• This topic has 185 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)
  • Adam Johnson
  • kilo

Don’t think there is much chance of 12 months , the last one I dealt with pleaded guilty to the proper legal definition of the act of grooming at the first opportunity and got 40 months 10 years on register and indefinite SHPO, so 5 would seem almost about right.
    My guy travelled to have sex with a 14 year old girl and instead got a 48 year old bloke with hancuffs and an extendable baton.. oooer!!

Stealth edit, he was in I.t but was very scummy

paul4stones

@robin_perrie: The range of sentence for #AdamJohnson is 4-10 years. The starting point is 5 years.aggravating and mitigating factors will affect that

That’s according to my mate who is a Sun reporter and was tweeting details of the trial. I’ve never seen so much discussion about pubic hair length…..

eddie11
    Free Member

there’s some delightful opinions being expressed above. 😕

i think what this case is suggesting is the protection the law offers to women is improving and that’s brilliant. Its miles ahead of where society was in the 70s but its still ahead of some of the attitudes on here.

MoreCashThanDash

[Devils advocate]

Of course, the other side to this is that in quite a few allegedly enlightened European/western countries this wouldn’t be a crime, however morally reprehensible his actions were?

[/Devil’s advocate?]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So, yes his profession and salary have got a lot to do with it and should be taken into account when sentencing.

I hope the judiciary don’t believe this. The other downside of his profession is that he gets coverage. Apart from the deserved shaming, I see v little purpose in extensive news coverage.

He should be treated like any other person who is guilty of the crime. And we really do not need to know the details….

the-muffin-man

He should be treated like any other person who is guilty of the crime. And we really do not need to know the details….

But his position* was a factor in the crime – as would a teachers position be in grooming a pupil. I doubt he’d have got very far if he was a Sunday league player.

(*his wage is not though).

footflaps

But his position* was a factor in the crime – as would a teachers position be in grooming a pupil.

Hardly the same, Teachers are by definition responsible for Children welfare 8 hours a day. Footballers are not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hardly the same

Nobody has said it’s the “same”, only that it’s a factor.

martinhutch

Nobody has said it’s the “same”, only that it’s a factor.

Exactly. These players have a godlike status among a subset of teenage fans – he abused that position to coerce one into underage sex, and that has to be an aggravating factor when it comes to sentencing.

Also, maintaining his innocence of the grooming offence right up to the court date, probably just to keep the money rolling in, has meant the victim has been deluged with threats and abuse for over a year.

Klunk
    Free Member

the sun are doing their best to compare him to Huntley and Bellfield 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

Of course, the other side to this is that in quite a few allegedly enlightened European/western countries this wouldn’t be a crime, however morally reprehensible his actions were?

That’s irrelevant.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That’s irrelevant.

not really – if we consider, as a nation, that sex with a 15 year old is a perversion, then why are we happy to be in a union with nations that tolerate such perversion ?

Another reason to get out of the EU…

MrsToast
    Free Member

“However, she was only just under the age of consent. Are you telling us that if she was say, six months older, it would be perfectly OK? Which I think is the OPs point. I don’t know her exact age. What if it was a day before her birthday? A day after?”

She’d just had her 15th birthday when he started to groom her – she’d told him that. She’d told him that she wasn’t old enough to go out, and the text messages show that it was him that kept on turning the conversations sexual. His behaviour was classic grooming, very similar to the guys in Rochdale and Rotherham – find a vulnerable/impressionable teenage girl, flatter her and give her gifts, build a relationship and pressure her into thinking that she owes sexual favours before escalating the abuse.

European countries with a lower age of consent do have disclaimers written into law – for example, countries with an age of 14 have laws such as its a criminal offence if someone ‘abuses their position’ to have sex with an under 18, or that it’s a criminal offence to have sex with somebody under 16/18 if they’re not emotionally or physically mature enough to fully understand the act, or that 14-16/18 is only legal if there’s no more than a two year age gap between the partners.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Go and have a read about the various conditions surrounding lower ages of consent across Europe TurnerGuy. Come back to us when you understand the matter at hand a little better.

Thread about grooming someone under the age of consent becomes someone’s reason to “get out of the EU…”

Weird with a tinge of sinister.

jon1973
    Free Member

not really – if we consider, as a nation, that sex with a 15 year old is a perversion, then why are we happy to be in a union with nations that tolerate such perversion ?

Another reason to get out of the EU…

I didn’t realise this was a thread about the EU.

ransos
    Free Member

if we consider, as a nation, that sex with a 15 year old is a perversion, then why are we happy to be in a union with nations that tolerate such perversion ?

