Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Alone in the Wild – don't forget…
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

It's going to be a good one this week…

I know this as some tool of a TV reviewer gave away the details of this weeks episode at the end of his review of last weeks 😈

(Yes, I know I could have stopped reading but tbh I've got no willpower.)

lodious
    Free Member

How does he charge his camcorder?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

So a bear gets hold of him, he escapes and then the endorphins dry his tears for a few minutes?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bears really DO go for a dump there?

😉

toby1

Cut his some slack he's been alone in the woods for weeks on end with only his own internal voices to chat to, yeah that's right no forum how would you all cope 😛

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Turn off this whinging, inadequate **** – and watch this bloke do it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YvRvLxk6Hk

True, true respect!

iDave
    Free Member

he's really getting on my tits now and i don't have tits

toby1

Actually I take it all back, he's a bloody whinging girl and he can't cope!

swisstony
    Free Member

If there was anything else on i'd turn over, i am getting fed up of his whinging, he's just had a take away delivered so doesn't that mean he's failed the whole thing?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I still believe that the fact he is recording it all is having a serious negative impact on him. This combined with the lack of short term achievable goals such as building even a basic hut type thing means he's always moaning to the camera which just reinforces his negative feelings…

Also he seems to be doing cock all in the way of hunting, stumbling across the odd porcupine is about it, he should be going through ammo like it was going out of fashion – I'd have had a go at them swans for a start!

swisstony
    Free Member

loser

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

****, he didn't top himself! It might have been the only thing he'd shot at and managed to hit, but it wouldn't have been wasted ammo!

I at least hoped it would end in a Grizzly man fashion…

iDave
    Free Member

what a pile of shite

has he never watched ray mears?

At least he's unlikely to be be doing the chat shows!

toby1

He says he acheived something amazing – looks like he achieved sitting on his arse eating supplies, then maoning when he ran out of supplies, then moaning when additional supplies got dropped in – needing people then sitting roun in a hotel room on his own after the pick up … but what would I know I'm just sitting in front of the TV watching it.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

He ate Canadian cheese. I couldn't eat Canadian cheese.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Labrat, it seems Dick Proenneke is quite fond of airlifted supplies too.

Did you watch that documentary series?

tinribz
    Free Member

wOt a waste of time, I thought this was about hunting, fishing building shelters.

Alone in the wild, more like Moan in the wild. God forbid if he'd had any dependants.

Those hotel scenes were like a bad come-down.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Doolittle, Proenneke certainly did get supplies brought in, but to be fair he was up there for thirty years and didn't have an electric bear fence and emergency phone, plus he built something more substantial than a hammock between two trees and didn't spend all his time crying into the camera… 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

He was missing his woman, that was doing him in IMO.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Did he get visits from Fogle and Cracknell to give him moral support and gee him along a bit?

cuckoo
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Zulu, enjoyed watching those.

The chap on C4 didn't seem to have much of a plan for food procurement and stayed about as long as his fat reserves would allow.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Got to say that I was on his side initially hearing everyone moaning about him crying etc, but then I watched it and thought "get a GRIP". He just seems like a clingy sort of bloke that needs to be around people, he couldnt cope with being on his own and he certainly couldnt cope with feeding himself, half of his problems were likely to be down to semi-starvation and low blood sugar constantly.

andy_hew
    Free Member

Like most I had some sympathy at the beginning but he lost me with his constant whinging – whinging he had food, then whinging he had none. Loved the bit in the hotel room at the end with him eating cheese, thought he was going to wreck the room after oding on cheese like Charlie Sheen at the start of Apocalypse Now. With him coming out early I wondered whether C4 would have another couple of weeks to fill so had these visions of him filming himself doing the shopping/school run/going to work with him constantly breaking into tears

DaRC_L

Ermmm Martin Sheen (not his son Charlie) and I think the long-birthday partying with cheesey comestibles had something to do with the realism of the scene in Apocalypse Now.

