Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advise a computer numpty on choice of tablet.
  • globalti
    Free Member

My employer is about to be sold to a huuuuge company so I want to remove all my personal stuff from my work laptop. I have 28.7 gb of videos, 10.2 gb of documents and 6.18 gb of pictures, which, apparently, isn’t a lot by modern standards. I like Samsung stuff because I have a Galaxy S7 phone, which is my third Samsung and has always been reliable and I like Windows and Android stuff. I also like the idea of a tablet rather than a laptop for compactness and durability especially as I shall be buying it myself.

So what does the panel recommend? Where’s the best place to buy this kind of stuff? The only gadget I’ve ever bought was my £2.99 cycling phone from Carphone Warehouse.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Move it all to the cloud first, the  put a backup on a USB or micro sd card to keep safe. Any decent tablet should do really, but also maybe a chromebook

captmorgan
    Free Member

Yep if your data doesn’t exist in three locations it’s much more at risk of lose, corruption or virus/ransomware so as said cloud and local usb backups.

as for what platform I’m a Mac man but would suggest laptop of some description.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are looking to keep the data then you really need it in a few places for safety. Get the important stuff on the cloud, then make a copy or two with a usb drive or usb stick. Then you can start thinking about tablets. Samsung tablets are fine in terms of quality. The OS is modified from stock android but if you are happy with a Samsung phone then a Samsung tablet is probably a good option.

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s a lot of personal choice… I use my iPad more than my laptop but there are just somethings that are simpler and easier on the laptop.  I’m bought into Apple but that’s not a recommendation.

My recommendation is get the data safe first then worry about Samsung/Apple/Laptop/Tablet etc.

If its not locked down just buy a USB disc ASAP…. or use some SD cards etc. if you must and also think of a cloud copy.  I don’t know about you but my vids and photo’s of my kid are priceless…

You never now when IT might lock stuff down… delete everything remotely etc. though in times of uncertainty like your company is going through this sort of stuff tends to be out of the blue.  (or they might not do nothing… lots of knee jerk reactions tend to happen in my experience)

seosamh77
    Free Member

10.2 gb of documents is your worry, figure out what they are and whay programs you need to open there. That’ll determine whether you need a laptop of tablet.

Whoever said 45GB isn’t alot of personal stuff is talking nonsense. That’s gajillions in the streaming and cloud storage era! 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve had a Samsung tab s3 for just under year and it’ a great bit of kit. Super fast, brilliant screen and massively expandable with simple sd cards. Works great at tethering with a a galaxy phone for seamless internet also.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I would buy a portable hard drive to copy it all off first.

cranberry
    Free Member

A Tab S3 and a memory card is what you need – it’ll take at least a 128Gb card from memory.

CraigW
    Free Member

Buy a NAS drive to store all your stuff on. Then you can access it all from your laptop or tablet or phone etc.

For tablets, worth a look at Lenovo. Quite reasonably priced, and mostly standard Android, not much bloatware.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

10.2 gb of documents is your worry, figure out what they are and whay programs you need to open there. That’ll determine whether you need a laptop of tablet

listen to this man. What applications are you using for these? Whatever you buy you want to be sure you can run that program.

The easiest and safest option is to buy a similar laptop to your work one, you know how to use it and the reason you want something else is not because it does not suit your needs.

Dont buy an android tablet expecting to replace a laptop

globalti
    Free Member

That looks like sound advice, thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advise a computer numpty on choice of tablet.’ is closed to new replies.