We consider that people abusing their position to groom a child for sex, knowing them to be underage, is a serious crime.

Your attempt to link this crime to the EU referendum is in extremely poor taste.

bikebouy
    Free Member

IMO it’s a simple abuse of position and grooming. Quite right he should go down, and go down hard for a very long time. I have no sympathy for anyone, whatever status or profession, who grooms and commits Sex crimes with minors.

If you want my opinion on his employer, well I think they’ve been very naive and lack the moral backbone to manage a club, legal support and advice or not. Any management team employing someone who confesses, or is told of an arrest by the police for a charge of this nature, and chooses to ignore and do nothing, legal advice and support or not, and continues to support the employee who has commited these offences should in any moral standing community either sack or stand down from a position of management.

Clearly the management support child abuse.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sunderland imo acted correctly and in accordance with the law, he said he was not guilty and would plead that way. They suspended him but could not do more till plea / trial. Bikebouy you cannot terminate someone’s contract just for being charged with something. I had an ex colleague who was charged with fare dodging (one of the high profile cases) he could not be fired till he was proven guilty

As for Johnson I find it hard to believe this was a first liason with a young fan. His sentence, assuming 5 years, seems correct. He used his position of notoriety to groom a girl who had just turned 15, the 10 year age difference is very relevant. It does however highlight how weak sentencing is for other crimes.

As for EU reference, two things. In Italy the age of consent is 14, if he where not British we couldn’t deport him as he has a human right to a family life with his daughter, case law precedent defined by ECJ.

Klunk
    Free Member

As for EU reference, two things. In Italy the age of consent is 14, if he where not British we couldn’t deport him as he has a human right to a family life with his daughter, case law precedent defined by ECJ.

more #jambafacts it’s not the ECJ its the European Convention on Human Rights which was established at the European Court of Human Rights which is not the EU

kilo

if he where not British we couldn’t deport him as he has a human right to a family life with his daughter, case law precedent defined by ECJ.

Handy you mentioned that I am currently invovled in getting some ne’er do wells deported and our Q.C, junior and the relevant Home Office Solicitors haven’t noticed that we’re wasting our time as they all have kids, I’ll point them to this and we can foget about it and go to the pub 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Klunk it was a broad reference and in any case we cannot overule the ECJ because of our membership of the EU. How it was setup is irrelevant, its about the way the EU has migrated and increased its influence.

binners

bikebouy – you are actually aware that this is the UK, not North Korea? Fortunately, if you’re accused of anything here, you get to go to trail. A proper trial too. Not one conducted by the tabloid press.

He told his employer that he was innocent of all charges, and intended to please not guilty to all those charges against him. Surely if they then sacked him, he’d be able to take them to court for unfair dismissal?

So don’t rail against his employer. They just did what they were legally, contractually obliged in doing, given the information they were supplied.

And I don’t understand why the police have now weighed in, and said that they told Sunderland about all the charges against him. Yeah… and….?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Go and have a read about the various conditions surrounding lower ages of consent across Europe TurnerGuy. Come back to us when you understand the matter at hand a little better.

As far as I can see (wikipedia) some countries have age restrictions and some don’t.

Not defending the bloke, just think he looks a bit like Rupert Friend…

martinhutch

Quite. If it turned out they’d sacked someone on the back of some baseless allegations, he’d be enforcing payment on the remaining years on his contract if the charges were dropped or thrown out of court. Obviously they would lose quite a handy player too, but that’s as self-interested as it gets, and given they suspended him in the first instance, probably not their guiding principle.

theotherjonv

I haven’t read the details but did the police tell SAFC of the charges, or i understood they’d actually shared some of the evidence as well.

That said – if he maintains innocence up to (and suppose he had beyond the pleading stage of the trial) it’s not for the police or the club to say whether the evidence is right or not.

On the other hand – proven guilty or not, most employers have the ability to terminate employment for behaviour likely to damage their reputation.

I suspect – it was in his interest to stay employed to bank as much cash as he could knowing he was guilty and would be a/ going to prison and b/ unemployable as a footballer thereafter. Don’t know if that is dishonest or not – just trying to salvage what he can for his family while he can.

And it was probably also not against Sunderland’s interests to not invoke any disrepute clause, to fall back against a legal ‘innocent until proven guilty’ safety net, and use him to avoid relegation, figuring the smell would go away faster than the impact of dropping to the Championship and missing out on the big money.

