Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Adjustable Spanners
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Not technically bike chat, so hope this is ok in here.

I of course have spanners, but there’s still a place for an adjustable.

Who makes a quality option? Which should I buy? Mid sized… 10-20mm or so?

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

Bahco. I’d go for a bigger size. For smaller nuts you usually have the right sized spanner and its much easier to use that. The bigger one is a handy general tool

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Bahco good shout. Had them in mind. Worth paying more for teng or wera? Probably not for none professional use?

Stoner
    Free Member
    mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Probably not, no.

I have a couple of Stanley black/yellow handles which do fine for occasional use.

theotherjonv

make sure it does metric sizes; my Uncle only had imperial sized and it used to cause all sorts of confusion.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Bahco, although I keep meaning to buy one of the Knipex plier wrench, that’s linked above, they do a smaller version for less money.

Bear
    Free Member

Bahco are very good.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Always Bahco. If you want to spend more get one with the reversible jaw, great for getting medieval on stuck stuff. And get a big one, 10 or 12 especially if you have older bikes (square taper bb, non aheadset etc)

imn

Knipex pliers wrench in size(s) best suited to what you want to work on.

nickhit3
    Free Member

make sure it does metric sizes; my Uncle only had imperial sized and it used to cause all sorts of confusion.

underappreciated post imo.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d buy Bahco or Rothenburger…

Tracey

Got a big one in the tool kit that is at least 40 years old and has been used for alsorts, main use now is on a cassette locking nut tool.

Saw one of these on a local market stall and just had to have one in the camper, its replaced the big rock we had for knocking in the storm pegs.

dannyh
    Free Member

There’s always space for an adjustable spanner, just as there always is for mole grips – how on earth else are professional bodgers supposed to function?

onandon
    Free Member

[/quote]There’s always space for an adjustable spanner( adjustable nut fu@£er ), just as there always is for mole grips

Fixed that for you.

dovebiker

12″ adjustable is very handy for bike, DIY and car mechanics. I have some 18″ Stilsons for serious ‘bodging’ including removing seized BB cups from old frames.

BigJohn

If you do plumbing work, the Am-Tech Stubby adjustable is excellent and very cheap.

If you don’t do plumbing, you really, really shouldn’t be let anywhere near an adjustable.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cheers everyone!

Found a bargain BNWT Bahco 10 incher on eBay. Got some smaller Bahco adjustables in tool box already, dads old ones, made in Sweden, now made in Spain apparently. Hope they’re as good!

wrecker
    Free Member

They aren’t unfortunately.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do they come in metric sizes?

survivor

Another vote for Knipex. Pricey but hands down one of the best tools I’ve bought.

Replaces loads of spanners and doesn’t round off nuts like adjustables do.

timber

Try searching for ‘locking adjustable spanner’, best of both tools.

maccruiskeen

Pricey but hands down one of the best tools I’ve bought.

They’re good in two ways – one is they do the job of two tools ( pliers and AJ) and rather than being a compromise between the two they do a better job than each of them.

The other is they’re much lighter than either of those tools too, and an easier shape have in your pocket which means they’re always there when you want them.

shifter
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned Bahco yet?
    I have several, none I’ve paid for.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I have several, none I’ve paid for.

I had several at one time & none paid for as well.

Ahh, the good old National Coal Board. 😉

martinhutch

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Adjustable Spanners’ is closed to new replies.