Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • All you pike lovers
  • z1ppy

This throughly deserves a bump, 409 spec were “alloy steerer and internal floodgate”.
    The draw back with this ‘deal’ off-hand seems to be the lack of pop-loc lever going from the info.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Hi,
    How does this differ to a 454 pike? I have a 454 coil already and wouldnt mind this for my second bike…

the 454 is coil, and has u-turn also so whats the difference?

z1ppy

I believe:

454 alloy steerer and ext floodgate

426 steel steerer and ext floodgate

409 alloy steerer and Int floodgate

…so just the internal floodgate

chrisdw
    Free Member

I don’t need new forks, but for that price I’m very tempted!

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

what is internal floodgate? probably one of the knobs i dont use?

Simon

My 409’s had a steel steerer. They were heavy, around 5.6lbs IIRC.

z1ppy

yes…. the floodgate threshold IIRC

Simon, I noted that down ages ago, and have never had these fork, so I may well be wrong.
    (I did wonder tbh)

nbt

Hmmm. If it’s a steel steerer, it might be worth looking at for the tandem….

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I have some 409s – steel steerer, internal floodgate adjust. Heavy, but great forks

honourablegeorge

chunkymonkey1982 – Member
    what is internal floodgate? probably one of the knobs i dont use?

If it’s internal, then it doesn’t have a knob, so you definitely don’t use it.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

It has a push-in cover for the floodgate adjust. You pull it off and stick in either a long-handle allen key or you can pull off the rebound adjust and use that to adjust.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

so is the steerer definitely steel then?

z1ppy

As I’ve spread rumors and mis-info.. I’ll follow that up … according to these sites.. there a 50g weight difference, so even if it is steel, it’s hardly the end of the world. Assuming a 2.5Kg fork isn’t too heavy for you in the 1st place 😀

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-rockshox-pike-426-u-turn-2009-34075
    (weight is listed under the specification tab on the top right)

http://www.pinkbike.com/product/rockshox/Pike-409-Coil-U-Turn/

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i’d say so, look the same as mine. I wouldn’t let that put you off though – a properly good, bombproof set of forks for £200. You only save 0.5lb with the alloy steerer IIRC

peteimpreza

The main problem appears to be that they are out of stock……………. in Biketown what ever that means.

SSBonty
    Free Member

I think that just means the shop doesn’t have them but the warehouse has 3 green dots of availability. Just ordered and they took my money anyway! I’m not bothered about a lockout – do you know if the lever is needed to run the forks, or just an accessory to do the lockout?

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Ho do i get the rose discount? Going to buy a pair if i cant find some 20mm maxle revalations…

honourablegeorge

peteimpreza – Member
    The main problem appears to be that they are out of stock……………. in Biketown what ever that means.

“Biketown” is their retail store, there’s a separate thingy for online availability

fuzzhead
    Free Member

@SSBonty – the lockout/low speed compression adjust is on the top of the fork crown, you don’t need the bar mounted lever (if they’re the same as my Pike 409s).

ska-49
    Free Member

Yup, the 409 has a steel steerer. Its seen as the cheapest hence the lower number. The higher the number the better the model (on pikes and argyles at least).

julianwilson
    Free Member

chunkymonkey1982 – Member

Ho do i get the rose discount? Going to buy a pair if i cant find some 20mm maxle revalations…

Find them on facebook, ‘like’ their page and you get a link to a EUR10 discount code for your first order.

SSBonty
    Free Member

Fuzzhead – sweet, thanks! Guess I can get a poplock later if I feel the need, never use it on my other forks though… These seem like great value for exactly what I need – I was looking for Sektors but pretty much no-one has the combination of 1 1/8 steerer and 20mm Maxle, certainly not anywhere near that price. They are obviously a lot heavier though! Ah well…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘All you pike lovers’ is closed to new replies.