Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Adhesive-backed rubber tape to use as stay protector??
  • strike
    Free Member

Any suggestion e.g. something from 3M?  I need something to stick on a section of the chainstay to prevent chain-slap chipping of the paint.

stevied
    Free Member

2228 is fantastic. I’ve used it on my down tube too.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just wrapped my stay in self-amalgamating tape, winding it round like handlebar tape. Just needs a bit of glue at the end.

edd

@chakaping – what tape did you use and what glue?

chakaping
    Free Member

I had the tape in stock from years ago but it’s quite narrow one, just stuck the end down with Gorilla Glue.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Self amalgamating plumbers tape, used it on all my bikes you can prevent the ends unwrapping with a small cable tie or more recently discovered cutting the end at 45degrees and stretching it a little it stays in place remarkably well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Amalgamating-Repair-Tape-10m-Rubber-Waterproof-Sealing-Insulation-19mm-25mm/352427712954?epid=2256121197&hash=item520e5421ba:m:m5nC-2wh-KWRtu6rocZAszw

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape +1, B&Q have it with the electrical tape for some reason.

They also do a brown/copper/tan coloured one which looks nice on steel bikes.

Just a weap of electrical tape at either end holds it on, but it seems to amalgamate even more over time, once it’s been there a few days/weeks you’ll only get it off by slitting it end to end with a knife.

lunge

What about some cheap bar tape? You can pick up some cheap stuff for under £5 on eBay, loads of colours and should stay put.

stevextc
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape seems to wear through pretty quickly… and it’s more expensive than a nice kevlar chain protector.

Fluffy (loop) velcro works pretty good and wears longer though it does hold oil or water.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape seems to wear through pretty quickly

Can’t remember where I got it from in the end, but I did find some shops/brands were much tougher than others.

stevextc
    Free Member

Yep but is it cheaper…. change from a tenner, kevlar reinforced and I don’t mind the discrete NP logo on my NP (after all there are about 250 others less discrete on the complete bike)

(£8.09 @ tredz)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Do people not have old tubes lying about any more? 😉

nairnster
    Free Member

I went full enduro with a functional tube wrapped around the stay and held in place with reusable zip ties.

If I need to put a tube in my tireless tyres I can take it off and use it. 😉

There are much better looking choices than an old inner tube nowadays. I suppose it depends on if you care about form/function.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep but is it cheaper…. change from a tenner, kevlar reinforced and I don’t mind the discrete NP logo on my NP (after all there are about 250 others less discrete on the complete bike)

(£8.09 @ tredz)

No, that’s about 4x the price (I’m sure it was £1.99 for a roll long enough to do both chainstays)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Bog standard electrical tape works fine for me. A good few layers. If you do a good job of cleaning and degreasing the surface before you apply it stays on.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I went full enduro with a functional tube wrapped around the stay and held in place with reusable zip ties.

I think the valve would annoy me too much, also even if the chain doesn’t trash it before i come to need it, I’d fully expect it to be inflated at some point either because I’m not paying attention when topping up tyres or more likely because one of my riding mates happened to have his co2 inflator to hand whilst i was map reading astride my bike.

daern
    Free Member

I have one of these on my gravel bike and it’s great and cost less than a fiver from BikeInn Spain (I was buying other stuff anyway, so shipping was already covered):
    https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en-gb/accessories/Protection/PRO_AC_CHAINPROTEC

I know that we all like to ghetto up a solution, but sometimes the proper thing looks better and works better and, being honest, I think this is one of those cases. The extra thickness (a bit like a Pivot OEM protector that are built into their frames) really helps to stop any chain hits rattling the bike (although the Ultegra RX mech has stopped most of it now!) and the fit is pretty much perfect, so it looks like it was made for the bike (well, nearly, anyway!):

I’ve done electrical tape and old inner tubes too in the past, but I’m a bit older (and, very occasionally, wiser!) now and think that this is a problem that’s already been solved pretty well, and inexpensively.

escrs
    Free Member

Use and old inner tube, cut the tube in half either side of the valve, throw the valve away, wrap it tight all along the chain stay making sure each end is tucked in on itself and then zip tie on at each end

photo 14066431_10157224534650161_3372107678901508838_o_zpscfau12si.jpg

Northwind

I use 2228, there’s no comparison with normal self amalgamating tape, it’s way tougher.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Adhesive-backed rubber tape to use as stay protector??’ is closed to new replies.