Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Advice on getting out of a Mobile Phone Contract
  • franksinatra

Hive mind help needed, please.

I am with Orange, have been for many years. I moved home a while ago and since then have no signal at all at home. Absolutely nothing, despite their coverage map suggesting that I should get 3g.

This hasn’t been a problem as I had Galaxy s2 which uses UMA Signal Boost to connect to network via wifi. Unfortunately my phone was stolen last week and has now been replaced by insurance, but as my insurance is not with Orange they have sent me a unbranded S2, which means no signal boost, therefore no signal.

Nothing insurance company will do, and only option from orange is an early upgrade but will cost me £200! I want to jump ship to Vodafone who have better signal but still have one year left on my contract. Orange have suggested that they will hold me to contract.

As a foot note, I need signal at home to be messaged for Mountain rescue callouts.

Any thoughts?

wwaswas

cheap Vodafone PAYG that you keep at home for Mountain Rescue purposes?

johndoh
    Free Member

If you need phone for work, speak to the employer (assuming the rescue isn’t entirely voluntary)

Flaperon

http://devsrom4android.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/uk-orange-samsung-galaxy-s2-official.html

Flash the stock Orange ROM to it, then allow it to perform any updates necessary. Should restore Signal Boost.

Or buy a Signal Box (wonderful thing, even if it does mean I’m paying for Orange’s network architecture).

dooosuk
    Free Member

Sell the insurance S2 and buy a replacement Orange phone from Ebay.

officialtob
    Free Member

A lot of places will buy you out of an existing contract if you take out a new one with them. I think Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U do it anyway?

joemarshall
    Free Member

You can re-flash the firmware to make it an Orange one with UMA

or if you root it, you can stick this onto your existing firmware:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1663778

franksinatra

All good suggestions.

Thought about cheap PAYG but trying to avoid carrying two phonesFlashing ROm would be ideal, never done anything like that before, is it tricky?

MR is voluntary.

Would consider buying a signal booster, any particualr one that you reconmend? Cost may be a factor though

Buying out of contract may be a winner, will look into that

luke
    Free Member

I’d argue that the insurance replacement wasn’t of the same spec as the one it is replacing as you cannout use UMA.

franksinatra

I’d argue that the insurance replacement wasn’t of the same spec as the one it is replacing as you cannout use UMA.

tried that, they offer only the best match. They cannot provide Orange phones, unbranded S2 is seen as a suitable replacement as they couldn’t give me an orange one even if they wanted to.

Cougar

Tell them you’ll take the money instead, then.

dannybgoode

Agree with Cougar – the insurer isn’t fulfilling their duties IMHO and should instead give you the cash equiv for a Galaxy S2.

Drop me an email if you want me to draft you a letter accordingly. May be a bit of a long shot but worth a try…

Cheers

Danny B

joemarshall
    Free Member

Unless you’re super unhappy with the phone, and really want the cash/hassle, just flash the firmware, it’s a piece of piss to do.

franksinatra

Just got a cash equivalent payment from insurance and refund of excess that I paid. £295 now in the bank, I get to keep the phone!

Now to flash the phone….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Advice on getting out of a Mobile Phone Contract’ is closed to new replies.