Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice needed on selling classic car related bits
  • ThePinkster

Bit of a random one this, but following the clearing of Dad’s house after he died earlier this year I discovered a couple of bits from his Daimler owning days. He used to have a Daimler Majestic Major for many years, and spent many more trying to restore it before having to give up due to spiralling costs and lack of time.

I have discovered that he was still in possession of not only the original handbook but also the official service manual. To top it all he also had the radiator from it as well!

These bits are of no use to me and I was wondering whether anyone here would have any suggestions (other than eBay) as to who I could contact in regards to getting them valued and possibly selling them on?

I’ve tried to contact the Daimler and Lanchester Owners Club, but their website only has an email address for members, so tried DMing via Facebook but not had anything back yet.

In case anyone may be interested, here are photos of the bits.

frogstomp

Even if you weren’t planning on selling on eBay you can get a rough idea of pricing by searching for completed listings, eg.

Service Manual
    Owners Handbook
    Grille

ThePinkster

Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are their fora for it? I’ve had great help from user fora for my classics (admittedly way more modern).

I’d use eBay too but I get that you don’t want to.

duncancallum

That grill is lovely.

I’d have that hung up in my house/workshop.

I’d look at sites such as practical classics or even octane

mboy
    Free Member

My colleague has recently been through the same problem. Facebook owners groups and forums are naturally the best places to speak to the true enthusiasts, however owing to the demographic of the cars and likely their enthusiasts, you’re far less likely to get decent responses from enthusiasts of 60yr old vehicles than you are modern ones I guess!

Persist though… eBay is just full of vultures. I’m sure your Dad would much rather any other like minded enthusiasts could put his bits and pieces to good use than anybody just trying to make a quick buck selling them on!

reeksy

I’ve sold heaps of Triumph car parts through the Facebook groups.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Facebook groups +1

Old people use Facebook too, they just tend to hide on the Britain’s First group rather than the more fun leftie tag groups.

Log books might be worth a few quid, but obviously they’re only worth anything significant if they’re with the right car. And even then just as a curiosity rather than a “the cars worth nothing without it” kind of effect.

The grill will probably end up as wall art unless you find someone in the process of restoring one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The problem is classic car bits, there’ll be someone in a group who insists “it’s worth £££ any day!”. And it might be, if you’re prepared to put it in the back of your car and take it to auto jumbles every weekend for the next 6 years untill the person who absolutely needs it stumbles across it and will consider it a bargain at any price.

Otherwise, like me, you end up with an unusual MG Midget hardtop that is probably worth £250 or so. But I’ve had so may people tell me that, that I’ll probably just put it on eBay for £50 as I’m fed up storing the bloody thing waiting for someone to come allong who actually wants it.

ThePinkster

Cheers for the advice chaps.

I think I’ll initially stick with the owners club Facebook and see if I get a response from them.

There’s a members forum on their website too but I’m loathed to spend money joining just on the off chance that someone may buy them.

Much appreciated, thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on selling classic car related bits’ is closed to new replies.