Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advise for a newbie to Cyclocross?
  • onewing
    Free Member

Im looking to do a couple of cyclocross races this year, in a bid to keep fit and have some fun.
    i never had a go but would like to try it to see if its my thing. I will use my old hardtail as i dont have a cyclocross bike.

im based in the essex area, so will want to keep it fairly local, as im also racing the chicksands winter series.

any advise people could offer would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pedal faster than the other guys

aP
    Free Member

Put relatively small tires on, set your forks to stiff, warm up for 40 minutes and pedal fast. Be prepared to have people ride past you like you’re standing still. You’d also be advised to turn up early and sign on when you get there as I’ve heard that some eastern league races have an entry limit.

samuri
    Free Member

Pedal incredibly fast for an hour. It sounds obvious but the pace of these things is always a shock for the newbie.

See if you can spot the 1st time cyclocrosser in this picture.

oddmanout by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

fasthaggis

Try and have a walk/ride round before your race,you may spot a few lines to use when you are hurtling along ,and there may be a few bits where running will be better than getting stuck in a crowd.

benji
    Free Member

Get a practice lap in at least, warm up well, get to the start so you are not right at the back, then just keep battling and pushing as hard as you can until you see a flag. If you have been hearing the bell, but haven’t got to it, and the leader comes past you, you are on your last lap, so push on as hard as you can.

steve_b77
    Free Member

One question, are cycling caps with up turned peaks essential CX wear?

benji
    Free Member

No, but there has been a few more worn lately as a nod to the unfortunate death of Amy Dombroski

crazy-legs

Skinny tyres.
    If the forks are adjustable set them to min travel and pretty firm. Take off any superfluous equipment – mudguards, bottle cages etc.

It will be the fastest and probably most painful hour you’ve ever done on a bike! Within a couple of laps you won’t have a clue whereabouts you are. Just try to catch the guy in front, try to drop the guy behind!

It really is that simple. Most events are pretty low key and welcoming, there’s very little attitude or ego at CX races and they’re a great mix of abilities.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advise for a newbie to Cyclocross?’ is closed to new replies.