Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Alchoholic, alcoholist or binge drinker?
  • Kryton57

Or can’t help but need it, don’t need it but cant stop drinking it, don’t drink often then drink loads in a single session.

These seem to be approximate categories, so if one likes a beverage or two every evening, which one is it, and if this describes you, is it bad?

ton

just someone who likes a pint?

I call for a single pint a couple of nights a week on the ride home.
    I have a good drink on a Saturday cos I like to. problem….I don’t think so.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Likes or needs?

Needs: probably need to be having a look at yourself.

Pembo
    Free Member

Not usually on a school night.

shermer75
    Free Member

A couple of drinks a night is prob fine, however two CONSECUTIVE days of no booze every week is very good for your liver (and you) 🙂

Haze

Mid-week tea drinking for me, glass of single malt would be very welcome.

seavers
    Free Member

School nights, maybe a beer or a glass of wine occasionally. Tend to stick to the earl grey or green tea. The other half will happily have two glasses of wine every night. I don’t see the point and hate that groggy feeling. It makes her pretty frisky so maybe it’s not such a bad thing.

I don’t go out on the booze every weekend but occasionally, when everyone gets together, I am up for a blow out. Binge drinker I guess.

Don’t really worry about though.

RustySpanner

I used to drink a lot, as did my circle of friends and their partners.
    I was bloody good at it too – hangover champion of three counties, never nasty, some excellent nights out.

Just got bored with it all about 10 years ago and hardly bother these days.
    Partner hardly ever drinks, never has.

Went out with mates and had five pints yesterday – just made me feel sick and a bit depressed.
    First time I’d bothered in ages.
    Don’t really enjoy it anymore.

Get the odd bottle of malt – lasts me a month or two.

rickt
    Free Member

While drinking a glass of wine… Nothing wrong with the odd drink or so on an evening.

I tend to drink at mostly at weekends maybe a few tins or bottles, or sometimes go for a full week without..

Fact is… I have kiddies so its only ever light drinking when they are around anyway…. not like when i go out with the lads and hammer it!!

toby1

Try to avoid it during the week, I do say try as I did have a night out on Wednesday last week. It just made the rest of the week drag even more than usual. Beer and BBQ on Sunday, so I’ll probably avoid it for a couple of days again now. Just had a glass of tonic water, equally as nice without the Gin 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

3 pints yesterday whilst spending 8 hours at a Blues festival, nothing tonight as I wont finish work till 11:00, same for next 3 nights
    Friday well after an 80 mile ride I may just have a beer or 3, just for recovery you understand. Then a trip to Dalby is on the cards so more recovery drinks, Sunday well its only 65 miles of a ride so hey 2 pints should do.
    🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Don’t need it and don’t drink often. Even if I do then it’s never more than a couple of pints and a little bottle of beer over a whole day and that’s it for the whole week.

Very different story last year. Would go for ages without, then binge drink myself into a very embarrassing state.

Absolutely no problem with mates who want to drink loads, but the conversation does tend to get tedious after a while. Makes it easier to say the goodbyes and leave.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

I can’t go to the pub and not drink a gallon of beer and a good volume of JD & coke .

I personally don’t think it’s a problem .

cloudnine
    Free Member

Had a half of lager the other night. First drink in 6 weeks.
    I’m over drinking.. it just screws me over too much now. I love a few cold ones too but it just makes me sleep like Shit and then feel like crap for 2 days… It only takes 2 pints for a 2 day hangover. I couldn’t develop a drink problem even if I wanted to.

jamiea
    Free Member

Brewing my own it’s easy to pour a pint or two a night, even easier with four beers on tap and various bottles to try- more at weekends. As well sharing the odd bottle of wine with the missus. Having a toddler to run around after means I’ve barely brewed anything the last few months and have hardly had a drink for weeks.

My so called mum is an alkie, my dad drinks too much as well and I’ve no wish to end up like either of those in any way shape or form.

