Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Air Zound or Hornit
  • dyna-ti

Just browsing the horn types after watching a YT vid on air zound and the hornit option came up. I hadn’t seen that one before but were I buying one, and probably will, I’d prefer the hornit over the air zound, just because its not as cumbersome looking, and you dont need to pump up a bottle.

Anyone else got any ratings on these ?

After adding hornit to my ebay watch, one in the suggestions for an M-part horn. Dear lord, is that from the 1970’s or something ? 😯

joshvegas
    Free Member

No idea about the hornit but once you decide head down the St Vincent Street and cycle west from George Square and give all the Buchanan Street sheep that walk out in front of you a full blast.

Hilarious.

riddoch

I’ve had both and neither are particularly worth it. The air zound started leaking air so you never had pressure when you needed it. The hornit would go off all by itself in the the middle of the night, it wasn’t  sufficiently weather proof so the switch shorted out.

Bell and voice are better for pedestrians, car drivers are just confused by the weird noise so you just end up having to give them verbal as well before they drive into you.

dyna-ti

Bell and voice are better for pedestrians

Thats what i normally use, and in a yt vid, they tested bell,zound and hornit and the results were people were alerted by the bell, but the zound and hornit they didnt seem to understand it was a bike.
    I sometimes call out ‘Virtual bell, virtual bell’ raises a smile at least.

jimdubleyou

I sometimes call out ‘Virtual bell, virtual bell’

I used to shout “ding a ling, ding a ling” but I’ve got a Timberbell now so just leave it on in heavy pedestrian traffic areas.

johnnystorm

Had a hornit on my commuter and it was worse than useless. The noise emitted was loud but didn’t “sound” like most people expectations of what a car/bike horn would sound like so it went ignored. Just like no-one looks when a car alarm goes off as they think it’s a hoax and/or not their problem.

It’s also an aggressive/obnoxious noise so it would be rude to use on a shared use path.

Saying “hiya” to warn of your arrival or “oi” if someone steps into the road is free and much more effective in my experience.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had an airzound (still do somewhere), now have a spurcycle (“paperclip”) bell copy.

Sounds like a bell, loud, doesn’t jingle all the time like other bells (timber excepted obviously), and cheap enough to have bought one for each bike.

The problem with the airzound is it’s got an inbuilt reaction time as the button is stiff and then there’s a fraction of a second delay again before it actually deafens everyone. So it’s useless for anything except being obnoxious to motorists after they’ve already finished being dicks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Air Zound or Hornit’ is closed to new replies.