflective tape already (bike is covered in it) but I suspect putting this on the pedals won’t be enough

Marmoset
    Free Member

The last 2 bikes I bought did not come with pedals what’s the score there then? They’re fully assembled but with no pedals how can they be expected to come with pedal reflectors?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The last 2 bikes I bought did not come with pedals what’s the score there then? They’re fully assembled but with no pedals how can they be expected to come with pedal reflectors?

There’s an answer in there somewhere

pingu66
    Free Member

Reading the requirements the rear light also needs to be between 150 and 350mm from the floor. I would guess most people have them mounted higher than this.

Its also not just pedal reflectors but there is a requiremesnt for a red rear reflector so if you did get stopped if you are not fully compliant you could get a ticket.

I would hope that the generally had more pressing matters to attend to. Personally I do not ahv an issue with them stopping cyclists riding on pavements particularly where it is busy.

rickon
    Free Member

So glad I live in Scotland.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTslawkcYk[/video]

even has cyclist interaction

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYxkZ9jTvk[/video]

nickjb
    Free Member

Reading the requirements the rear light also needs to be between 150 and 350mm from the floor

might be worth re-reading them 8)

Rear Lamp
    One is required, to show a red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

A couple of years ago i was stopped by a pcso.
    They’d closed the side of the road I used for about a half mile and had diversion signs… no idea where the diversion went and didnt want to risk life and limb.
    It was 7.15am in london.
    alongside the closed section is a 25/30 foot wide pavement and you could see a long way ahead, it was summer, nice and light.
    at that time in the morning there were no pedestrians.
    as i had no idea where the diversion would take me I hopped on the pavement. naughty boy. another rider followed me.
    we rode along slower than on the road.
    two pcso’s appeared from behind a building support and stopped us both.
    they tried to do us for being a danger to pedestrians.

we stopped and said yer joking mate?

nope, apparently not.

they dealt with us individually and my guy asked for some ID. I said I didnt have any, my wallet was buried in my pack. so i gave him a false name and address, thanked him for the fine and walked 20 feet and rode away. the other guy was still arguing as I left.

f**kwits. whats happened to common sense in the world.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Obviously if I don’t have pedal reflectors I will be invisible 🙄
    If they cant see me they cant arrest me 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Have you got pedal reflectors on that thing, Sir?’ is closed to new replies.