You’re questioning your drinking, that’s good- keep doing that and you won’t have a problem. If you feel you’re drinking too much routinely, do something else instead of grabbing a beer out of habit.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Nobby

I have a couple of beers most days but then I prefer my ‘social networking’ to take place in the real world. The mutt likes the pub too but that may be something to do with the pork scratchings. 🙂

Kryton57

Suddenly I feel the need for a September to Christmas Day dry period like last year.

It become too easy to pick up a beer or pour a shot of rum after work these days. I’m not getting drunk, but it feels tedious and time to give it a rest anyhow as I’m feeling jaded in the morning even after one.

Edit: although “one” doesn’t feel like an issue to me, and part of myself says I earned it so enjoy it. It’s the mental battle even over this that’s made me question myself becuase, why is there a mental battle if nothing is wrong?

yunki
    Free Member

I used to be a heavy daily drinker, but it suited my lifestyle very well at the time, and was definitely an enhancement..

I quit as it started to affect my health, and now, with kids and other responsibilities I very rarely drink as it doesn’t fit with my daily routine..

I think as long as it’s not adversely affecting your daily life and relationships, or your mental or physical health then there shouldn’t really be a problem..

As above, questioning your drinking is a good thing and indicates moderation

manciman
    Free Member

I think the question should be: Is alcohol having a negative affect on any aspect of your life? …is it causing health, relationship, work, financial issues etc? If the answer is yes then I’d say you need to change your drinking habits. Is alcohol causing issues for you? And be honest with your answer…

kimbers

couple of ales on a friday and saturday

2 young children gives me plenty of things to do that are best without a hangover

a few years back id be getting on for 5 pints and a lot of weed friday and saturday and probably 1 night a week in the pub after work

I dont miss getting hanmmered, spend a lot less cash, eat healthier-(no post pub kebab, hangover fryups or lazy ready meals the dAY after a session) and Im fitter too

samuri
    Free Member

Rarely during the week. Friday and Saturday night I’ll have a 4 pack or a bottle of wine.

Northwind

I’m officially a binge drinker, because I very rarely drink but when I do, I like to get a bit pissed. This strikes me as weird, apparently if I did it all the time it’d be normal but if I do it 4 or 5 times a year it’s binging. Ah well.

nick1962
    Free Member

I can’t go to the pub and not drink a gallon of beer and a good volume of JD & coke .

I personally don’t think it’s a problem .

Seriously?
    Anyone who defiles spirits with that poison has a problem IMHO. 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Binge drinker here. I don’t really see the point in having alcohol unless the aim is to get hammered. Wasted calories and all that. Although sometimes a nice cold pint is good on a hot day. Most of the time I’d rather just have a diet coke or something though.

Daffy

I’m on a self imposed drying out month. I don’t drink heavily, never drink in order to get drunk, and rarely touch beer or spirits…but of late, I’ve found myself using a glass of wine (Small <125ml and never more than one) to trigger relaxation in the evening. I don’t think this is healthy, so I’ve decided to stop it.

There is a history of alcoholism in my family, and stress is the prime trigger for alcoholism.

Rockape63
    Free Member

My problem is I drink too fast these days. I open a bottle of wine and Hey presto, an hour later its gone! Then what do you do? Open another of course! 😳 (not always! :-))

On that basis, I try and avoid drinking Monday to Weds and leave the bingeing to the weekend.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease that includes problems controlling your drinking, being preoccupied with alcohol, continuing to use alcohol even when it causes problems, having to drink more to get the same effect (physical dependence), or having withdrawal symptoms when you rapidly decrease or stop drinking. If you have alcoholism, you can’t consistently predict how much you’ll drink, how long you’ll drink, or what consequences will occur from your drinking.

It’s possible to have a problem with alcohol, even when it has not progressed to the point of alcoholism. Problem drinking means you drink too much at times, causing repeated problems in your life, although you’re not completely dependent on alcohol.

Binge drinking — a pattern of drinking where a male consumes five or more drinks in a row, or a female downs at least four drinks in a row — can lead to the same health risks and social problems associated with alcoholism. The more you drink, the greater the risks. Binge drinking, which often occurs with teenagers and young adults, may lead to faster development of alcoholism.

