Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alfine 8 vs 11
  • mboy
    Free Member

It’s been a few years since I had an Alfine 8, in fact I sold it way before the 11’s were even available. Heard initial mixed reports about the 11’s some while back, then they disappeared from my radar.

Have just bought a new frame to which I wish to fit one, now given that both the 8 and 11 have received updates recently, is it still a case of “stick with the 8” or has the 11spd version got significantly better of late?

I know all about the gear ratios, shift direction on the 8spd etc. Just more concerned with how reliable and slick they both are in use, before I buy one soon…

scotroutes

The 11 seems to be more pernickity when it comes to cable length and drag. Other than that, my 11 has been just fine, despite ignoring Shimano gear ratio advice.

riddoch

No problems with either of mine. Didn’t notice them being more pernickety than the 8. Biggest plus apart from the ratios is the shifter works the right way.

whitestone
    Free Member

Not had an Alfine 8 but have the 11spd on my commuter/tourer. Not as completely hassle free as I’d hoped but in general it’s been fine. You do need to keep an eye on the indexing, I’ll get the occasional skipped gear. Not sure if it’s the same on the 8 but you need to ease off on the pedalling whilst changing gear.

Like Scotroutes, I’ve ignored Shimano’s gear ration advice and now run an 18T sprocket rather than the 22T the bike (On-one Pompetamine) came with. This lets me use the full range of gears, with the 22 I wasn’t using the top three ratios whereas now I’ll use the middle 9 most of the time.

DrP

I’ve an alfine 8 – anyone else find the cable clamp is it’s weak spot? Always seems to be slipping…

DrP

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

And woe betide you if you fit it clamping the cable with a slight twist. Getting it in or out is a nightmare.

robdob
    Free Member

I have 2 friends who have both. The 8sp one has been reliable on both road and off road bikes, just wearing out eventually but not failing after at least a couple of years constant use. Very good.

The 11sp one has had 3 replacments under warranty as its so bad it’s laughable. Spectacularly unreliable off road. I wouldn’t touch one, the supplying shop had offered to change it for an 8sp or a cost deal on a competely new bike (frame designed for hub gear) as they just don’t work for very long.

swanny853

My 11 speed did me very well commuting 26 miles a day for 2 and a half years with basically zero looking after. In the end it got nicked. I finally did service it after a couple of years but would recommend doing it before that as I think I was running it more or less dry which can’t have done it much good. With the tool the service was easy, so not point not doing it really.

mboy
    Free Member

OK cheers guys, this is all good feedback.

What ratios are people running, and for what applications? My old Alfine 8 was on a 29er MTB (as this new one would be) with 34T up front and a 22T on the back. Would prefer the 11 for slightly larger range meaning I could gear down ever so slightly (out of Shimano’s design specs I know), maybe 32/22 or even 32/23 to gain a lower bottom gear, but retain the higher gears. But that said, reliability will be key, so if that means sticking with an 8 that’s what I’ll do.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My 8 has been flawless in 5 years use and it’s done about 5000 miles.
    I’ve had it serviced once for good measure last year costing £25. I race on it, jump it and leave it filthy and it just keeps working!

I’d definitely buy another.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Katie’s 11 speed pisses all it’s oil everywhere. Has been back to Madison twice (replaced at least once) but without solving the problem. She’s just run it dry for a few years now. Not sure what we’ll do with it next. The complete lack of interest from Madison in the issues means I’d be wary of another. If the question is which hub the answer is Rohloff

Other than pissing out it’s oil it’s been fine – rides well, shifts well (but commuting not off road).

Andy-R

simons_nicolai-uk – Member
    Katie’s 11 speed pisses all it’s oil everywhere. Has been back to Madison twice (replaced at least once) but without solving the problem. She’s just run it dry for a few years now. Not sure what we’ll do with it next.

I think that I’d be running it with a semi-fluid grease such as Rocol Aerospec 100 (used by Flybe as Q400 prop grease). It’s what I use for Alfine 8 speed hubs and it’d be less likely to migrate past the seals of the 11 speed than oil.

Give me a shout if you want to try some – I’ve got a few litres of the stuff.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I run 32×22 on my 26er mtb – no issues and I hardly ever run out of gears.
    I have just ordered a 23T sprocket – not because I wanted lower but because I have just bought an ovalised chainring with narrow wide profile and it wont play nicely with my half link. According to my calculations the new sprocket should allow me to ditch the half link.

I too keep thinking about the 11 in order to give more downhill gears – but those horror stories!!!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Bought and sold on my 11 speed, to many gears slipping and nuts in head set moments, there’s fine tuning of the white dot to white line and there’s Alfine fine tuning (another level of finer tuning)

Got 2 Rohloff’s now and never looked back

ndthornton
    Free Member

Bought and sold on my 11 speed, to many gears slipping and nuts in head set moments, there’s fine tuning of the white dot to white line and there’s Alfine fine tuning (another level of finer tuning)

Is this a lot different to Alfine 8 fine tuning then?
    Cos I don’t have a problem with this – OK the dots don’t line up but I didn’t find it any harder than setting up a 10 speed rear mech. Only difference being you have to do it all by feel and not by eye.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Happy Alfine 8 user here – mainly bombproof
    Does need the occasional (every 6mths) regrease of the bearings, as water can get into the hub if submerged on river crossings

I did run my 29er on 34/18 but as I mainly now use it for bikepacking have increased the back cog to 21T to give me more at the bottom end when the bike is heavy

mboy
    Free Member

Keep it coming guys

Was pretty happy with my Alfine 8 when I had it a few years ago, but always longed for slightly more gear range…

mpolo
    Free Member

My 11 is on its way back for the 4th time now, slipping gears, leaking lots of oil over the disc and last week the floor. The internals were replaced last time after it was covered in oil by the time it arrived back from Madison.
    I have demanded a complete replacement this time…it always takes a while so single speeding for now.

thepodge
    Free Member

Loved my alfine 8 but not used it in nearly 12 months since going ss. Ran 32:20 on 26″ in the Peak District which seemed to give me a slightly lower lowest gear than a standard 10 speed cassette. The alfine will one day find it’s way onto the commuter bike. Even though it’s got a bigger spread and it’s lighter I’ve never really considered the 11 speed

DrP

Anyone got a link to a quick oil change/service info site?

I think my 8 could do with both!

DrP

whitestone
    Free Member

Lining up the dots: this seems to vary slightly between each hub, you’ll figure out what the best alignment/offset is for yours after a while.

Gear ratios: I’ve the Alfine 39T crankset. The bike came with an 18T sprocket (got it wrong in my previous post) which meant I wasn’t using the top three ratios. I bought a 20T and an 18T sprocket, I’ve not used the 20T as the 18T gives me the spread I need even though the 39/18 ratio is outside Shimano’s spec.

The oil change on the 11sp is a bit of a faff and the official Shimano kit is rip-off expensive but obtaining a syringe is slightly harder than you’d think 8) The oil is also expensive but it’s a once a year or less expense so doesn’t work out too bad. Effectively you are trading the cost of a replacement cassette with that of 50ml of oil.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 vs 11’ is closed to new replies.