• This topic has 185 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Adam Johnson
  • crankboy
    Free Member

Educator can you provide any evidence to show any forced marriage of an underage girl in the UK that has been consummated and not prosecuted ?

crankboy
    Free Member

Double post

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Edukator, I was speaking about legally recognised weddings not behind closed doors religious ones. I can’t comment on underage weddings under Islam although it’s widely known religious weddings take place here in the UK without them being conducted/duplicated legally.

Edukator
    Free Member

Watch France 24 today. There’s a special on forced marriage including the UK running. Right now in fact and no doubt again later.

Edukator
    Free Member

Google Grankboy, if I can find examples I’m sure you can. A Judge couldn’t even cancel the marriage in one case, which tells you they are legally binding, Jambalaya.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A Judge couldn’t even cancel the marriage in one case, which tells you they are legally binding, Jambalaya.

Got a copy of the judgement?

Inbred456
    Free Member

There are two parties at fault here, Adam Johnson for obvious reasons and he has been dealt with accordingly.
    The parents of this child have surely let their daughter down here. I know where my Son is every second of every day. If I had a daughter I would be even more paranoid.

bencooper
    Free Member

So any parent who doesn’t keep their teenage daughter under lock and key every hour of the day is at fault if they get groomed?

Rubbish.

There’s only one person at fault here, and he’s in jail.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Edukator, thanks I’ll find the piece on France24

deepreddave
    Free Member

Inbred456 – Member
    … I know where my Son is every second of every day. If I had a daughter I would be even more paranoid.

As a parent of teenagers you cannot ever KNOW where they are every second but you can avoid being naive by not assuming you do.

Edukator
    Free Member

No, Thisisniotaspoon, however if you are prepared to believe the judge’s words quoted by the Huffington Post.

hora
    Free Member

I also agree with Mrs toast

MSP

@Edukator The Judge couldn’t nullify the marriage because the request came from a third party not the victim, it is quite clear that if the victim had made the request he would have. It may be a legal loophole that needs clearing up to allow official parties working in the victims best interests to make the request, but that case isn’t as you had been representing it.

crankboy
    Free Member

So Educator you can’t find a UK example of a forced marriage in the HK where the man has escaped prosecution but you have found an example of one where a judge said if the wife applied it would be declared a nulity but a third party has no standing to have someone else’s marriage nullified .

Edukator
    Free Member

I was only using it to demonstrate that under age marriages were legally recognised in answer to Jamby, MSP. The judge clearly acknowledged the girl was married even though she was under-age when married.

The victim would have had to make more than a request, she would have have to take legal proceedings which would have added to her trauma.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No details of the cleric who “would be happy to marry girls of 12” in the UK Edukator?

Where did you see the quote?

Edukator
    Free Member

Ernie, use Google, try something like “cleric happy to marry girls of 12”. Sunday Times or Daily Mail.

Why all the disbelief? You’re the fourth person to query what I’m posting on this thread.

When teaching in the UK in a middle school one of the 15-year-old girls was a prostitute. Nothing was ever done about it and no attempt made to bring her clients to justice. Now what do you think would have happened if one of those clients had been a famous footballer?

The degree of “turning a blind eye” to all sorts of illegal activity was staggering. Mustn’t make waves in the community, tolerance of blah, blah. Well as I’ve already stated we walked out.

I’m not defending the footballer, I just think it would be nice if society put as much effort into doing something about the more serious crimes against women that are never even investigated because they don’t concern famous footballers and nobody dares even if somebody cares.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, use Google, try something like “cleric happy to marry girls of 12”. Sunday Times or Daily Mail.

Why all the disbelief? You’re the fourth person to query what I’m posting on this thread.

It has nothing to do with disbelieving you. I was interested in the details as it suggests a serious breach of UK laws.

I’ve done what you’ve suggested, ie, googled “cleric happy to marry girls of 12” and it did indeed take me to a Daily Mail article, the last paragraph of the article states :

The Home Office said: ‘Child marriage is totally unacceptable and illegal. Perceived cultural sensitivities and political correctness cannot and will not get in the way of preventing and uncovering such abuse.’

The point I wanted to make is that if there is evidence of child abuse then it should be reported and dealt with in the appropriate manner, as has happened in the Adam Johnson case.

Furthermore the article states that “an investigation has found” this apparently means “an undercover Sunday Times reporter”, which I’m sure you’ll agree isn’t necessarily the most reliable source, specially if they haven’t passed their information to the police. My initial interest in your comment was whether there had been a prosecution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200555/The-British-child-brides-Muslim-mosque-leaders-agree-marry-girl-12–long-parents-dont-tell-anyone.html

Edukator
    Free Member

I agree with all that, Ernie. In reality there is a gulf between the Home Office statement and the reality of what happens on the ground. See Rotherham. And in my personal experience (going back a long time I know) a teacher is more likely to be intimidated by their hierarchy than supported in dealing with illegal activity concerning their students whether perpetrators or victims.

crankboy
    Free Member

Where you get to is child marriages are illegal and not recognised as valid marriages if preformed in this country but this country recognises a foreign marriage as valid if legal in that foreign country and will recognise that marriage legally to the extent our courts will take steps to disolve it or render it a nulity if appropriate . If our courts did not “recognise” a foreign forced or child marriage how could they legally end it in away that had international effect ?

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’m sorry but there is no way you are telling me that the parents of this girl had no inkling what was going on. I’m pretty confident in my parenting that I know where my son is, not every second but in the main I know where he is and who he is with. I also know roughly what he is doing on social media. Maybe we just have different methods of parenting and intervention. Maybe it’s easier with boys especially ones into sport etc.

hora
    Free Member

If you/both parents work and your daughter has to get herself to school and she decides to go absent and the first you know is 1pm as a phone call from school how do you unpick the mess as a parent? It takes time and alot of anguish.

Children can be wide open to grooming as they aren’t emotionally mature.

Anyone who thinks he should have a lesser sentance is abit odd.

When I was 27 I wouldn’t even register a 15yr old in any sexual sense. Would you?

johnnystorm

Educator says:
    When teaching in the UK in a middle school one of the 15-year-old girls was a prostitute. Nothing was ever done about it and no attempt made to bring her clients to justice. Now what do you think would have happened if one of those clients had been a famous footballer?

Are you saying that in your school you knew a 15 year old was a prostitute and nobody, including yourself did anything about it? Really?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Maybe it’s easier with boys especially ones into sport etc.

Here’s hoping football isn’t his sport of choice. 😕

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Edukator – France24, which programme had the report, had a quick look at todays’s schedule and couldn’t find whixh programme it might have been in – all sounded a bit general except a piece about whether the French govt was doing enough to counter extremism

hora
    Free Member

Educator why didn’t you do anything?

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Adam Johnson’ is closed to new replies.