Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alex rim leaking at joint
  • gkeeffe

Just set up a wheel tubeless and it’s leaking at the rim joint.
    Any clever solutions out there or do I wait for the sealant to seal it.

It’s an Alex 35 mm. if that’s any help.

ThePinkster

I have exactly the same problem with the Alex MD27 rims that came on my GT (supposedly tubeless ready). Sealant sort of sealed one of them after about a day but the other still leaks. I’ve given up for now and using tubes.
    When I can be bothered I think I’m going to strip the tape off and runs silicon sealer across the joint on both of them, then re-tape and cross my fingers (that might make putting the tyres back on difficult though).

No idea how well it’ll work but I’m quite hopeful at the moment.

deadkenny
    Free Member

What rim tape are you using, is it the right width for the rim and seated properly?

I’ve also had issues where tyre lever has snagged the rim tape enough to create a leak. Ultimately it will come out of the rim on the joint or the valve.

ThePinkster

Mine came ready taped. TBH I’m not 100% convinced the tape is wide enough so was going to replace it anyway so if I’m stripping it off I may as well try sealant on the joint at the same time.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack.

scotroutes

Use wider tape, wide enough that the tyre bead is in contact with the tape, not the rim, all the way round.

gribble
    Free Member

Had the same problem on a Specialized Camber that I set up tubeless for Mrs G. They had Speicialized 2 bliss branded rim tape fitted, but leaked from the joints at a relatively low pressure. DOn’t know if the tape was wide enough (and the rims are quite wide) – just looked and thye are 27mm internal width I think.

I whacked in some sealent and they have been fine since – I think I only put up to about max 30 PSI in them, but they usually get run at about 20 PSI (ish).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i usually superglue the joint then lay tape over it so it sticks out under the tyre, then trim off the excess leaving a few mm sticking out. like ghetto tubeless really.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

99.99% of leak problems are taping quality. If it leaks from joint or valve it’s because it’s got in the rim void. Strip clean perfectly and re apply up the rim sides. Don’t waste time thinking it’s the rim.

Hope that helps

Neil superstar

Poopscoop

My Volar Alexrims leaked initially at the join but the sealant sealed them the very first time I set them up tubeless and they’ve never leaked since.

I like the superglue idea though. I can see that would help, if the join is a bit “gappy”.

gkeeffe

Mine are holding up now. Another couple of pump ups and a bit more sealant did the business. Ride on them tomorrow in lakes will test them!

scotroutes

If you’ve taped “up the rim sides” as Neil says, then rim gaps are irrelevant.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alex rim leaking at joint’ is closed to new replies.