Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alpkit Numo airbed or Airo 180 for bivvying
  • SiB
    Free Member

New to the bivvying world and just starting to buy some kit.

Has anyone got either of the above two sleep mats? Pros and cons please

Thanks

SiB
    Free Member

Anyone?

matt_outandabout

Give it some time lad…

ElShalimo

Not got either but do have similar products from rival brands.
    Air beds are more comfy as they have more cushioning, say 2-3″. But they can puncture so durability is a potential issue.
    If weight is more important than comfort then get the lighter sleeping mat.
    One thing I found is that if you tend to sleep on your side then the Airo type is not as comfy as Numo type.
    HTH

By the way Alpkit are a great company to deal with. Very competitive pricing and fab customer support with no bullsh*t

singletracksurfer

Alpkit stuff is great (and good price too).

SiB
    Free Member

Decided on alpkit as already have a few of their products and cant fault them, numo it is then, thanks.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member
    MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve got an Airo and I’m very happy with it, although it’s my first self-inflating one so I can’t properly compare it with anything other than a Karrimat. My GF’s got a Thermarest though and there doesn’t appear to be much between them so I don’t think you’re losing anything with Alpkit.

No idea about the Numo though, is it heavier or lighter? The Airo is about as light/thin as I’d want to go without it being too close to a Karrimat though. Only you know how much weight/space you’re happy with for something heavier.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was gonna get a numo but found a better looking one for less on Amaazon – have the link at home and can post it up if I remember.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK when I say “better looking” I mean “better spec”:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacific-Outdoor-Equipment-Thermo-Regular/dp/B000VUUCXY/ref=pd_cp_sg_0

druidh
    Free Member

Have you ordered one yet Al? I’d be interested in actual weight vs the Numo. Alpkit are usually pretty accurate with their advertising.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am close druid.

Can anyone else suggest anything better?

Anthony
    Free Member

For bivvy use, balloon bed every time. For all it’s oddities, I love it. Nothing comes close for value, comfort, pack size and warmth.

ElShalimo

Al/Druidh: I’ve got the POE one. The weight is true (mat only).
    Used it for a year and found it pretty good. Took a lot of getting used to after using ultralite thermarest for years.
    I’d recommend it to anyone wanting a full length comfy mat. Takes 90secs to inflate and 2mins to deflate, roll and shove back in bag.

druidh
    Free Member

ElShalimo – good feedback, thanks. If I might trouble you a little more, what size of pack does it roll down to, and what did you mean by

Took a lot of getting used to after using ultralite thermarest for years.

(That’s what I use)

ElShalimo

Druidh – pack size is approx 27 long x 12 cm diameter … Rough guess looking at it without a tape. I’m sure you’ll get official figures on the web somewhere
    It took some adjustment, say 2 or 3 trips as there are individual chambers not one flat surface. But if you roll on ya side it still supports you whereas a thermarest doesn’t
    Its more durable than it appears having camped on crappy ground in the Dolomites. The slight insulation helps too

druidh
    Free Member

Thanks again.

You’re a star!

ElShalimo

Also I went from a 3/4 TAR to a full length which improved comfort too.
    Only downside is that it narrows at the head end which can lead to head rolling off if you don’t lay your clothes into a good pillow. Nowt is foolproof to me!

druidh
    Free Member

Fools can be so ingenious

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Numo airbed or Airo 180 for bivvying’ is closed to new replies.