• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mjb.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Air shows and the like near the Peaks
  • mjb

Just planning some summer activities and was wondering if there are there any good airshows not too far from the central peak district that I can take our 3 year old to? Preferably one that you can get up close to some large aircraft.

Similarly any good agricultural shows that have lots of farm equipment? We’ve been to the likes of the Chatsworth and Buxton shows but I remember as a kid going to one at Stoneleigh that had all the trade stands form the farm equipment manufacturers with all kinds of machines on display.

crazy-legs

I think Waddington (just south of Lincoln) is the nearest. Peaks is generally quiet in terms of low flying and airshows because of the proximity of both Manchester and East Midlands airports.

The one exception I can think of is the Dambusters Memorial Flypast at Derwent Reservoir which is once every 5 years…

Waddington this year is 5th – 6th July.

konagirl
    Free Member

Again, not exactly close but drivable, the Lincs Aviation Heritage Centre has a Lancaster bomber you can taxi around the airfield in – though it’s not cheap! There is also an air show on 2 August. Link.

The only other flying Lancaster is coming over from Canada and due to arrive at RAF Coningsby on 8 August. It is due at a number of WWI commemorative fly-pasts and air shows. Though I don’t know how close you will be able to get to it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mum and dad have a stand at waddington and my old man raves about how good it is.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Waddington is great, check out RAF Cosford near Telford, there’s a great museum and I think they do an air show too. Not a lot else round here as far as a decent show, as has been said ^^^

mjb

Cheers for the suggestions. Waddington is actually quite handy as is sort of on the way to my mums so i’ll get that one in the diary. Cosford is also pretty good as we go to North Wales now and again and are always looking for somewhere to stop.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Air shows and the like near the Peaks’ is closed to new replies.