Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Aldi/Ferrex tools
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I could really do with replacing my cordless drill and Aldi have a pretty decent discount on some of their power tools. It would be for occasional use. Anyone use them? The 40v drill looks quite good for the price, given you need to add battery and charger. I’ve a couple of Worx items but I’m not too bothered about a single type system.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve not had much luck with powertools from aldi/lidl, I just get screwfix’s in house stuff if I need anything I’m going to use only occasionally and stick with Makita for battery powered stuff.

kayak23

Landfill

zilog6128

Not used them personally, I know some reviews online say they’re ok but I’m just really sceptical due to the price! I don’t think it’s a real discount, it’s a PlanetX-style “sale”, it’s their own-brand product after all so there’s no other sellers to compare prices with. Years ago Aldi/Lidl tools used to be decent, made in Germany stuff, for a long time now though it’s just been made in China crap!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Given you’ve already got the worx stuff, would an aldi drill and battery save much over a worx bare bones unit?

I keep toying with the cordless angle grinder but in practice it’ll be £10 cheaper than a known quantity one I have the battery and charger for (plus means finding somewhere to put yet another of each)

prettygreenparrot

Drills? Just go to Screwfix or tool station. Get a known brand. Sorted.

While I wanted a Makita I settled for DeWalt and it’s still going well several years down the line.

Tools that get less use? Give it a go. I have an Aldi 240VAC angle grinder that comes out now and again. It’s fine.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I’ve just taken a punt on one of the concrete breakers for £80. same one is on screwfix for £200

olly2097
    Free Member

Give them a go.

I’ve got a Bosch professional impact driver and a Bosch professional drill driver. DeWalt chop saw blah blah blah.

Then I’ve also got a “parkside” reciprocating saw from Lidl which has been abused and never missed a beat. Then I’ve got a “workzone” (Aldi pre ferrex) paddle mixer for plaster/cement etc that has reskimmed countless rooms in countless homes. Chucked about. Was £20 on the red label. Never missed a beat in years.

They come with a couple of years warranty and for the average Joe they are fine.

dovebiker

I thing the Aldi/Ferrex stuff is made in the same factory as Worx as they use the same battery. Having burnt through numerous cordless drills over the years I bought a Makita LXT drill 10 years ago and now have a cordless circular saw, impact driver, strimmer and lawn mower.

thenorthwind

If I was going to buy a cheap drill (which I’m not, but understand if you use it infrequently it’s not worth spending much money on) I’d buy one from Toolstation or Screwfix so I could take it straight back for an easy warranty replacement if necessary, rather than queuing up in Aldi, waiting while they argue the toss/figure out how to do a refund, and then find a new one elsewhere, because they almost certainly won’t have another one in.

Northwind

The battery infrasctructure’s the only thing that bothers me- I know my makita and draper/sealey stuff is going to be supported for the longterm, but you just can’t rely on getting the right ferrex battery in the future, or that future tools will work with what you have. But I don’t think there’s much wrong with the tools themselves personally.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I’ll probably stick with Worx stuff. Not too much more expensive and deals seem to come up now and again. The batteries look like an issue with the Aldi kit and indeed I couldn’t see any for sale when I was in. I have had a good run with a Lidl cordless lawnmower and hedge trimmer, lasted 6yrs and only now is the battery showing a little bit of lack of oomph.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The Screwfix own brand ebauer get decent reviews. I am on maketa but would go for ebauer as a second system for some cheaper tools.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.