Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Aero road frames..do they actually make a difference?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Over the same 2hr 40m 1k ascent flat loop 200w is approx 17.5mph ish on non aero genesis, 18.8mph ish on mostly aero rose with 404s and 20.5mph ish on budget boardman tt with cosmics.

Difference is much smaller if I’m riding with others and drafting I can get the genesis closer to the rose

I also find I record my strongest outdoor power on the tt, which surprises me, I’ve only had 3 test runs with power so far but I’m putting out a lot more, but I’m destroying my quads so can’t sustain more than 1.5 ~2hrs, putting that down to the position being rotated so much more forward. I’m actually just tweeting the rose to be more like the tt in position to see if that impacts power

buy yourself some vectors and test for yourself

twowheels
    Free Member

@tpbiker – thanks for posting the link . Must admit my brain is spinning trying to refute the results 🙂 My main thought is those reference Mavic R-SYS SLR must be like parachutes and the first few Google results suggests they are indeed pretty bad. Or the bearings are worn! At least if I’m wrong about aero gains it means I’m actually fitter than I thought haha.

@DT78
    good to see more objective data. What’s your weight and have you made any effort to get into a decent position on the Genesis?

Tempted to rent a power meter for the sake of curiosity.

silverneedle
    Free Member

If you want more aero without the drawbacks theres a nazca fuego thats on ebay at the moment.

djglover
    Free Member

Did anyone see the Flanders result?!? Erm the guy won on a round tube bike, non aero bars and no disc brakes. The guy must be crazy, he could have won by… oh yeah doesn’t matter..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh FFS I am now looking at aero wheels and vector pedals…

djglover, was there any group riding involved?

#bighitter (you, not me)

DT78
    Free Member

I can only talk about what I see with my own date, an average dad who works full time, not anywhere near a pro but doesn’t mean I don’t want to ek the most speed out of my meagre power….

weight currently 78kg ftp last tested Dec at 252w (putting it off as it hurts)

best was 72kg at 300ish w 4 years ago BC (before kids)

genesis has same reach, saddle height and bar width. bar has more drop as not a compact.

If you like data power meters are great. I’m currently trying to work out why my right and left legs have slightly different power phases and why my right foot seems to move around on the pedals a lot more than left possibly I’m sat slightly twisted due to a shorter collarbone on the right.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Reminds me of the guy at the tt a couple of weeks ago who declared me mad for not having a power meter.

They weren’t a wide spread thing when I last raced -mainly as you couldn’t get them with a disk at the time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So Terry, you have a history of stealing buying speed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

#budgetgains

I have a used 800 quid planet X TT bike.

In terms of pound per mile it’s probably cost me a quid a mile over 10 years but when I take it out on the clock it can shift.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Aero road frames..do they actually make a difference?’ is closed to new replies.