Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Achilles problem – What caused it?
  • Strangelove
    Free Member

I had a very painful achilles tendon on one ankle, I could only walk about fifty metres before the pain got too bad. There wasnt any sudden sharp pain, rather a gradual increase in ache until it became painful when I was twenty miles from home. After a week of rest, ice packs and ibuprofen gel it is feeling ok and I’m ready to risk a short ride.
    So I was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what could have caused my injury so that I do not break myself again

Thanks

MTT
    Free Member

Welcome to the club. lots of things can cause it. I assume you are using spd’s?

You shouldn’t be putting excessive load on the Achilles/Calf, you need to reduce the stress on this area. The stress is caused by overuse. Start by moving your cleat as far back (towards your ankle) as you can, bring seat hight down, move saddle forward.

Don’t let it persist.

fotorat
    Free Member

get your gait checked out – you might be suppinating or pronating excessivly and the netral SPD/shoe set up might cause the flare up.

If you are flat footed check out the Speccy BG insoles – I even use a pair in my ice skate boots!

MTT
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to adjust you seating position before investing in miracle cures from Specialized.

I over-pronate badly and have running shoes accordingly, I have had no luck when it comes to cycling shoe insoles, completely different forces at play.

greasystain
    Free Member

See your doctor – mine set me up with months of physio which came to nothing. Then he got me an appointment with a foot doctor (can’t remember the proper name for them) who made me some bespoke orthopedics to go in my shoes. Recovery was swift after that.

ajf
    Free Member

achillies tendinitis? You are r.i.ce’ing but one other thing that works is heel drops and raises off a step, focus more on the drop and stretch then raise and repeat (if it is tendinitis)

Other than that cross friction massage.

Can be caused by running (especially up hills) or any other repetitive motion that can strain the achillies. Also check your shoes, as the heel on them can often not help matters.

check out sportsinjuryclinic online can’t remember exact link and check out symptoms.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice
    I will move my cleats, lower the seat, move it forward and I suppose a new pair of shoes is worth a try
    I had guessed that overuse and repetitive motion had something to do with it. I am attempting to train for mountain mayhem solo so I havent got time for doctors physios and chiropodists. They can fix me in July.

Joxster
    Free Member

Your first question is ‘What have you changed?’

langylad
    Free Member

I had tendonitis for about 3 years and tried all sorts including 2 weeks of intensive therapy at a police convalescent home. When this didn’t work they referred me to Salford Uni podiatry dept., and apart from the fringe benefit of having 18 yr old female students practising on you, i was immediately cured. They filmed me running and built inserts there and then (£14 cost in total). They even made some new ones a year later when my dog ate them.
    A colleague had the same problem and all he did was ring the dept. and they booked him an appt. He too was sorted instantly. It might be worth a try if the problem persists.

epicyclo

How about chucking the SPDs and using flats? Your feet can float around then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Achilles problem – What caused it?’ is closed to new replies.