Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • After a bit of a wait for the Duallys……….
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Tall enough 😉

amplebrew

pop larkin – Member
    I would be interested in your findings although tbh I don’t find the weight of mine (steel diamond and truss) to be a massive issue- doesn’t stop me wanting the ti buzz tho!!

The complete ti diamond feels a lot lighter to pick up and ride, but I haven’t been able to put a long ride in yet to compare the differences.

According to Jeff’s website, the ti truss is 1.83lbs against the steel version at 2.64lbs.

singlespeedstu

FRC.
    Not by the look of your bike you’re not;-)

Vorlich.
    My mark1 mukluk came with a surly hub.

jameso

I don’t find the weight of mine (steel diamond and truss) to be a massive issue-

Agreed, for what it is it’s almost ‘light’. Compares well to many more flexible and less-capable bikes that can cover similar uses, apart from drops to flat and all that stuff. I like how there’s so many variations of a sound design available, they all handle the same, just feel different.

Atomizer

I’d say the weight difference betwen steel and ti is more noticeable when you pick them up than when riding. Ti version has slightly more pep and the steel has a more plough through anything feel.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I manage thank you very much 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Sunny day. Off for a ride, I hope I’m tall enough 😉

biff

Just popping back to show the Duallys here with some Conti tyres now fitted. Certainly some heft (compared to XC lite rims) but a fab profile/volume and looking forward to seeing just how low I can go with the tyre pressures.

biff

And here’s a close up (talc residue from tyre fitting fun!)

singlespeedstu

Nice to see a normal amount of seatpost sticking out the frame there Biff.
    Take note FRC. 😆

seanthesheap
    Free Member

That Ti diamond looks fab, i quite like the purple, what is the rear hub?

Steel space frame here, love it to bits.

amplebrew

I love the red diamond with the standard forks.

Biff – Does the steel diamond with standard forks allow for the fitment of mudguards and a rear pannier rack?

seanthesheap – Member
    That Ti diamond looks fab, i quite like the purple, what is the rear hub?

Steel space frame here, love it to bits.

Thanks Sean.

The rear hub is a Paul Comp Disc Word.

biff

Yes – rack and mudguards can be fitted…

Same bike, on and off-road :O)

Jeff wrote a blog post about it “Jones as a City and Touring Bike”.

amplebrew

biff – Member
    Yes – rack and mudguards can be fitted…

Cool, thanks Biff; just e-mailed you.

vorlich
    Free Member

Seems wrong to post this in here alongside the OP’s stunning specimen, but this thread set me off down a path. So I’d just like to lay the blame a the feet of all who posted here.

Gotama was a pleasure to deal with, and I managed to cannibalise several other bikes to sling this together. It’ll be getting some new bits soon enough, but this build get me riding this weekend. 🙂

The front wheel off my 2014 Mukluk fits without issue, no bodging required.

Titanium parts/fork only a matter of time…

amplebrew

I think the red frame looks great 8)

The black frames are also lovely, but I like a bit of colour.

The bike looks great, you must be over the moon with the way it turned out.

vorlich
    Free Member

Yeah I like the red frame with Ti truss look 🙂 That’s further off though!

Finger hovering over Eriksen Sweetpost purchase. 😀

amplebrew

vorlich – Member
    Yeah I like the red frame with Ti truss look That’s further off though!

Finger hovering over Eriksen Sweetpost purchase.

I can definitely recommend the Eriksen post, as both my Jones have one fitted.

I usually run Thomson on my bikes, but I found that the Thomson post slipped slightly in the steel frame whereas the Eriksen is spot on.

I ordered mine direct from Eriksen and never got hit with the import.

vorlich
    Free Member

Good to hear. I’ve only ever owned one Thomson and was never that impressed with it. The clamp was good, but was undersized and marked easily.

john_l
    Free Member

Loving the grip 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

john_l
    Free Member

timbur
    Free Member

Nice build John :O)

[edit] according to Sir Biff of Eastbourne the silly hose mount on the Uni is for the Americans as they ride their brakes the wrong way round. Makes no sense to me.

john_l
    Free Member

Yes, now sorted 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

First ride today. A bit of toe overlap on occasion with the EBB at 6, moved it back to 9 and will see how I get on tomorrow, I’m used to having the axle under my arch when descending on flats, I suspect it will be getting SPDs at some point anyway, which should help.

More tweaking and layback needed. Short wheelbase caught me out on the first drainage ditch I rode, I’m used to riding with a bit of fork weight bias on my Soul, but I can see the Jones really wants you hanging off the back. First impressions good though, very comfortable and nimble, reckon it’ll make a great bikepacking bike.

jameso

reckon it’ll make a great bikepacking bike.

Hard to imagine anything that could be more fun when loaded up, I think.
    Diamond-Unis here are looking good..

vorlich
    Free Member

One thing I forgot to mention was how great it felt climbing out the saddle, really seemed to slot into the space behind the bars. On a spin around the street yesterday after moving the EBB back, it seemed noticeably more responsive to pedal input, no surprises there, it’ll be interesting to see how that translates to the trail.

The sun is shining, I’m off up to Perth for a ride. 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘After a bit of a wait for the Duallys……….’ is closed to new replies.