Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice re upper body conditioning. Anybody use the C2 skierg?
  • djflexure

As I’m getting older my upper body strength is a joke compared to the lofty days of my yoof. Used to knock out press ups and sit ups for fun but now my upper body condition is embarrassing in comparison. While I’m not that bothered about brute strength anymore, I would like my upper body to be functionally fit. Just need to find a routine that achieves this. The job I do is sedentary, very long hours at a desk, sometimes from home so a quick workout can break up the day and help me focus.

I still keep pretty fit through cycling (100-200km per wk). I have a gym membership, obviously they are closed now, but the reality is that I hardly ever go. I prefer to get some fresh air walking the dog or riding my bikes if I have free time. I have some dumbells under the bed and fanny around with them when I remember.

I downloaded the Adidas fitness app and intended to give that a go but while it looks OK I have not settled into a routine with it.

I was thinking of getting the C2 ski erg. First saw it used in the Pinkbike Privateer series, I think it was part of Ritchie Rudes training routine. I have had a C2 rower in the past but sold it on as I found the workouts really boring and they also doubled down on legs which I didnt really need. The ski erg is more about core, upper body and looks accessible for 20-30mins workouts. Has anybody used one? Any better suggestions?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Turkish get ups, you won’t see these done often because they are tough, mentally and physically.

There is nothing else that comes close.

djflexure

Will have to Google that one
    EDIT: just had a go – will have to work on it – can’t get off the floor due to hamstring cramp.

nostrils
    Free Member

SkiErg is a great piece of kit and you can do varied workouts on it, shares the same resistance unit and power meter with the C2 rower so you can log all your workouts.

You don’t have to engage the lower body, lots of para athlete use the machine sitting down, really works your arms and back.

Where are you finding one for sale? Concept 2 stuff is like gold dust at the moment.

ahsat

I used one at a gym I worked out at whilst travelling last summer, and was super impressed by it. If we had taller ceilings in our cellar I’d totally get one. That said, the standard xc skiing type movement, really works your legs! After all, skiing is very leg heavy!

dudeofdoom

Have you a got a fold up benCh to go with the barbells.

I think if you haven’t got One you sort of End up doing curls and shoulder presses for a week and then not bothering as It’s boring.

I’m always a bit meh over expensive clothes horses that seemed a good idea at the time 😉

djflexure

@nostrils: there is one local to me with 40K on it – just hit the buy button

@dudeofdoom
    : I had a bench before, squat racks etc but dont have much motivation any more for weights. Sold all that stuff on after it was well usd for a decade or more. You are right in some respects about expensive clothes horses but I’ve had good use out of a Kickr for 5 years so its not all money down the drain.

Anyhow – what workout for a skierg newbie?

nostrils
    Free Member

Standard Tabata is good, 20 seconds work, 10 seconds recovery.

The power monitor is also loaded with mini games that can be very challenging, try the fish game.

djflexure

Will do – off to pick it up now

Spud

We bought a SkiErg last month to supplement some weights and plyo box at home and running/ cycling, I love it. 30 mins on it really is a good workout, used to get bored on the rower. I either do just the SkiErg or mix it up with circuits. I was really surprised at just how much of the body is does work, C2 have a load of info on their www and you can sign-up to daily work out emails from them and programme the SkiErg to run them for you. It’s evil, but very addictive.

toby1

Have to admit, I can’t see how if you got bored on a rower sitting down you’ll be any more motivated to do similar standing up. Sounds like the problem is something you enjoy doing vs something you don’t. As you’ve already bought it though we’ll know if it pops up on the classifieds in a couple of months 😉

BadlyWiredDog

I really like the TRX suspension trainer – or cheapo knock-offs I guess would have the same training effect. Loads of different exercises basically using bodyweight as resistance. Good for core stuff as you’re continually holding your body rigid. Has the bonus of being light and mobile if you’re someone who does work trips and wants to take your training with you.

I mix it up with dumbell stuff, pull-ups and stuff like single-arm press-ups, abdominal exercises etc.

I have no idea what a SkiErg is though. Hang on…

neilthewheel

Hard to beat the good old Bullworker II if you can find one.

djflexure

Tidied up the garage to fit it in, and brought dumbells, mats, rollers and bands all into one place along with the turbo.

Just done 3 hours or so mixed workout – started with 10 mins stretching (hate stretching), then 25 mins on the ski erg (just getting used to the action), some dumbell weights (3 sets) interspersed with roller. 50K on zwift to finish at 2.5w/kg.

Felt like a good balanced workout, which is what I was after. Nothing too difficult – trying to keep in my ‘flow channel’

Will report back in a month 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Medium size power kite on a windy day is a great workout and packs rather small.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice re upper body conditioning. Anybody use the C2 skierg?’ is closed to new replies.