After a bit of a wait for the Duallys……….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • After a bit of a wait for the Duallys……….
  • Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

It’s finally built up and ready to go 😀

The skewers will need to go as they look rubbish, but I’m really happy with everything else.

The purple will no doubt be a love / hate thing, but I’ve got fond memories of it 8)

Big thanks to Charlie for the frame 8)

IMG_0040 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

IMG_0029 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

IMG_0023 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

IMG_0033 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

IMG_0007 (2) by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

Gotama

Been waiting for this as I have ti Jones envy; looks lovely. How about a pic with the fat front on? And have you ridden it yet? If so how does it compare with the steel spaceframe you have? In a bit of a dither over whether to get a Ti truss for my diamond or just go for the full steel spaceframe.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Are the forks like Girvin Vectors but without the pivots? And whereabouts does the bike get ridden, as I wonder what terrain this was built for?
    Yours Doubting Thomas 😉

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Top marks for the purple bits, I like that. Lovely.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

Gotama – Member
    Been waiting for this as I have ti Jones envy; looks lovely. How about a pic with the fat front on? And have you ridden it yet? If so how does it compare with the steel spaceframe you have? In a bit of a dither over whether to get a Ti truss for my diamond or just go for the full steel spaceframe

I took it out on the road for a break in ride, so can’t give a worth while comparison against the steel spaceframe as yet. It is definitely feels and rides a lot lighter though.

I’ll get a picture of the fat front in the next couple of days.

tomaso – Member
    Are the forks like Girvin Vectors but without the pivots? And whereabouts does the bike get ridden, as I wonder what terrain this was built for?
    Yours Doubting Thomas

The forks haven’t got any elastomers and they don’t offer any suspension travel, but they do hold the front wheel on and let you steer; so I suppose they are slightly like Girvin Vectors.

The bike will get ridden on road and off road, both up and down hills and used for short and long rides. I don’t think there are any restrictions on it 8)

jameso – Member
    Top marks for the purple bits, I like that. Lovely.

I’m a big fan of the purple, but I’ve got fond memories of purple anodising from years ago. I just need to get rid of the skewers as they don’t match and are slightly too much. Paul Comp will be releasing some skewers in April, so I’ll probably go for a set of them in black.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

I had a purple top cap and seat QR on mine for a bit, same reasons. looks great against the ti. Hubs is commitment.. ) Wheels held on by a Shimano XT F and ti bolts rear, solid fixing over colours here but dunno if it really makes the difference, fork is solid anyway.

Premier Icon Atomizer
    Subscriber

Very nice indeed.

Do you always run your bars level?
    I’m used to them being pointed more downwards towards the rear axle.

fasthaggis

Nice,what’s it weighing in at ?

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

jameso – Member
    I had a purple top cap and seat QR on mine for a bit, same reasons. looks great against the ti. Hubs is commitment.. ) Wheels held on by a Shimano XT F and ti bolts rear, solid fixing over colours here but dunno if it really makes the difference, fork is solid anyway.

I did buy a purple Chromag seat collar as well, but decided it was going to be an over kill and the colour was ever so slightly different to the Paul Comp hubs anyway. I’ll be getting plain black skewers on it, which I think will be a definite improvement.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

Atomizer – Member
    Very nice indeed.

Do you always run your bars level?
    I’m used to them being pointed more downwards towards the rear axle.

No, that picture was taken before I had properly set everything up. I run my loop bars angled down slightly so they run in line with the stem.

fasthaggis – Member
    Nice,what’s it weighing in at ?

I haven’t got a clue to be honest and I don’t even own a set of scales. It has built up a lot lighter than I thought it would and it definitely feels and rides lighter than my steel spaceframe.

nice work! how do you fit the steerer through the headtube with the bit that clamps on top? I can’t quite work it out from the pictures?

edit ah the steerer is separate and it clamps on both ends. 🙂

vorlich

Nice bike mister.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

iffoverload – Member
    nice work! how do you fit the steerer through the headtube with the bit that clamps on top? I can’t quite work it out from the pictures?

edit ah the steerer is separate and it clamps on both ends.

Here is a better picture of the headtube.

IMG_0020 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

vorlich – Member
    Nice bike mister.

Ta very much 😀

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

Gotama – Member
    Been waiting for this as I have ti Jones envy; looks lovely. How about a pic with the fat front on? And have you ridden it yet? If so how does it compare with the steel spaceframe you have? In a bit of a dither over whether to get a Ti truss for my diamond or just go for the full steel spaceframe.

Just put the fat front on; a Rolling Darryl with a Husker Du 26 x 4.

IMG_0023 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

IMG_0027 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

Gotama

Ta, lovely bike you have there. In fact you have two lovely bikes with the green spaceframe in the shed as well!

mrblobby

How do you pre-load the headset?

Edit: Ah just found this thread. Though it might be something like that.

