Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alfine 8 to single speed
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I am looking to convert an alfine 8 bike to single speed but keep the original rear wheel incase i decide to go somewhere i need gears.

I know the alfine is 135mm width

Can i use a QR wheel or does it need to be nuts like the alfine wheel?

Does anyone know an off the shelf wheel that is 135mm single speed 700c disc and will have the correct chain line?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone know an off the shelf wheel that is 135mm single speed 700c disc and will have the correct chain line?

Any old 29er wheel should fit, (narrower rims obviously suit narrower ‘700c’ tyres) you can then adjust the chainline with spacers on the cassette.

kerley
    Free Member

You just need something like this

Then just use a single speed converter kit so you can get whatever chainline you want

Bez

You can use a bog standard wheel with a cassette (advantages: cheap and widely available, adjustable chainline, most freehubs tend to be more reliable than most freewheels) but note that if you have track ends or horizontal dropouts then you’ll want a chain tug of some sort to prevent a QR wheel slipping under load. Or if it’s a cup-and-cone hub with a threaded axle you could rebuild it with a nutted axle.

If you have vertical dropouts, the QR geared hub option is ideal.

TiRed

I use a standard hope hub with two surly cogs, a 15 and 17T. I can adjust as needed before riding. The 15 is for cross racing and the 17 for mtb. This is on a 26″ Genesis ioid. The rear facing dropouts handle the 2T difference fine. I use a standard QR as well. Forget about single speed specific options, just space a freehub.

joshvegas
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    I use a standard hope hub with two surly cogs, a 15 and 17T. I can adjust as needed before riding. The 15 is for cross racing and the 17 for mtb. This is on a 26″ Genesis ioid. The rear facing dropouts handle the 2T difference fine. I use a standard QR as well. Forget about single speed specific options, just space a freehub.

Was pondering this on the exact same frame. Was also considering a second chainring.

bikesian65
    Free Member

Joshvegas

Thats how I run my Singular Gryphon – 32 & 34 rings on the front and 18 and 16 on the back ( 32/18 offroad and 34/16 on the commute to work )

TiRed

I just run the 32T on the front. It works fine and is an excellent frame. I don’t ride it on the road. The rear cogs sit next to each other and are correctly spaced for this.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 to single speed’ is closed to new replies.