Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)
  • Alpkit Jones bar copy
  • Retrodirect
    Free Member

I spot what looks very much like a Jones loop copy from alpkit, I thought that Jeff had a patent on welded grip sections on handlebars? Hence why the mary was bendy rather than welded, no?

Anyone got any more info?

Brant, Brant, Brant!

What I really want is a Jones bar that is slightly wider and slightly less sweep. Is this it?

johnnystorm

Saw those and had a fiddle today at the warehouse. No details on cost, Spec etc though. Sadly not on my bike so I couldn’t rest them on top to compare.

Gotama
    Free Member

It’ll be a bit of a shame if they are a near as damn it copy of the Jones bar. Pricing of jeff’s stuff is a touch steep but he almost deserves that premium for creating his designs and having the balls to go through with them.

RichT

Saw these at the bike show and asked about them. If I recall, they will be about 35 quid and on sale in about 6 weeks.

BillOddie

How wide?

tazzymtb

I know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but that is cheeky as chuff. What next? an alpkit truss fork and swooping frame called the Spacious frame? very surprised, they didn’t do what surly have done and acknowledge Jeff and sell their bike with a jones loop like on the surly ECR

shonky…..very bloody shonky

STATO
    Free Member

Jones vs Brant love-in, who is right? Only one way to find out…

FIGHT!

tang
    Free Member

Didn’t titec do something before? Fight? Jones looks fairly handy.

tazzymtb

Titec j and h bars were made under licence to jones. It depends if you screw over the creative guys then all you are left with is imitators looking for another person to leech ideas from.

johnnystorm

Titec bars were either licenced or how Jones got them into production initially. Either way, they were ‘official’.

*edit* DAMMIT, 27 seconds too slow!

chiefgrooveguru

On another forum I saw someone post the following:

“I think the thing to remember is that with other brand names, you are paying a lot for extensive research and development. ***** Group don’t spend any money on this (they just copy everything) so they can pass on the savings to the buyer.”

What a sad state of affairs. If you play music you can probably work out who this refers to…

Stoner
    Free Member

shonky…..very bloody shonky

perhaps we can give them the benefit of the doubt for now – maybe they’re licenced as titec aren’t making theirs anymore?

tazzymtb

I hope so Stoner, I really do. I’ve always liked alpkit stuff and have lots of good products from them, but if they are basically and blatantly ripping off Jones then that would be last time I ever shop with them.

fingers crossed they have sorted something officially with Jones.

johnnystorm

Why would Jones licence the design? 🙄

STATO
    Free Member

Why would Jones licence the design?

God yeah I never thought of it that way, that capitalist scum.

pictonroad

I thought exactly the same thing. I really liked the Alpkit stand I’ve got some of their bags and I’d consider one of their bikes. I hope it’s not just a copy without licensing.

woody2000

Alpkit made (make?) some frame bags to fit Jones frames once upon a time (and used his logo IIRC) so maybe they have a working relationship of some kind?

ontor
    Free Member

The Jones loop bar is hardly a wild innovation. Do you get in a strop over dirt drop manufacturers etc?

johnnystorm

Pretty sure it was Revelate that made the Jones luggage.

scotroutes

Aren’t all those Alpkit/Wildcat bags just copies of Revelate and Porcelain Rocket stuff anyway? Is there something specific to Jones stuff that means it shouldn’t be copied or have some folk just woken up to capitalism?

I’m sure I’ve seen something like this before

And this

Stoner
    Free Member

the cooking pot is a chinese catalogue thing. the original IP looting done by them, not Alpkit.

But point taken.

STATO
    Free Member

Alpkit made (make?) some frame bags to fit Jones frames once upon a time (and used his logo IIRC) so maybe they have a working relationship of some kind?

A Jones/Revelate Alpkit bag earlier.

LOL.

cynic-al
    Free Member

With that beard he does look quite like Jesus right enough

scotroutes

That’s a Porcelain Rocket bag.

This is the Revelate one

😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its not a Jeff Jones concept to weld grips onto bars.

Cafe racers have done it for years.

STATO
    Free Member

That’s a Porcelain Rocket bag.

This is the Revelate one

Damn, I only went looking for a pic after johnny above said revelate and I’d thought it was PR, but the jones site had a ton of Revelate stuff so presumed he had switched. Indeed he had but somehow I managed to google the only pic of a PR bag… DOH!

biff

Biff – UK/Euro Jones person here…

Bags… I previously asked Alpkit to make a batch of bags for Jeff Jones Diamond and Spaceframe frames. I provided the Jones badges for them to include in the production (and provided them with frames and H-Bars to work from). We talked about a bag for the Loop H-bars.

The bar is not something I (or Jeff) was aware of until seeing it here. I have emailed Col and Kenny at Alpkit about it. I wait to hear.

steveoath
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is there a jones bar with rise …. I looked for ages …. The old titecs had rise but were narrow as chuff.

scotroutes

My Loops have a slight rise – as in they definitely curve in 3 dimensions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is there a jones bar with rise …. I looked for ages …. The old titecs had rise but were narrow as chuff.

scotroutes

My Loops still have a slight rise – as in they definitely curve in 3 dimensions.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Jones loops are 13mm rise/drop i believe.

scotroutes

biff – Member
    Biff – UK/Euro Jones person here…
    Bags… I previously asked Alpkit to make a batch of bags for Jeff Jones Diamond and Spaceframe frames.

You asked Alpkit to make a close copy of some bags that are already being made by other companies?

cookeaa

What precisely is the sort of IP on the Jones bars?
    A patent?
    A US filed patent?
    Internationally recognised or not?

I bet you Alpkit are in the clear…

scotroutes

I thought stifling competition through the application of patents was a bad thing – or does that only apply to Specialized and Clif?

STATO
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

What precisely is the sort of IP on the Jones bars?
    A patent?
    A US filed patent?
    Internationally recognised or not?

I bet you Alpkit are in the clear…
    When was that ever a reason to cancel a STW lynching?

STATO
    Free Member

[plot twist]

Looks like Jones doesn’t even make the bars he patented anymore.

..and parts of the side bars forward of the center bar are used for mounting a brake lever, shift lever or a combined brake and shift levers..

[/plot twist]

biff

You asked Alpkit to make a close copy of some bags that are already being made by other companies?

No – Alpkit were making Alpkit framebags. I asked them to make some to fit Jones frames. I made no reference to other framebags.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 184 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Jones bar copy’ is closed to new replies.