Premier Icon biff
    Subscriber

Nice – I’m told those Jones bikes are very capable and a joy to ride.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

Gotama – Member
    Ta, lovely bike you have there. In fact you have two lovely bikes with the green spaceframe in the shed as well!

Yeah, my green steely spaceframe is great; I’ve got that set up as a singlespeed with a knard 29×3 on the front.

IMG_0059 by AndyBeirne, on Flickr

mrblobby – Member
    How do you pre-load the headset?

You just tighten up the lower bolts and then then adjust the headset as normal.

The lower crown race is replaced with a top bearing cover.

martinh

Looks great. Just fuels my desire for a geared Jones to match SS

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

biff  – Member   Nice – I’m told those Jones bikes are very capable and a joy to ride.

Maybe you should think about buying one then.
    Can’t see that they’d be much cop offroad myself like.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

biff – Member
    Nice – I’m told those Jones bikes are very capable and a joy to ride.

Well I’m definitely a ‘Jones’ convert, my other bikes struggle to get a look in.

vorlich

So. Thanks to you, I find myself checking out framesets online. 🙂

Red diamond with Ti truss is stunning!

Seems I might be able to put one together without getting too carried away with new wheelsets etc – if the truss fork will take the fat front from my Mukluk. Mine is a 2014 with the new Bearpaw fork, so has a 135 front spaced brake mount. Would I still need to bodge the rotor with a shim? Anyone know?

Subscriber

The truss fork uses a 9 mm hub with front brake spacing.
    The mukluk uses a 10mm hub with rear spacing.

Premier Icon biff
    Subscriber

Just been for a ride off-road on a Jones – turns out it’s bloody wonderful.
    Who’d have thunked it. Riding one (with an open mind) recommended :O)

Gotama

I rode mine over a jump at the weekend and it didn’t explode on landing. We were all surprised.

Vorlich – I have a red diamond with unicrown that I might switch over to a spaceframe depending on availability. If you’re not fussed about new then drop me a mail if it’s of interest.

vorlich

You’re right about the 9mm vs 10mm unfortunately, but this is from the Mukluk page:

135mm Fork Spacing
    Utilizes front rotor/brake spacing. Allows removal of front wheel without detaching front brake caliper

Biff, what’s the stock status on Red Diamond frames?

Premier Icon biff
    Subscriber

I think 7 framesets is current stock of red diamond/unicrown.

vorlich

Cheers, what about frame only? Thinking about pairing with a Ti truss.

Premier Icon biff
    Subscriber

Any of those can be bought with a Ti Truss fork instead of the Unicrown.

Oddly enough the next test bike has it Duallys – waiting on saddle and tyres

Hoses to allow for longer stem to be fitted (test riders come in all shapes and sizes).
    And yes, that pink wall needs to get its (summer) coat.

Interesting choice of front rim, a Marge Light would have been my choice. Throw on a Bud, you won’t regret it!

Lovely bike BTW.

Subscriber

Vorlich.
    You will be able to get the mukluk wheel to fit the truss by turning the 10mm axle down to 9mm.
    Trouble is hen it will be the wrong size for the salsa fork.
    I did exactly this with a spare wheel from my mukluk to get it to fit my truss fork. 🙂

Had mine for over 4 years now 😀

Tires have ben getting bigger and better over that time.

A carbon rear rim will be going on soon, and maybe a Bend H bar – should knock off the best part of a pound, or so.

Anyone running a Bend bar? Any reports?

vikingboy

any links to FAQs that helps someone who has no bloody idea what that thing is about learn more please? 🙂

Premier Icon pop larkin
    Subscriber

Chapeau sir- I love the purple !!

Subscriber

FRC.

How tall are you?

timbur

Bugger, I didn’t realize you were suppose to ride Jones bikes?!?!

Biff pics doesn’t do the width of the rims justice. They are wide in this XC jay boys opinion.

vorlich

Vorlich.
    You will be able to get the mukluk wheel to fit the truss by turning the 10mm axle down to 9mm.
    Trouble is hen it will be the wrong size for the salsa fork.
    I did exactly this with a spare wheel from my mukluk to get it to fit my truss fork.

Thanks Stu. I just nipped out to have a look, it appears Formula/Salsa hubs are 9mm-ish, despite what the website says, or am I missing something?

EDIT: actually the Salsa site says 9mm on the Frame Tech page and 10mm on the Build Kit page.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

pop larkin – Member
    Chapeau sir- I love the purple !!

Thanks 8)

The titanium truss forks are lovely and I was tempted for my steel spaceframe. It will be interesting to see what the difference is between the steel and titanium versions once I’ve got a few good rides in.

Premier Icon pop larkin
    Subscriber

I would be interested in your findings although tbh I don’t find the weight of mine (steel diamond and truss) to be a massive issue- doesn’t stop me wanting the ti buzz tho!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘After a bit of a wait for the Duallys……….’ is closed to new replies.