All IMHO of course.

binners

proven guilty or not, most employers have the ability to terminate employment for behaviour likely to damage their reputation.

If Premiership clubs enforced that, none of them would be able to scrape a team together most weeks

I suspect – it was in his interest to stay employed to bank as much cash as he could knowing he was guilty and would be a/ going to prison and b/ unemployable as a footballer thereafter.

That was precisely what I thought.

theotherjonv

The argument would be whether anything they do nowadays can bring their reputation any further down.

Although i suspect groping a 15 year old still just about gets over that threshold.

[ some of my club’s recent signings – I’m not sure if it damages their reputation or just calls into question their claim to be a ‘football’ club. Cos some of them sure as hell aren’t footballers]

bainbrge

And I don’t understand why the police have now weighed in, and said that they told Sunderland about all the charges against him. Yeah… and….?

Suspect if you look on facebook for the leading officer on the case, you’ll see a Newcastle supporter 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

he broke the law and he deserves to be punished. That said i don’t think hes a ‘peodo’ in the strictest sense (oviously in the eyes of the law he is), 15 year old girls aren’t children. Its the grooming and taking advantage bit which is the sickening bit imo…i know someone who met his wife when she was 15 and he was around 22. They’ve been married for 15 years.

Hes clearly an arrogant dick..why would you cheat on your GF with anyone, especially when she loooks like his misses and hes just had a kid

That said newcastle fans have him nailed…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjm-LWi0ao[/video]

nsfw….

martinhutch

That said i don’t think hes a ‘peodo’ in the strictest sense (oviously in the eyes of the law he is),

No he’s not. Paedophilia is an attraction to pre-pubescent children. He’s a sex offender. Still not something to put on your house sign, I suppose.

tpbiker
    Free Member

No he’s not. Paedophilia is an attraction to pre-pubescent children. .

didn’t realise there was a distinction in the eyes of the law. Makes sense…

kilo

The distinction in law separates children under 13, and children aged 13 to 15 not pre or post puberty and a 15 year old is a child.

martinhutch

The word paedophile doesn’t come into the legal definition. It’s more a potential description of the individual’s severe personality disorder.

binners

Would ‘wrong’un’ be a better word?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Would ‘wrong’un’ be a better word?

😀

bazzer
    Free Member

Whilst I am not condoning his actions one bit. I find it interesting that he is likely to get a harsher sentence than if he punched her in the mouth and broke her jaw for something she wanted to do and was bragging to her mates on social media about.

martinhutch

I think ‘Nonce’ could still apply legitimately here, since his new position is likely to be on the Rule 45 wing rather than the right wing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

binners – Member
    bikebouy – you are actually aware that this is the UK, not North Korea? Fortunately, if you’re accused of anything here, you get to go to trail. A proper trial too. Not one conducted by the tabloid press.

He told his employer that he was innocent of all charges, and intended to please not guilty to all those charges against him. Surely if they then sacked him, he’d be able to take them to court for unfair dismissal?

So don’t rail against his employer. They just did what they were legally, contractually obliged in doing, given the information they were supplied.

I can say and think what I like, I’m not alone in my opinion either.

I think to some degree his employer is complicit in this, suspension isn’t enough he should have been sacked there and then. And you can sack anyone for pretty much anything and certainly “bringing the game into disrepute” or “not representing the company in the correct manner that we expect in the public environment” is pretty much enough, plenty have been sacked for these type of incidents.

And I agree with the police wading in now stating their actions, good on em’ they should state the facts, in this high profile case. If now they’ve only just come out and said they told the club of the incident and it’s potential consequences then thats right, the case is closed and they can say what happened.

I think you quite like the fact that the club shunned responsibility.

binners

I can’t decide whether you’re a tabloid columnist, maybe Richard Littlejohn, or you’re presently sat in a Wsetminster think tank writing the Tories new employment legislation

Ether way I claim my bag of sweets

aracer
    Free Member

Sure, but you’re wrong (I’m resisting giving examples of other things lots of people agree with 😉 ). No you can’t sack people for pretty much anything.

Let’s just imagine for a moment somebody who is falsely accused. They go to their employer expressing their innocence, say they will plead not guilty and fight the charges. Their employer sacks them. Subsequently they are found not guilty. In what way has this person not represented their company properly, or brought anything into disrepute? Can you imagine the field day the lawyers would have?

As far as Sunderland were aware, what was the difference between Mr Johnson and the fictional person I’ve just described?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Adam Johnson’ is closed to new replies.