But yes I watched the program and thought that most people alone in the wild have goals – i.e. getting back to civilisation, hunting/trapping, building a campsite, preparing for winter etc…
    I also thought that given he wasn't allowed to kill large game; he should've been allowed a meaty food drop every time he'd had the chance to kill one. That would've sorted the starvation and stopped (hopefully) a lot of the misery.

nickc

Well, I thought the bloke was pretty brave. It was obviously this dream he'd had for ages and ages, and lets be honest all those TV shows like Bear Grylls and Ray Mears make it seem easy to survive. "Oh yeah, just set this snare, or catch this whooping great big fish" Well it ain't like that really is it. No small game to speak of, no fish to catch, just berries and stuff. Not allowed by Canadian law to take big game, constantly having to move in the hope (but with no guarantees, all loads of dangers) that you feed yourself

Now, clearly this bloke realized that in fact he did need company, and his family, and he wasscared of being attacked by bears. The footage of him after he's caught the porcupine neatly summed it up. "If I wanted to attract bears, skinning, gutting and hanging fresh meat in a tree is exactly how to do it…"

OK, he could have not filmed himself crying, but that's what happened, and I for one think that he's been brave to do so, if nothing else to run the slagging off from a bunch of armchair experts fed a constant diet of boy's own adventure stories from the likes of the game show-set up "adventure" stuff of Bear and Ray

noteeth
    Free Member

You don't need to be a survival expert to have found the whole thing wierdly narcissistic.

"The wild… doesn't care."

No, mate. And neither do I.

iDave
    Free Member

if it was true survival you'd shoot an elk and eat to survive and sort the legal niceties out after the fact

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

if it was true survival

You wouldn't be filming it all or have a helicopter/plane circling overhead half the frikking time throwing food down – so you could do what you want and no-one would ever actually know.

The most pointless programme ever. I saw about 15 minutes of one programme and gave up – I am glad I was right. I spent my time watching recordings of Strictly Big Brother on Ice Dancing Factor instead. 😉

Not a patch on The Lost Land of the Volcanos which I really enjoyed.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

There were a few things against him I think, as others have mentioned: No goal as such, filming himself probably reinforced his negative view of things, the emergency phone and the temptation to quit always there, there were people sort of around (moving the heavy stuff from camp to camp for him, picking up his tapes) but he couldn't interact with them, the ability to send texts but not recieve them- all potential reminders of what he's missing. And he'd probably have been OK food-wise if he'd been allowed to shoot moose etc.

And as nickc said it's easy to get the idea from tubby Ray Mears that it's all a piece of pi$$, and he showed that it ain't.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Isn't Ray Mears about to do something in the middle of winter in French-speaking America?

chakaping
    Free Member

A moan in the wild – that's a good one!

Bit disappointed I missed this now, but strangely pleased to hear he never managed to catch anything and had to give up.

Was expecting the last episode to be all triumphant music and grilled salmon.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Not a patch on The Lost Land of the Volcanos which I really enjoyed.

Yeah, only saw the first one but it was pretty cool!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, only saw the first one but it was pretty cool!

It'll be on iPlayer – well worth catching. I was saying to my wife – that sort of vocation isn't the sort of thing you would consider as a pubescent kid at school. But crikey, if I could have my life over I would love to be able to get the opportunity to train as a naturalist and get to discover things like they did.

coffeeking
    Free Member

People don't realise such career paths are open to them, and don't like the fact that such career paths generally are very poorly paid and require complete dedication at the expense of social life too lol.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

People don't realise such career paths are open to them, and don't like the fact that such career paths generally are very poorly paid and require complete dedication at the expense of social life too lol.

Agreed – I don't think 'spending your life up to your waist in mud being eaten alive by disease-carrying mosquitos and sucked to death by leaches whilst trying to find an as-yet-undiscovered rare fungi' was a topic of discussion with my careers adviser.

The advice I got was along the lines of 'you are good at art – be an artist'.

Cheers mate, that was helpful.

IdleJon

It was obviously this dream he'd had for ages and ages,

Of making loads of money through an exciting documentary series…..

He'll turn up eventually on Dancing on Ice, or Crossing Tajikistan by tandem spacehopper with adventure-whore Ben Fogle.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

god listen to you lot, bet half of you would have sh*t your pants after 5 days!

give the guy credit, lots of nit pickers on here 😉

he could have survived much longer if he had just shot an elk or another protected animal and just kept it quiet. then used the skin and coat to attack the bears and scare the hell out of them.

the constant fear of a bear attacking you at any moment would seriously play on your mind though

they should have a new reality show, i bet he would have shot an elk if 1 million quid was at the end.

DaRC_L

yep monkey_boy it does beg for a new big-brotheresque reality show of alone in the wild.
    Take 15 wannabe celebs and drop them in the wilderness… 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Take 15 wannabe celebs and drop them in the wilderness…

Wish they'd done that with the Strictly contestants.

No cameras though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Strictly Lord of the Flies Brother*.

🙂

*TM me – I am gonna approach Living with the concept.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Alone in the Wild – don't forget…’ is closed to new replies.