Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Advice about me hub issue
  • belgianwaffle1

Came back from a sick ride in the hills to realise that my rear hub has play and a quick google search shows that it is probably the bearings that need replacing. The wheelset was off the classifieds and has been only a few months since I got it.

It is a hope pro 2 (non boost version) and I really like it but after looking at the prices for bearings + pawl + freehub (the current one is a bit mangled) kit it looks like about 130 quid to service it (something which I have no idea how to do).

So I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the best option? Should I:

a. Splash on a nice hub (pro4/stans/similar) and just replace that and fork out the money for a custom wheel build.

or

b. Suck it up and service the hub.

What is the normal rate for a wheel build if I supply all of the stuff?

TIA.

nickjb
    Free Member

The freehubs on them always look a bit mangled. It’s pretty soft aluminium so if you use it with steel sprockets they dig in. Doesn’t do much damage, just rub off any burrs. Bearings are a wear item so it’s worth learning to change them. Id double check if the other parts really need replacing before buying new parts

cookeaa

Does it actually need a new freehub body? A change of bearings and pawls may well be all it needs and that can be done with some pretty basic tools.

There’s lots of videos on YouTube for this sort of job…

belgianwaffle1

Freehub body wasn’t in great condition last time I checked and that was a while ago. I could file it down mind so that might be a solution to one of my problems. I’ll have to make sure that the issue is actually my bearings tomorrow as I haven’t had a good look yet.

Are there any other things that could be wrong with a hub that would cause side to side movement?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You may not have to replace all the bearings.

Cougar

You might want to ask in the bike forum, I was about to talk with you about your ADSL issues.

You can report your own post these days IIRC, and the mods will move it for you.

Standards are slipping, etc etc.

Northwind

The freehub has to be <really> mangled before it’s a problem, if you put up a pic we can probably help there… Pawls very rarely need replaced, the springs do tend to break from time to time but they’re a “replace if needed”.

Pro 2s (and evos if that’s what it is) are good hubs and almost always worth servicing. Any decent bike shop can do it quickly… Or, how practical are you? It’s not easy easy but, if you own some sockets and a hammer and a drift and some sense it’s very diy’able. Or you can buy “proper” bearing tools but I think most people just use sockets. The main thing is that you have to really work at it to hurt the hub- it’s fairly easy to slip and damage the new bearing which is annoying but only a few quid really.

oldnpastit

Check the dropout. If the bolts holding it in place have cone loose that will give you rear wheel wobble.

duncancallum

Just put bearings in it.

They’re a consumable.

Look at MB bearings for a kit….
    https://mbbearings.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_11

dyna-ti

Pro2 bearing support tools – £25
    Bearings – Whatever your choice, but be aware that cheap bearings will always be cheap, and may be ‘clicky’ even after proper installation. The actual Hope replacement bearings- a total of 5 will be £33

Not sure who gave you a quote of £130, if its a shop thats just a rip off.

Id you have probs locating the Hope ones specifically, you could look to buy individuals.
    1 x 61902; Inner Diameter: 15mm; Outer Diameter: 28mm
    2 x 61802; Inner Diameter: 15mm; Outer Diameter: 24mm
    2 x 61903; Inner Diameter: 17mm; Outer Diameter: 30mm
    I have in the past done this, keeping an eye out for people selling extras or spare bearings of higher quality, at way better than the initial retail price.
    SKF and Enduro bearings are a top choice.

belgianwaffle1

@dyna-ti

thanks for the breakdown. 130 was with a new steel freehub body but it looks like I probably won’t need one soon.

Thanks.

jamiemcf

@belgianwaffle1
    Get stuck into the hope videos on maintenance. Hope also do good exploded product diagrams with all codes.

Amongst others I’ve used sjscycles and bikegoo for small parts.

belgianwaffle1

Just rang up the LBS and they gave me quote of 50. Seems tempting as I would have to pay more to do it myself…

Took the rear wheel out and as some predicted the bearings don’t feel great at all. They are rough but suprisingly roll smoothly.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve done a few Hope hubs, if you are anywhere near Galashiels you are welcome to come round one evening and I’ll show you how to do it (I’m away until 4 May)

belgianwaffle1

@andrewh

thanks for the offer mate 🙂

unfortunately I am miles away (SW London)

andrewh
    Free Member

No worries. As someone said above, just have a look on the YouTube, plenty of people there showing you how to it.

Northwind

TBH £50 is a good price if it’s done with Hope bearings or an equivalent quality (Hope’s own bearings are always from good manufacturers and usually very well priced)

qwerty
    Free Member
    belgianwaffle1

Whoops,

Just had a look with @ Dekerfer and it looks like the wheel wasn’t exactly tight enough. This time I had to tighten it further than I normally would, hence why I thought it was a bearing issue.

The bearings definetely don’t feel as good as the ones on the front, so they might need replacing along the line anyway.

Thanks for everyones help and I’ll refer back to this thread when the time comes anyway.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can get a bit more life from bearings by popping the seals off and putting some fresh grease in. You can usually do this without taking the bearings out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Advice about me hub issue’ is closed to new replies.