If you have alcoholism or you have a problem with alcohol, you may not be able to cut back or quit without help. Denying that you have a problem is usually part of alcoholism and other types of excessive drinking.

Pick the bones out of the above…

RustySpanner

Rockape63 – Member

My problem is I drink too fast these days. I open a bottle of wine and Hey presto, an hour later its gone! Then what do you do? Open another of course! (not always! :-))

Smaller glasses – seriously!

We got bought some wine glasses last year that hold half a bottle each, ffs!

You go for a top up and realise that yes, you’ve only had one glass, but drunk a hell of a lot of alcohol.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

In the UK, alcoholic is apparently now a term that covers virtually any alcohol related problems. So my half-sister,who doesn’t touch a drop for weeks, maybe months at a time, then downs bottles of vodka until she collapses, is termed an alcoholic. Convenient for NHS reporting perhaps, but pretty useless to the rest of us who speak English.

miketually
    Free Member

I triggered a follow-up questionnaire with my answers to a recent alcohol questionnaire from my GP surgery… I didn’t score any higher on the second questionnaire, so I’m officially not an alcoholic 🙂

Haze

I used to binge drink pretty bad in my 20’s and early 30’s, in the pub at 3 or 4 in the afternoon at weekends then not leaving until I was finding it difficult to actually order another.

I never went out to get pissed as such, being drunk was just a consequence of spending far too much time in there.

Lifestyle has changed a bit in recent years and led me away from bad habits, still enjoy a drink but don’t enjoy the volume so much anymore.

Garry_Lager

Like a bevvy but generally keep on an even keel with it due to other priorities.
    Drinking fast is a definite issue – can tan 5 or 6 pints v easily. Not even interested in getting bolloxed, just seem to really like beer.

Not a spirits man though, which may be a blessing – I appreciate a malt but a bottle lasts me months.

hora
    Free Member

I don’t get a hangover if I stick to redwine or spirits.

Is that good or bad?

simmy
    Free Member

I just can’t hack it anymore, I went through a phase of drinking Vodka, Jack Daniels, and other spirits, but always felt terrible the day after.

Hit it on the head a couple of years ago and just stick to Shandies.

I feel better now at 36 than I did in my twenties.

nedrapier

Rockape – leave the bottle in the kitchen. just a little obstacle…

nickc

Alcoholism is very subjective, do some research on the cultural aspects of drinking ( integrated vs ambivalent cultures) problem drinking ‘per se’ isn’t necessarily about volume

Kryton57

nedrapier – Member
    Rockape – leave the bottle in the kitchen. just a little obstacle…

This is a good idea. I’ve deliberately not put beer in the fridge for the same reason.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

footflaps

Normally drink 1-2 glasses of wine every day with evening meal and a bit more at the WE, say 3 glasses.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I seem to have had mental shift in my attitude towards alcohol in the last month. At the end of July I went on a work event – meal and bar paid for, overnight in a hotel, that sort of thing. There was some throwing up in the bathroom in the morning and I missed my train home.

That would usually put me off drinking for a few days, and it did, but unlike previous binges it also seemed to trigger a rethink and a conscious decision to cut down more permanently rather than allowing it to creep up again (I tend to go in cycles – binge, cut down, a glass of wine an evening at weekends, a glass of wine an evening during the week, a bottle of wine each day at weekends etc etc until I get to the next binge).

A month on I’m still barely touching the stuff – I’ve had a few drinks at weekends but nothing midweek and not every day at the weekend either. I’m currently seeing if I can go 2 weeks without a single drink and relatively confident of achieving it.

If I could happily stick to one glass per night then I’d like to do that, but past history shows that I can’t and once it turns into a habit or an expectation that I’ll have a drink I end up doing it whether I actually fancy it or not and that’s where the problems start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Alchoholic, alcoholist or binge drinker?’ is closed to new replies.