Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on permanent awnings for the garden
  • benp1

Thinking of getting an awning put up in the garden, but a proper one made of glass or polycarbonate rather than a retractable one. Quite large, maybe 4m x 3m. Carport sort of size. The ones I’ve seen have drainage built in but the prices vary massively

I like the idea of having somewhere under cover for sitting outside that can protect us from the rain, will also be used for drying off dog after a walk and maybe putting up the washing.

We have a W/SW facing garden so the sun streams in from early afternoon onwards, Slightly worried it might block some of the light.

Does anyone have one that can share how they got on with it? Or can share any advice? And how hard are they to clean?

molgrips
    Free Member

I was planning on building one of these but interested in any ready-made options too. Ours would need a clear roof to let winter sun into the kitchen.

benp1

Same, needs a clear roof. I want to let the sun in, and for it to be easy to clean if it gets dirty. Main benefit is somewhere out the rain, but it’ll be over the back of our house so visible, don’t want anything ugly. Already have a homemade lean to type thing that I built, it’s next to the house at the back of the garage – functional but not pretty

sam_underhill

My neighbour has something like this. Basically constructed with joist running down to a couple of oak posts & beam. Then come clear plastic stuff to turn it into a roof. It looks surprisingly good considering it’s plastic roofing. The most annoying thing is that it easily traps my bbq smoke and wafts into their kitchen. Well, most annoying for them anyway 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is a plastic one not really noisy?

ElShalimo

What about a sail? Very popular in NZ and in Europe – they get more sun so must know what works well

benp1

I guess noise might be an issue if the plastic isn’t sturdy enough, but then it might not be transparent enough. Hence looking for real world reviews

I’m less worried about the sun, more about the rain so sail wouldn’t work

molgrips
    Free Member

What about a sail?

Got a pic of what you mean?

In our case the lack of sun is what makes it harder, not easier, because the whole house is gloomy as hell in the winter.

Mine is also aimed at keeping the patio dry and hence clean than dealing with sun. The parasol we have now does taht.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m less worried about the sun, more about the rain so sail wouldn’t work

??

julians
    Free Member

Got a pic of what you mean?

I presume he means these https://www.clarashadesails.co.uk/

ElShalimo

Google “shade sails” and you’ll see loads of them

benp1

I don’t really like sails, and they won’t protect us from the rain for the non-sunny conditions

I also don’t really want to block any light, have a parasol and sometimes stick a tarp up if it’s a problem. But I really would like an under cover area, hence some sort of glass awning (unless there are other options)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on permanent awnings for the garden’ is closed to new replies.