Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Aldi grapefruit ipa.
  • zippykona

Bought a can to try it out . It was lovely but I’ve not seen it since.
    Is it in your local store or do they do one offs?
    https://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/beer/rubus

scaredypants

DOn’t suppose you saw if they have the posher mince pies with almondy bits & frangipane ?

asking for a (diabetic, gluttonous) friend

johndoh
    Free Member

I liked that one too but I haven’t seen it since the summer. I’m liking the Belgian-style IPA they have at the moment though.

MoreCashThanDash

The mince pies were in Ilkeston the other day.

The grapefruit is good, as are the passion fruit and the peach versions. Quite nice light, more summery beers. And one of my five a day, surely.

The coffee stout and the toffee ale in bottles are really good at the moment. And I do like the Brewdog “own brand” AldIPA

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s in my 2 Aldis year round

trail_rat
    Free Member

They sell it in ours.

Not a patch on Elvis juice if I’m.honest has a funny under taste kinda like the base beer is lacking and they have compensated with the grapefruit.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A lot of the grapefruit IPAs use grapefruit juice instead of getting the flavours from the hops. M&S one is really bad for it.

Schofferhofer is nice one though – wheat beer mixed 50:50 with pink grapefruit juice.

funkrodent

Liked the Aldi grapefruit ipa. Agree that it’s not as good as the Elvis juice. Very refreshing on a hot day. Disappeared from all my local Aldis a few months ago. I for one wouldn’t welcome it back!

chakaping
    Free Member

They just seem to have the nightclub themed ones at ours now, some of which are good – but the Rubus was very nice.

I do like Elvis Juice, but the Rubus had a more useable ABV and was very pleasant in it’s own right. And I don’t usually like overly flavoured beers.

brads
    Free Member

These new “fruity” IPA’s are horrible. It’s all a bit too crafty and hipster.
    Proper IPA doesn’t taste like that at all.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I am with Brads. Some of the ones which they term ‘juicy’ like some of the NEIPAs are not very pleasant. If I want alcoholic fruit juice, I’ll have a cocktail.

I did have a lovely IPA from Kinnegar the other day, Scraggy Bay.

chakaping
    Free Member

Luckily they do some really nice un-fruity IPAs in bottles as well.

The “Wild Bill” one looks a bit naff from the label but is lovely.

benman
    Free Member

Anyone had the Pineapple milkshake IPA from Aldi? My wife bought me one as a joke, and its strangely palletable…

The Ghost Dance Chinook IPA is my current Aldi favourite.

darksideby182

I do like the pineapple milkshake IPA although I think the quality has dropped since they first introduced it but it can be had for 89p so can’t grumble too much.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Elvis Juice to wash down a dirty doner and kofte kebab – with hot chilli and extra red cabbage.

Lovely.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Kinnegar make some excellent beers – see if you can find Rust Bucket, an Irish Red ale.

Also, folk who only like IPAs called Fursty Ferret or similar that are warm, flat and smell of hops with none of the taste are tories. Prove me wrong.

swdan
    Free Member

Was sure I saw some of that in the Ewell Aldi the other week, I presume that’s your local one. Although to be fair I’m on the alcohol free beer at the moment so didn’t look at the shelf too hard

Coyote
    Free Member

Rubus is gorgeous, proper summer drink. Fan of Ghost Dance too.

Did someone say Coffee Stout?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes im always disappointed when it get a n English interpretation of the IPA .

gobuchul
    Free Member

English interpretation of the IPA .

IPA is an English beer.

johndoh
    Free Member

What does it matter? If someone likes the drink they like the drink. So much snobbery goes on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

IPA is an English beer

Well yes the warm flat version is .

willard

IPA started as an English style, but it’s been adopted the world over. BJCP has a lot of IPA-based variations and all of them have an emphasis on hops and some of them are as far removed from the classic IPA as you can imagine (NEIPA for one).

Hell, if you want a descriptor of generic english beer, look no further than a brown ale or a normal bitter. Malt forward, not much in the way of hops and kind of, well, mild. At least IPA gives you that hops kick.

pocpoc
    Free Member

What does it matter? If someone likes the drink they like the drink. So much snobbery goes on.

+10
    Sometimes I want to drink something pretentious I’ve never heard of before. Other times I like to have a nice cold 4 pack of Reinbacher fake whatever-it-is from Aldi for £2.99.

But never Fosters, I do have some standards 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, folk who only like IPAs called Fursty Ferret or similar that are warm, flat and smell of hops with none of the taste are tories. Prove me wrong.

Made me LOL.

slowol

My old union rep was also on the local Camra committee. Most of them were very beer fussy fursty ferret, mild etc. etc. and the whole lot tended to consider singing the red flag a bit right wing. Good beer drinkers mind.

p7eaven
    Free Member

These new “fruity” IPA’s are horrible. It’s all a bit too crafty and hipster.

Mileages vary. I’m a golden ale fan (draught) but on the hoppy end, also love HPA, old fashioned IPAs, and also some extra-citrusy ones. Don’t tend to like unconditioned bottled beers as a rule (they all seem to have a tinny, generic taste) yet last year became very partial to a Shipyard American IPA (bottled) after trying it draught. This summer I tried a can of Fourpure’s Easy Peeler. Loved it. With a bowl of salted nuts. Feels like summer every time I have a glass. Which is now once a week. Bargain. Summer in December, once a week 😎

Have tried some citrusy beers that have been pure fake-tasting filthwater, mind. Don’t tend to get to Aldi as have quit cycling for the winter so only shop within walking distance. But will grab one if passing by car, thanks for the tip OP!

brads
    Free Member

My old union rep was also on the local Camra committee. Most of them were very beer fussy fursty ferret, mild etc. etc. and the whole lot tended to consider singing the red flag a bit right wing. Good beer drinkers mind.

Yes, but bad beer is the tories fault ffs, this is STW , keep up.

chakaping
    Free Member

1) The Tories do appear to be firmly on the side of the big pubcos and brewers – and therefore indirectly responsible for less choice and potentially fewer good beers.
    2) You seem to be advocating for bland beer and also seem to be a Tory.

slowol

Good point and correct on all counts 😊

Edit: please note keeping up not always a strong point for the slow!

brads
    Free Member

) The Tories do appear to be firmly on the side of the big pubcos and brewers – and therefore indirectly responsible for less choice and potentially fewer good beers.
    2) You seem to be advocating for bland beer and also seem to be a Tory.

Saddest reply I’ve seen posted yet.

Also utter pish.

zippykona

I bought some Elvis Juice and it tastes like lager with some cointreau in it.
    So I’m now drinking a Bud with a cointreau top. Cheered up an otherwise unremarkable lager.

MoreCashThanDash

Working through the backlog of my Beer Hawk advent calendar.

Tonight it’s Pohjala Cinnabun, a cinnamon flavoured porter. It tastes way better than it sounds!

duncancallum

the aldi belgain IPA is rather good

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Aldi grapefruit ipa.’ is closed to new replies.